El Coyote vs Western Mountaineering

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if you can delete a post--but currently working with Brian to resolve any concerns that I had. Excellent customer service.

Attachments

• IMG_0358 2.JPG
    IMG_0358 2.JPG
    375 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0357.JPG
    IMG_0357.JPG
    390.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    231.6 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

BBob

WKR
I wouldn't think that's right and my 30° has more loft and fill than that. Have you weighed it and compared to their published specs? I'd email Brain at El Coyote and he'll figure it out.

mlgc20

WKR
It does look skimpy. My 0 degree UGQ has more loft than what appears in your picture. Although it's hard to tell from pictures. Agree with BBpb above. Weigh it and see if it meets specs.

FWIW - I weighed my wide/long UGQ quilt, using M10T fabric and 950 down. It came in at 35.6 ounces. The UGQ website has the weight estimated at 36.3 ounces. Your quilt should be somewhat similar depending on length and width you chose.

Last edited:

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It is all in the way you calculate the fill. WM''s are naturally over filled due to how they calculate it.

OP
T

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
Hi All,
I did connect with Brian and we are figuring it out. Their quilt came in exactly at spec weight--so I am guessing that maybe the WM bag is just very overbuilt. Ironically both the EC quilt and the WM bag are spec'd at 27oz of fill--but maybe the issue is that the WM bag has substantially more fill than what is advertised in their specs. If that's the case, I am unfairly comparing the EC quilt.

The quilt is a tall x-wide and the bag is a 7' bag--they have pretty darn close to the same surface area so you would think with the same amount of fill the baffles would have similar 'loftiness'. See the attache photo. You can see the WM baffles are full and 'rounded' whereas the EC baffles are flat/deflated.

Brian has been great answering all my questions before my quilt purchase and I'm sure we will figure it out.

Attachments

• IMG_0362.JPG
    IMG_0362.JPG
    360.3 KB · Views: 88

sneaky

"DADDY"
How long did you have it unpacked and allowed to loft before taking the pics?

OP
T

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
I know this is old post but was it resolved? I’m looking at either an el coyote or UGQ quilt
Yes, communicated directly with the owner and he resolved my concerns. Used the quilt last Fall down to zero degrees and it was great.