Efficiency

BowTrout

Lil-Rokslider
Ok so I have a pretty dumb question. How much efficiency and energy is lost when string walking or shooting with a fixed crawl? Have you guys noticed a difference, is it a fair amount or is it minimal?

Beendare

WKR
I tried a fixed crawl on one setup a couple years ago….long crawl of 7/8”, and I had to adjust the tune as my bareshafts were showing stiff.
I never chrono’d it but it had to be slightly less efficient.

My bet; short crawls of 1/4” or so won’t affect you much

Not much at all. I’m a 25.5-26 inch draw. My bare shaft stays the same on my stalker coyote with a a small crawl, prolly less then 1/2 an inch and takes my point in from 40 down to 25. I’ve killed a couple dozen critters the fixed crawl, it’s deadly. Adds a slight bit of noise but nothing drastic.

Beendare

WKR
Thinking about this;
You didn't mention the bow.

If it's a longer bow....a crawl has less of an effect. So for example, even with my 30.5" DL, if I was shooting a 68" bow...versus say a 58" bow...it will make a HUGE difference on efficiency- heck, it might not even work to crawl much on a short bow.

I used to shoot a 72" longbow a fellow lefty let me borrow to play around with and that bow was a dream to stringwalk on.

OP
B

BowTrout

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking about this;
You didn't mention the bow.

If it's a longer bow....a crawl has less of an effect. So for example, even with my 30.5" DL, if I was shooting a 68" bow...versus say a 58" bow...it will make a HUGE difference on efficiency- heck, it might not even work to crawl much on a short bow.

I used to shoot a 72" longbow a fellow lefty let me borrow to play around with and that bow was a dream to stringwalk on.
This is a 58” bow and about 26”DL. It seems to be working for me…. Depending on the day

This is a 58” bow and about 26”DL. It seems to be working for me…. Depending on the day
You’re fine at that length. I also have an 26 inch draw. I’ve used a crawl on 54 inch toelke pika and similar recurves just fine. The longer the length the easier is it as mentioned but with such a short draw length it doesn’t effect it as much.

“It depends.”

Bow length, tiller, finger width, release, how much crawl….

So, “some.” The question is are you more accurate?

Beendare

WKR
Efficiency wise, its been proven time after time that you don’t need much energy to pound a 2 blade BH through a critter.

Assuming you use an efficient BH, the minuscule loss of energy from the crawl is a non issue.