Electric calling for Coyotes?

I recently was given an icotec outlaw and would like to work on the local coyote population where I hunt. Where would I begin to start? Set the caller up out in front of me , make sure my concealment , the wind direction is in my favor, and my smell are covered as much as possible then just try a rabbit distress sequence I am thinking ? Kinda wanted to get peoples thoughts on what’s successful for them I hunt very hilly rocky areas with lots of hard wood trees and small fingerling creeks scattered through it here in Missouri

mcr-85

WKR
It's denning season right now. I'd play vocals, pup distress and fights. The closer you can get to the den the better.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

crrakcrrak

Lil-Rokslider
It's hard to beat the Icotec calls, depending on your budget the GC500 has 200 sounds and a remote with 300 yard range for about $200, and if you want to go with something that is super loud and very clear sounding you can go with the Night Stalker that comes with 240 sounds, 300 yard remote, the ability to play 2 sounds at a time and a 5 year warranty for about $380. I use the Icotec Night Stalker and have taken over 400 coyote in the last 4 years.

JeffP_Or

WKR
... the wind direction is in my favor....
Be careful with this - coyotes, unlike ungulates, will circle downwind most times. So even if the wind is in your favor at the time you set up, predators will turn the wind to their favor before committing. Hunting solo, I often just make sure the wind is moving left/right or right/left.

A movement decoy - if allowed - is helpful as a distraction and can be had for cheap.

Echo the spring denning notes above; mix in a deer fawn distress as the parents will be hunting to bring food back to the den. If in farmland, give a calf or goat distress a try as well. Start quieter and progress to louder as you move through the call sequence; they have good hearing so loud to us is blaring to them [not always bad].

Set up mid-slope or near top slope - don't skyline; put that big oak trunk behind you to lean up against. I like the calls to be 40 - 80 yards out and below me. If by rocky, this means hunkering in the shadow of an outcropping, that works [but watch for snakes].

The more you go the more you learn! Shoot straight!

OP
U
Be careful with this - coyotes, unlike ungulates, will circle downwind most times. So even if the wind is in your favor at the time you set up, predators will turn the wind to their favor before committing. Hunting solo, I often just make sure the wind is moving left/right or right/left.

A movement decoy - if allowed - is helpful as a distraction and can be had for cheap.

Echo the spring denning notes above; mix in a deer fawn distress as the parents will be hunting to bring food back to the den. If in farmland, give a calf or goat distress a try as well. Start quieter and progress to louder as you move through the call sequence; they have good hearing so loud to us is blaring to them [not always bad].

Set up mid-slope or near top slope - don't skyline; put that big oak trunk behind you to lean up against. I like the calls to be 40 - 80 yards out and below me. If by rocky, this means hunkering in the shadow of an outcropping, that works [but watch for snakes].

The more you go the more you learn! Shoot straight!
Definitely did no think about the change in wind tactics for a predator versus prey lol

JeffP_Or

WKR
Definitely did no think about the change in wind tactics for a predator versus prey lol
You can cheat it with terrain sometimes - use a draw or one of your creeks; they'll often funnel along those lines instead of coming up a hill to get downwind if your sound is opposite the bottom from you. Can be tough to spot them in treed bottoms though.
And even with all that - educated coyotes that get hunted can toss all that knowledge out the window! Or, sometimes, they hear that challenge call and throw all caution to the wind and charge in.
Get out, figure out some areas, try to put some of the tips to use and see how it goes! And post some pics...

TheGDog

WKR
I'd suggest at first... trying without a motion decoy. It can make them hang-up out of curiosity about the decoy. Like wanting to "get a read" on it before they decide to commit to coming in. Even seen some freak out and split when they saw the motion decoy. So I don't run it anymore.

I second the proposition of making your sit spot be looking upon the caller thru a crosswind. Whenever possible, stuff the caller into the branches of a bush/juniper etc. to get it off the ground so the sound goes out even farther and it invokes intrigue since it's up higher.

And don't forget to walk in quietly to the sit spot. And then... when starting to play the first sound.. have the volume not be higher than the natural limits of that type of animal.. just in case there is one nearby that isn't aware of your presence yet and might come in VERY quickly to the caller after you begin. Which leads me to my next stickler point to remember...

Be totally ready with your firearm (cartridge loaded, optic on lowest power, laid across your lap in such a way to make for easiest pickup and raise to target.

Baby Jack Rabbit is a great goto type of sound to start with. Or.. if visually you note in your area there are predominantly CottonTails, then perhaps use that to up the realism by matching to your area and what it offers.

It's all about you orchestrating the right placement of the caller in relation to your sit spot. All the while keeping you in the shadow and backed up against some bush/shrub/scrub-oak/juniper sitting low to the ground as you can while effectively being able to still make shots. And if the area and the kinds of spots it presents you with tend to have shorter distances, like no more than 40ish yds... hihgly recommend tryng it with a shotgun instead. Tried some Heavy Bismuth #4 shot for Duck Loads and those worked well for the 25yd type shots I was doing. With steel shot stuff for Doves/Upland being only thing on hand, I had not good results. If you're trying .223 Rem, give those Hornady NTX 35gr a try! They wop 'em but good!

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
It's denning season right now. I'd play vocals, pup distress and fights. The closer you can get to the den the better.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
This. If you have a howl on your call, use that to locate some dogs and move in and use more coyote vocals to pull them into range. Pay attention to wind like you said and have fun.