Electrical Tape on Muzzle?

I'm pretty much a novice on gun hunting out west. Ive bookef a moose hunt in western Alberta this year & have questions about taping the muzzle on my 300 Win Mag. Is it really necessary? Does it effect the point of impact? Is just electrical tape the best to keep moisture out of the barrel?

Thanks in advance!

bpeay4

Lil-Rokslider
people do this to keep water and debris out of the barrel while hunting. It does not affect impact. the pressure in the barrel blows the tape off before the bullet even exits the barrel. Their are some youtube videos that prove this.

I like to cut a finger off a rubber glove, slide it over the muzzle break and do one wrap of electrical tape around the bottom. less sticky residue on your muzzle that way.

Ditto.

I use electrical or duct tape. Have buried my barrel in both snow and mud and been glad I had it.

OLDnSLOW

FNG
Absolutely correct. Taping the muzzle is insurance for keeping weather and debris from entering your barrel. And as stated, the pressure will blow the tape (which I use) off before the bullet ever reaches it.

As a side note, once after I pulled my rifle from a scabbard on a horse I noticed a small twig (which was apparently in the scabbard) protruding from the muzzle (caught by the tape). Not sure I would have noticed it if the tape hadn't been there as it would have certainly gone further into the barrel.

I always tape my muzzle. In agreement will all above, protecting your barrel is critical. I have proven to myself a dozen times that POI does not shift due to the tape. The way I wrap on my brake it is completely gone after the first shot. I have always wanted to do some high speed imaging to see it is off before the bullet exits.

Having said all that, when I have time, I also always take it off before a shot... Not because I have any data that I need to but just because.

8wivxw.jpg

ORhunter74

Lil-Rokslider
would this work on a muzzleloader too?
It absolutely does. I hunted for 3 days in the pouring rain and it kept everything in the barrel dry when I shot on the third day. Wish I could say the same for the ramrod. It swelled so badly that I couldn’t get it back out of the gun to reload. I’ve since switched to a synthetic stock and ramrod.

ljalberta

WKR
I almost always tape my muzzle. But funny enough after shooting a bear this spring, I did not retape the muzzle. I did however find a handy field solution for covering the bore though by falling in a creek and getting a nice 4” layer of mud down the muzzle.

3DBBF604-7646-4AB5-8D1D-2D0E8280A244.jpeg

A few years back ran into a guy that put a ballon on his muzzle... never tried it myself but kind of like the idea haha

Fwiw I tried the rubber rubber glove (expensive) ad finger cot things. They sorta work but tear. Tape is cheap and more durable IMO and I am usually carrying some anyway.

TN Tyrant

FNG
I've put a balloon over my rifle barrel when hunting out west. Real easy to take off just prior to shooting if you are concerned about the tape covering the barrel.

huntnful

WKR
Balloon is much easier and stays put. And covers muzzle brakes if you have them. I keep 2 extras in my pack.

It is important to keep water and debris out of your muzzle for legit first round accuracy if you're in wet field conditions.

mcseal2

WKR
I tape the muzzle when hunting western game or in AK. Never worried about it hunting whitetail or coyotes unless it's raining. I always have tape in my pack just in case. I tape over the brake too if I have one.

hikenhunt

WKR
I always tape with electrical tape. One strip across the end (exit hole) and a few wraps around the end (circular) to help hold the end strip in place and replace the end strip after I shoot.