Efficient strategies for combining mountain rucking and field practice

I've been trying to figure out the best way to combine rucking in the mountains and getting field shooting practice from 300-800. In particular, what to use for targets and how to set them up to get a variety of positions, distances, etc all while being able to cover a lot of ground rucking.

About the only thing I can think of is taking a can of orange spray paint with me, hiking out and spraying rocks for targets on the way out, then shooting on the way back in.

Is there anything you've done that works particularly well? All ideas are welcomed

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I think a lot of people just shoot rocks and spot their shots. I would feel bad spray painting things (unless on private property) as that is a long lasting and obvious modification. Cardboard is light, and could be picked up on your way back. Steel gongs would add variability to the training weight.

If you cannot spot your own shots, a spotter set up with a phone scope could let you film it and go back and see.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I live and ruck in central AZ, so it is a target rich environment, lol, so I shoot rocks. I pick an area, a light spot, a dark spot ( be careful because a hole or crack can be a dark spot and make impacts interestingly harder. Then, I make sure and practice spotting my shots.

If you are rucking to get in shape where there are no rocks, maybe a steel plate and some pipes for support. Consider and include the painful work of setting up the steel as part of the conditioning process.

I do walk and shoots a couple of times a week when I am home and not at work. It is one of my favorite things to do. It forces me to get into awkward shooting positions and use the fundamentals so I can spot my shots and be honest about what I did right and what I did wrong. I try to do the first couple of shots through range guestimation, then I will use the range finder to identify the actual distance. This has been the single best way for me to get better at shooting. I am forced to shoot on a lower power magnification so I can spot the shots by seeing the trace. Of course that isn’t always the case, but being able to see the shot hit/miss at the target is a good indicator for me that my setup was solid and repeatable for a second shot.

OP
H
I think a lot of people just shoot rocks and spot their shots. I would feel bad spray painting things (unless on private property) as that is a long lasting and obvious modification. Cardboard is light, and could be picked up on your way back. Steel gongs would add variability to the training weight.

If you cannot spot your own shots, a spotter set up with a phone scope could let you film it and go back and see.

Good point on the paint.

OP
H
I do walk and shoots a couple of times a week when I am home and not at work. It is one of my favorite things to do. It forces me to get into awkward shooting positions and use the fundamentals so I can spot my shots and be honest about what I did right and what I did wrong. I try to do the first couple of shots through range guestimation, then I will use the range finder to identify the actual distance. This has been the single best way for me to get better at shooting. I am forced to shoot on a lower power magnification so I can spot the shots by seeing the trace. Of course that isn’t always the case, but being able to see the shot hit/miss at the target is a good indicator for me that my setup was solid and repeatable for a second shot.

I got good in my youth by running around the woods with a 22 and then 17hmr, going after squirrels and crows.

Clay pigeons are great for this, most of which also seem to be biodegradable these days. Small, reactive, easy to carry a bunch of if you're careful, easy to get to stay on brush, etc. I also think someone makes stands for them, where you slip the bird into a crescent shape on one end and then just push the other, pointed end into the dirt.

I'm the furthest thing from a hippie, but I try not to shoot anything that leaves a permanent mark or trash on the landscape. If for no other reason than to not give anti-gun, anti-hunter types another excuse or focus-point to go after our rights and freedoms. Especially where I live, in the high desert, stuff stays on the surface for literally decades or centuries, just because there's no annual leaf fall or even that much rain. That's the solution I've come up with, hope it helps.

OP
H
Clay pigeons are great for this, most of which also seem to be biodegradable these days. Small, reactive, easy to carry a bunch of if you're careful, easy to get to stay on brush, etc. I also think someone makes stands for them, where you slip the bird into a crescent shape on one end and then just push the other, pointed end into the dirt.

I'm the furthest thing from a hippie, but I try not to shoot anything that leaves a permanent mark or trash on the landscape. If for no other reason than to not give anti-gun, anti-hunter types another excuse or focus-point to go after our rights and freedoms. Especially where I live, in the high desert, stuff stays on the surface for literally decades or centuries, just because there's no annual leaf fall or even that much rain. That's the solution I've come up with, hope it helps.

Same here. I don't want to give anti gun folks any reason to complain. Where I typically shoot the ground is so littered with pigeons that I won't use them myself, just due to needing to pick up the shards. Stuff doesn't degrade in Utah. I've always just used cardboard on stakes.

I hike/hump/climb to a spot where I have several good rocks that can be easily identified. The best is when they cover a wide range of distances.

Hike. Set up my position, and let em fly. I take enough time so that the shots are good and if/when I miss I can make a good correction and be right on target. It’s been the best way to practice.

Word of caution though… it’s easy to call yourself a hit on a giant rock face. Be particular, aim for a specific part. A weird feature, discolored spot, unique crack, etc.

I don’t use paint and often times never go all the way out to the target. I can see the impacts through my various optics.

IMG_3673.jpeg

Last edited: