Electrical Tape on muzzle

I'm pretty much a novice on gun hunting out west. Ive bookef a moose hunt in western Alberta this year & have questions about taping the muzzle on my 300 Win Mag. Is it really necessary? Does it effect the point of impact? Is just electrical tape the best to keep moisture out of the barrel?

Thanks in advance!

Tmac

WKR
Your call.

Not that I can tell for my hunting, generally 400 yards and in.

Regular electrical tape is what I use, when I use it. Ends up being used on about 1/3 of my hunts. Moisture, debris, etc., even snow stay out. Usually criss cross over muzzle and maybe one wrap a half inch ish down the barrel to help secure it.

I use elect tape on all my muzzles and have even fully-wrapped brakes. Works great. Balloons and finger cots get torn off when I try them.

OP
woodmaster0462
It is. I’ve tried balloons, finger cots etc, I almost always manage to tear them off at some point. Electrical tape holds much better and has not created problems I have ever heard of. Scared the heck out of me at first.
I'm a Midwestern whitetail hunter so I've never really had to do this. Scares me to. I'll diffently go to the range and try it before I head to Alberta

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I went out to the shooting range and had to see it for myself with electrical tape. I have a 300 win mag with a muzzle break and I didn't notice a difference between my 200 yard zero and 800 so I always wrap up the muzzle before hunting

AKDoc

WKR
I started putting a single piece of electrical tape over the muzzle of my rifle when out hunting many years ago...and have been doing it every time since.

I did initially pretest at the range and I had no change in point of impact with or without tape...and that was the same for me with different rifles and calibers/cartridges (375H&H, 257 WBY, 7mm-08). I also handload my own ammunition and I never noticed any apparent pressure signs. BTW, none of my rifles have a muzzle break.

It's an individual decision for each of us. Having a piece of electrical tape over the muzzle has been the way to go for me...I'm hunting in remote and often rainy settings while living out of a tent for 10-14 days,

The tape is blown off by the air pressure in front of the bullet. I have been doing this for years and had all moose hunting clients doing it as well. It is a good "just in case"

Also take two or three turns around your barrel before you put the over the muzzle. That way you have back up in case you need it after the first shot....

Cheers

SS

manitou1

WKR
I put two finger cots on the end and hold them in place with a wrap of electrical tape.
One cot seemed to tear easily, but two will last through weeks of hunting until I pull the trigger.

Fatcamp

WKR
Electrical tape made no difference on POI for my rifles.

We use it for every hunt.

roymunson

WKR
I've gone on hunts with them. The only time I really had the chance to shoot with it on, I had time to peel it off and shot without it.

But I've tested at the range and it's fine

WCB

WKR
I'm a Midwestern whitetail hunter so I've never really had to do this. Scares me to. I'll diffently go to the range and try it before I head to Alberta
I do it to my firearms anytime there is snow on the ground (I'm from MN). I also did it to almost all my clients rifles when guiding out west. Is it absolutely needed...no. Have I seen guys take a digger and burry their muzzle into snow or mud/dirt? absolutely.

It has zero effect on your rifles performance. I put a strip over the end then do 3-4 wraps around the barrel to hold that strip on and it gives me extra so if I shoot I can add a piece back on. I've killed dozens and had clients kill dozens of animals with taped muzzles...no issues.

elkmaster

FNG
I'm pretty much a novice on gun hunting out west. Ive bookef a moose hunt in western Alberta this year & have questions about taping the muzzle on my 300 Win Mag. Is it really necessary? Does it effect the point of impact? Is just electrical tape the best to keep moisture out of the barrel?

Thanks in advance!
unless you are sitting for days in severe weather there is no need to protect your muzzle. Let's hear from someone who went to take a shot and fouled it because there was too much rain or snow in their bbl?

I'm not talking about debris from poking in the mud