Electrical Tape on Muzzle?

For anyone that hunts in wet conditions like Western Washington, do you do anything to seal the primer better? I think I read once that some people put a little Vasoline or chapstick around the outside of the primer to keep water out of the breech.

Is that necessary? Does something what with better?
Never heard of either of those on a primer. I used to use fingernail polish applied with a toothpick, but haven't been doing it lately. You can purchase Markron primer sealer which is the same as fingernail polish. Put a dab on the primer, then wipe off the excess with a papertowel before it dries.

bjwiech

FNG
Never heard of either of those on a primer. I used to use fingernail polish applied with a toothpick, but haven't been doing it lately. You can purchase Markron primer sealer which is the same as fingernail polish. Put a dab on the primer, then wipe off the excess with a papertowel before it dries.

I see I didn't indicate this in my original post, but I was talking about a muzzleloader primer. That Markron product looks a little permanent to use on an online muzzleloader primer.

I see I didn't indicate this in my original post, but I was talking about a muzzleloader primer. That Markron product looks a little permanent to use on an online muzzleloader primer.
Sorry, I misunderstood. It has been a long time since I used a muzzleloader. Way back when, we used aerosol hair spray (in a can) to help seal the cap primer on the nipple against moisture. We didn't have inline ML at the time.
Good Luck, I'm sure someone has a suggestion.

bjwiech

FNG
np
I was buzzing through some muzzleloader threads and crossed my wires thinking this was one of those so left out critical details. lol

199p

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know why you wouldn't do it, even if im using a rifle cover i always tape it and keep some extra on the suppressor or in my pack for after the shot.

I’ve just thought about using a muzzle cover from GoHunt or just throwing on a gun sock cover. Depends on the conditions of the hunt I suppose

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody tried this with a suppressor?
Regularly with an aluminum suppressor, I use a decent quality electrical tape, just a single layer over the end.
No pressure issues or any extra build up inside the suppressor as the tape just blows out when the shot goes off.

During muzzleloader season Ive stopped at the gas station and bought some non lubricated condoms. Works great, I just had to explain to my wife why there was a condom wrapper in the floorboard of my truck

For anyone that hunts in wet conditions like Western Washington, do you do anything to seal the primer better? I think I read once that some people put a little Vasoline or chapstick around the outside of the primer to keep water out of the breech.

Assuming you’re talking about an inline with 209 ignition? If your 209 fits your plug correctly, there should be little chance of moisture getting into the breech end. And 209s are very water resistant themselves. I wouldn’t want anything on or near the primer that might affect it or the powder.

As for the muzzle (on a muzzy) I always tape. Finger cots and balloons rarely last very long on my rifles.

EdP

WKR
A magazine article several years back had info on the effect of tape vs just a tiny bit of water at the muzzle end. The water caused a large deviation on POI whereas the effect of tape was insignificant.

I have learned to always keep the muzzle taped when hunting, even in dry conditions. Given the chance I might pull off the tape, but if time is short I don't worry about it.

Several years ago while on a guided hunt, I noticed the rifle scabbard on the horse I was riding had some dirt and debris in the end and it was getting in the muzzle end of my rifle. A patch through the bore and tape on the end solved that problem.

About a month ago I had gone out to practice shooting from field positions. As I set up to shoot sitting off sticks, I lost control of the buttstock and the rifle pivoted on the sticks putting the muzzle in the dirt. That was sloppy handling on my part, but a quick trip to my cleaning station had the rifle back in service. On a hunt it could have been a disaster without a taped muzzle.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Outing a piece of tape over the muzzle, around the muzzle brake, or over the suppressor has zero (0) effect on point of impact.

The first shot I/we take with every gun, every time is with a taped muzzle.

I have done it for years, nothing worst than being 3 miles from the truck and got a barrel full of snow or mud. I tried the painters tape one year just so i didn't have any residue on the end of the barrel but went back to electrical tape. No POI change and its cheap insurance.

Gorp2007

WKR
Anybody tried this with a suppressor?

I used green painters tape last year, held up to the elements and easier to get full coverage over the suppressor.

c122490056ef756eb6c4f46584bdbd40.jpg

taskswap

WKR
This year I sprang for a pack of these:

They sell a similar product for caulk tubes and they work really well. They're not really "better" than electrical tape but there's no residue and it's easy to carry a few extras. I usually have extra electrical tape anyway in my emergency kit (wrapped around a pen, like most do) but for $0.30 ea, I like the convenience of these.

cumminsbassguy

Lil-Rokslider
100% always tape my muzzle. rifle rides in my bag 90% of the day. Gets set down and the barrel is near the ground, going through alder choked hell holes, walking around the willows. I will never not tape it. Take it off at the end of season and give the whole gun a good cleaning

rayporter

WKR

the next time you are shooting test this.
drop a couple primers in a cup of water and start loading and shooting.