Elk broadheads

Which broadhead do you guys like out of these 4 for elk. 470 grain arrow out of 50 lb hybrid long bow . all 150 grains shaving sharp . 1) magnus 2) grizzly 3) magnus 220220714_225352.jpg 4) vpa penetrator? ( done woodies all my life and switched to blackeagle vintage carbons last year)

Northwest

FNG
Which broadhead do you guys like out of these 4 for elk. 470 grain arrow out of 50 lb hybrid long bow . all 150 grains shaving sharp . 1) magnus 2) grizzly 3) magnus 2View attachment 428690 4) vpa penetrator? ( done woodies all my life and switched to blackeagle vintage carbons last year)
I like any of the left 3. I feel like the short and stubbies are too blunt but the blades on the longer broadheads slip right through. As always shot placement matters.

Tradchef

WKR
I’ve killed a good bit with the vpas and grizzlies. I’ve heard great things about the magnus 2. Vpa is super tough and so are the grizzlies. I think all would do just fine for you. I’d go with the most accurate and roll with it. If it were my money I’d pick Vpa first then Grizzly

bigjohn2

FNG
Wind plane would be my thought on a couple of them. Accuracy & shot placement is the right answer though. I shoot a head called viper trick made by slick trick. Totally non traditional head but it is solengen steel razor shipped from germany. Still, doesn’t help if placement is off but they fly like field point.

OP
G
I have a bunch of old grizzlies. My brother shot a buck 2 years ago and got a little shoulder blade . The tip cracked off. Not sure if it's true but I heard the past couple years grizzly had exchanged hands a few times and steel qc was a little concerning. Leaning towards the vpa. A little hard to grasp tiny little broadhead coming from previous grizzly El grandes

RickH

Lil-Rokslider
As stated, any of them razor sharp will work just fine. Personally, I have shot a lot of animals with the Grizzly, I get good arrow flight, good blood trails, and most animals I've shot with them have died within sight. I've shot a lot with the Magnus too with good results but never tried the VPAs. I used a Cutthroat 150 SB on my last elk and he died within sight too. It looks a little like the VPA.

It’s hard to break away from the 3:1 ratio from the years of data and physics. But I try new stuff here and there. I’m a fan of VPA terminators and penetrators. They are shorter than I prefer and wind plane isn’t as much. Also the tip is way less likely to curl. It’s also hard for me to shy away from the proven 2 blade single bevel grizzly.

So here’s what I suggest. I’ve done this on western hunts where there’s chances of severe wind or weather. Split your quiver carry two of each and have a small game setup arrow. My vote is for 2 & 4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigjohn2

FNG
I love a shared quiver. Seems I order my arrows 1st choice on down (OCD) then a judo for end. Mixing works!

OP
G
Have a mule deer hunt first. I think I'm going start out with vpa first and see how it goes , but with a couple grizzlies in the quiver as well . In Reality I'll throw a mix of broadheads in the truck. We will see in the next month or two . Good luck fellas .shoot straight

bigjohn2

FNG
Presently, similar. But I can totally identify with shawns 2 & 4
Whatever you choose just be sure they fly like you practice. We don’t want to switch up on the same quiver with something that doesn’t fly like your field point. Unless you can keep all that straight.
In the moment of truth I want all my arrows to fly alike.