Thermals are ruining daytime coyote hunting

I see a difference between predator control and hunting.

I support measures to protect livestock any time of day, but strongly oppose night time hunting. That's the one time of day these animals get a break from us. Hunting at night with thermal sights is small PP energy...

I support measures to protect livestock any time of day, but strongly oppose night time hunting. That's the one time of day these animals get a break from us. Hunting at night with thermal sights is small PP energy...

So if a coyote eats a calf at night it’s ok, but in the daytime it’s not? If we quit hunting them at night can we just coexist and they will leave the calves alone then?

So if a coyote eats a calf at night it’s ok, but in the daytime it’s not? If we quit hunting them at night can we just coexist and they will leave the calves alone then?

What? You quoted my comment twice but I don't think you understood it once.

I believe predator control, to protect property and livestock, any time of day is fine. That includes when it's dark outside. If a coyote is attacking your livestock, shoot it. The coyote is doing what is natural for it but that is coming in the way of someone's livelihood, so yeah, go ahead and shoot it with a fancy thermal sight.

I also believe night hunting is BS, with thermal sights or spotlights.

Humans have been coexisting with wildlife for thousands of years and without thermal sights. But eh, if you want to blast coyotes at night for fun and it's legal where you are, go ahead it's your right, I also reserve the right to disagree and think it's small PP energy.

I believe predator control, to protect property and livestock, any time of day is fine. That includes when it's dark outside. If a coyote is attacking your livestock, shoot it. The coyote is doing what is natural for it but that is coming in the way of someone's livelihood, so yeah, go ahead and shoot it with a fancy thermal sight.

Humans have been coexisting with wildlife for thousands of years and without thermal sights. But eh, if you want to blast coyotes at night for fun and it's legal where you are, go ahead it's your right, I also reserve the right to disagree and think it's small PP energy.
So in your mind there is a difference between “hunting coyotes” and “predator control”?

To your point about coexisting - yes prior to thermal sights humans used other methods to control their populations (poison/traps/aerial shooting/dogs/drives/bounties). We have now crossed an imaginary moral line with thermal sights?

I actually see way more hard charges during the day than at night. Probably because I’m getting closer to them before calling.

brockel

WKR

I’ll continue to rock my small PP energy and kill coyotes at night when I have the most time to do it. I’d give up hunting every other animal before I’d give up coyote hunting. From October to March I’m after them as much as possible. This also happens to be when the kids have most of their activities on the weekends and the wife’s tax season starts so night hunting has gotten me out WAY more than if I had to stick to day hunting.

WCB

WKR
I think it more of just the pressure....including daytime pressure. It became the "cool thing" to do. Like other cool things (running around the mountain blowing a bugle tube 300xs in a mile...bombing into bedding areas, etc) guys think it is just buy the equipment and go call.

But like the other "cool things" most people do them exactly the same. Park truck over hill, walk about 200yds over hill, sit down and call. Even though it takes 10minutes...hardly anybody walks 1/2 mile even more so in snow. Do something different and put in a little more effort and I think it works out the same as before. I haven't seen my success go up or down over the large sample in the last 5-6 years blind/cold calling. Where my success has gone way up is calling to Coyotes I have seen. I can make less calls and better callin ratio when I see a coyote then go after them. Most guys including thermal guys walk out and blindly call.