Elk Calls

BSeals71

WKR
Do you guys buy new elk calls every year? I played around with last years and they still sound OK... Wasn't sure if new calls make a difference.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I assume you're talking about mouth diaphragms. I have a bunch so I don't buy any new ones, but I'll use one until it just won't do what I want it to do anymore. I always carry extras, so I have no problem switching it out. But I do wash all the new ones to get the powder off and out of between the latex layers on them before I use them.

By the way.......you should be using them year round anyway.;)

Last edited:

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you keep them in refrig over the off season you may be able to get several seasons with them, but once they dry out or you call in too many bulls in with them they expire:) I tend to buy a couple backups each year.

littlebuf

Banned
New ones every year with last years for a back up. You won't hear the difference until you buy a new one to compare with your old ones. The new ones going to be louder and a bit sharper. Your old ones will still sound like elk calls

Clarktar

WKR
What mouth diaphragms are people using? I have been using various bugling bull game calls. Curious to hear other peoples choices..

mt100gr.

WKR
Local guy in Kalispell makes Glacier Country Calls. I have been using them for a few years with excellent success. Definitely recommend them.

Clarktar

WKR
Yea, I remember Jason, I think he works for Weyerhauser, or used to atleast....have yet to use his calls, but would be interested in testing.

Last edited:

Vector

FNG
I will second putting them in the fridge. They will last a little longer that way, but not a whole lot longer than the year. The latex stretches and begins to break down. Mouth calls are a disposable thing. They've got to be. Thin latex is just not made to last a long time.

Be sure to clean them before putting them away for a long period of time too. Especially at room temperature or above, bacteria can grow on them. You can end up with a 'nasty cold/sore throat' while on your hunting trip, and it can be because of that bacteria.

Vector

littlebuf

Banned
Rockys calls are the only ones I use ( Bugling bull) I've tried about all the others but there the only ones that fit right for me. I have a pretty narrow bridge. I actually had a tooth pulled a few years back so elk calls would better fit my mouth. It made a pretty big difference in range of tone

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bulging bull for me. He really has a good range of calls. All star and mellow yellow are my two favorites right now.

PA 5-0

WKR
Ole grey beard taught me one time how to keep calls fresh: keep them in a container in the frig with a cotton ball dipped in mouthwash. Keeps reeds fresh for years.

inline

FNG
New calls from Rocky Mountain

Has anyone tried the new calls from Rocky Mountain the Rockstar or the All American? If so what did you think?

flytrait

Lil-Rokslider
I use Glacier Country Hunting calls as well. He makes the best doubles in my opinion, and has the most elky sound.

jmez

WKR
I replace my calls every year. I prefer calls with tight reeds so I wear them out pretty quickly . I use Glacier Country calls.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I had never heard of Glacier Country Calls, and then just this afternoon I was going through a drawer and found one that said "watermelon" on it, and realized it was a Glacier Country Call. I have a few of his calls, but have never used them. Maybe I'll give them a shot this year.