Elk calling tactics and tips: ElkNut App?

traildust

Lil-Rokslider
I suck at calling!!! Don't reallly understand how , when & why . I want to get better at it and be comfortable enough to be able to use them in the field. Specifically, diaphragm calls.

Started practicing Jan 1, but looking for guidance.

Is the ElkNut Pro App what I'm looking for? Or any other suggestions?

TIA

MHB

FNG
Where do you plan to hunt Elk? I ask because the tactic will be different in different states.

I do not have any experience with the Elk nut app, but do have his CDs and book. Paul is based out of Idaho (I Believe) and the tactics are a little different there than in my home state of Colorado. In Colorado I prefer Chris Roe's App and education system (roe hunting resources). I have found more sucess with cow calls vs. bugeling in the areas I hunt.

The Elk 101 system has good informaiton, but just wasn't my style.

OP
traildust

traildust

Lil-Rokslider
Where do you plan to hunt Elk? I ask because the tactic will be different in different states.

I do not have any experience with the Elk nut app, but do have his CDs and book. Paul is based out of Idaho (I Believe) and the tactics are a little different there than in my home state of Colorado. In Colorado I prefer Chris Roe's App and education system (roe hunting resources). I have found more sucess with cow calls vs. bugeling in the areas I hunt.

The Elk 101 system has good informaiton, but just wasn't my style.
Mostly West slope. Want a better understand of elk talk too. I'll check out Chris Roe also...thanks

Reactions: MHB
OP
traildust

traildust

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately in the area I hunt in Colorado if you hear a bugle it’s about a 95% chance that it’s another hunter.
I haven't run into that yet, but them mule deer hunters sure keep the animals moving!

OkayestHNTR

Lil-Rokslider
Have both, can’t go wrong with either. I haven’t used the ElkNut Pro yet, but based on the OG app, Roe Hunting Resources (RHR) will provide with more elk knowledge in addition to calling how to. There also the Elk Calling Academy with Michael Batease. Haven’t checked out ECA (sounds like he’s reworking his platform) but I intend to soon.

Search all in the podcast player of your choice - all have a ton of free content. After listening to their free stuff I think you’ll be happy to pay for them.

OP
traildust

traildust

Lil-Rokslider
Have both, can’t go wrong with either. I haven’t used the ElkNut Pro yet, but based on the OG app, Roe Hunting Resources (RHR) will provide with more elk knowledge in addition to calling how to. There also the Elk Calling Academy with Michael Batease. Haven’t checked out ECA (sounds like he’s reworking his platform) but I intend to soon.

Search all in the podcast player of your choice - all have a ton of free content. After listening to their free stuff I think you’ll be happy to pay for them.
Thanks for the info!

87TT

WKR
Get the Elknut App. Especially for calling. It has Paul calling, then a real elk calling, Then you can record yourself and play it back to listen how you sound. Surprising but it sounds different listening to it back vs. when you are calling.

Whip

WKR
Go with the Pro version. Hands down, it's the best money you will ever spend on elk hunting!

Sometimes, and maybe most times, the best calling isn't vocal at all. Elk are noisy animals. Breaking branches in "normal" ways isn't a threat to them...

bentarrow

FNG
Elk nut app great. So is elk 101. Elk r elk. U learn to call and understand vocal meaning and u b good. Good luck.