Elevated II vs Open Country?

So I’m comparing different camps because I have OCD and split hairs.

I’m starting to realize staying still is more important than the type of camo you use, but still comparing these patterns I don’t know what will blend better (I live in Alaska and am packing hunts, but I also hunt whitetails in a treestand in New England)

Thoughts?photo-output.jpeg

I like Elevated II and use it for pretty much everything from Turkey to Elk. I have also killed plenty of whitetail in solid colors with a blaze orange vest on. I am certain thousands of animals die every season to hunters in Wal Mart camo. Pick what you like and go with it.

I’ve killed whitetail deer with a bow in open country and my wife has killed elk with a bow in elevated. We’ve both killed caribou in kuiu vias. To be honest, I’m usually running around in Sitka open country accent pants and first lite fusion base layer top during archery elk. Same with hunting whitetail. Only time my camo matches is when I put a jacket on. I like pieces of gear from each brand. Had to buy most of it to figure out what I liked but I think I have it dialed in. Those accent pants are the only pants I like from Sitka. I can’t stand the mountain pants. The fit is terrible. And for the most part the camp patterns are primarily for marketing and sales. Although there have been some studies that have shown certain patterns do better at breaking up outlines at distance. I’m still shocked that there aren’t more options in ASAT. That’s a killer camo pattern for blending in. Especially in a tree.

Also, the easiest way to blend in is to be still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
Either. I'm a bit OCD as well and will put any data of any kind into spreadsheets. I own some of both payterns but mostly EVII. I personally think that Sub Alpine is the most dynamic pattern and color palette. However, I hunt over 400 hours a year mostly from treestands and even when on the ground and wind in my favor I've had multiple whitetail doe within 10 yards of me. They can't see you.

The two patterns you're looking at are both of similar color palette and mix well if you'd like. The biggest thing is what type of item do you need? Not all models of Sitka Gear are available in each pattern. And that does matter. When I wanted an Evo last year I got it in OC because there was no EV option and the palette matched EV better.

Different pieces/models and your need or want is going to drive choice. You'll be fine with either and may be like me and find you mix and match depending on weather and location.

Tmac

WKR
When animals are in camo, then I’d worry about a given camo pattern. Generally speaking, a more open design, open being more light colors, works well in the west. All that said, scent and movement are my focus. I’m perfectly happy with tans and greys. For WT in Maine, zero experience.

OP
A
Either. I'm a bit OCD as well and will put any data of any kind into spreadsheets. I own some of both payterns but mostly EVII. I personally think that Sub Alpine is the most dynamic pattern and color palette. However, I hunt over 400 hours a year mostly from treestands and even when on the ground and wind in my favor I've had multiple whitetail doe within 10 yards of me. They can't see you.

The two patterns you're looking at are both of similar color palette and mix well if you'd like. The biggest thing is what type of item do you need? Not all models of Sitka Gear are available in each pattern. And that does matter. When I wanted an Evo last year I got it in OC because there was no EV option and the palette matched EV better.

Different pieces/models and your need or want is going to drive choice. You'll be fine with either and may be like me and find you mix and match depending on weather and location.
Let me guess.. dew point jacket

Buckhead

FNG
I think they are pretty similar and often use them together. Both are shades of grey, coloration is about the same. Pattern varies a little, but virtually no contrast in the patterns. As deer are pretty much color blind, black and white photos confirm the similarity.

Last edited:
I don't think it really matters, except for personal choice. BUT I read somewhere on a Sitka site that the "Elevated" was designed for tree stand use due to the colors that blend better with tree top foliage, and the "Open Country" was designed for open terrain, etc where the quarry (animal hunted) is more of a distance away-100 yards and further. I hunt mostly out West with a rifle and nothing from a tree stand, so I chose "Open Country".

SloppyJ

WKR
I use EV2, Sub-Alpine, and the Timber duck pattern. Doesn't seem to matter. I've become a fan of a uv free wash and that's about all I care about anymore. I used to get crazy with ozone and all kinds of stuff. The best thing I've found is to spray down my clothes and let them hang outside overnight. I'll throw them in a stuff sack and put them on when I get to my spot.