Elk call for someone with terrible gag reflex?

So I have an AMP diaphragm call....I watched a few videos...I literally cannot even hold it on my tongue without gagging. Bringing it to the roof of my mouth and figuring out positions is completely out of the question. I'm considering trimming the tape way down, but I doubt it will help. When I was a kid, I had retainers, the orthodontist had to trim my retainers down to just a 3/8" horseshoe. The roof of my mouth is super sensitive.

So what are my elk calling options? Are there external calls? Are they not as good, or do people just like the ability to be hands free?

bsnedeker

WKR
Lots of external reed calls available. They work great for cow calling (I actually prefer them for cow sounds). There are also external reed bugle tubes, but I have not found one that I like personally.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes there are some external Reed bugle tubes I've had some luck with berry thunder bugle but they are somewhat limiting. Maybe try a smaller framed call Rocky mountain and primos makes some typically labeled for kids or ladies. I've used the pink Rocky call. Those are also limiting as they are usually single reed calls.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

big44a4

WKR
I push the call as far forward as I can when I use a diaphragm. The metal amp dome touches the back of my teeth at the top where they meet the roof of my mouth. Let me know if that doesn’t make any sense. With it sitting forward I can make all the calls and nowhere close to gagging. I think placement is preference to where you can make the best sounds the easiest.

In addition to that there are a lot of external calls for bugles and cow calls out there. Primos, Rocky Mountain, and Phelps to name a few brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fullfan

WKR
I received the power bugle and the thunder bugle for xmas In only several minutes I had the power bugle working like a charm. I have several mouth diaphragm and the tube from Rocky mountain. Having problems getting any sound close to a bugle, have watched every video around and not having much luck.

Jimss

WKR
I had the same thing happen with diaphragms. When I took up turkey hunting I pretty much had to learn how to use a mouth call. Once I got used to it I would never use anything else! There are so many different things you can do with a diaphragm compared to other calls....plus your hands are free (anyway with turkey calls without a grunt tube).

I have a super small, narrow mouth and trim all my mouth calls. Once I figured out the correct size I traced and cut out my other calls to match. Once I trimmed my call to the correct size I left my mouth call inside my mouth for extended periods of time so I got used to it.

There must be some good elk youtube videos available somewhere? If not, you may want to look up turkey youtube videos? It may sound strange watching turkey videos to figure out how to use an elk call but believe me there are some great turkey youtube videos that will get you started! You actually use your tong, roof of your mouth, lungs, and stomach to bring out calls. Turkey calling is literally an art because there are so many different calls and tones. Now that I know how to turkey call.....elk calling is a piece of cake!

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If it is hard for you to us a diaphragm I would recommend the Primos cow girl elk call they are easy to us and last a long time. Then for a bugle I have had good luck with the Primos terminator elk system the few times i played with it in the field. But those two calls will definitely buy past the gag reflex problem.

IdahoHntr

WKR
I have always liked the old power bugle, but most of the options above will get the job done.

Diaphragm calls are just so much more versatile that you shouldn't give up though! I have a terrible gag reflex as well and never thought I'd be able to use a diaphragm call, but with a lot of practice my gag reflex got better. I used to not be able to put a call in my mouth with out gagging, but now I have one in my mouth every day in the elk woods. I had to practice EVERY day though and if I didn't practice for a while, my gag reflex would return. Really practice breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth and if you're anything like me, you will get there. It really did take months though, and I honestly thought I'd never make it work, so just keep trying a little every day.

For those that have the power bugle, what color of band are you using and finding success with? And do you ever change the band during a hunt or just go with one band from the get go?

wytx

WKR
I use the tan, white, bands on one of my calls and gray on the other. I have 2 and cut one tube a little shorter for a different sound.
And always carry extras, seems limbs and tall grass like to steal them off your call.
You can manipulate the position of the band on the mouthpiece for different tones.

I have a horrible gag reflex. I started by trimming the reeds. I have used wapiti river reeds too. However, what worked best was to start early and just put the reed in my mouth. I didn’t blow on it but just left it there. Move it around as you need for comfort. By the end of the summer I could use all the reeds.

OP
B
Just coming back to this, I recently ordered a couple more diaphragms to play with....I'm going to try trimming them way down. I'll update when I get them in my hands.

Cdroot89

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same problem. I can use a call for a minute or two and then I gag and am not able to use it anymore. My gag reflex is so strong that I can’t even brush my teeth without gagging. I bought some numbing throat spray called pro blo (you don’t have to have much of an imagination to figure out its original intended use), it has helped me some but I still gag. Maybe it will help you.

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
Rocky mountain mistress is a good call for beginners or people with a gag reflex.Ive tried most of phelps calls and they just aren't as comfortable for me