EE Enigma or Conundrum

Hoh Down

FNG
Hey All,

I'm looking to upgrade my sleeping bag situation and I'm leaning towards EE. I know that I want regular height / extra wide in a 10 degree quilt. The one question I am having a hard time answering is going straight quilt with the Enigma or a hybrid with the Conundrum. Having the ability to zip it up makes me more comfortable now that I'm leaving mummy bags in the past.

Have any of you run the Conundrum and liked or regretted it? There is only a few ounces difference between the two so right now I'm leaning towards the Conundrum.

Any insight is helpful as I'm looking to pull the trigger in the next few days to a week.

I went into the quilt route reluctantly. They sleep a little cooler than I’m used to but mind you I had a -20C mummy bag and I went to a 20deg Enigma.

I’m not minding it but I can see it isn’t for anyone. I’ve only slept in it for about two weeks now and it does the trick. I’m happy with the closed footbox.
You can snap them together under you and have it pretty tight.

My advice if you get the one that zips up is to go wider than you think you need if you need. To accommodate rolling around with it opposed to inside it.

You could always toss a regular bag on the ground and leave it unzipped to mimic a quilt. I've only used a quilt in a hammock, which more or less keeps you in the same spot. I don't think I've ever slept on the ground where I haven't slipped off the pad a little at some time during the night. Could have some impact on your decision.

I went convert. I can still zip if I like but I haven’t in 3-4 trips. Do the unzipped mummy bag thing before you buy. Or zipped to you knees and draped on top. Except for the hood in your face it will be pretty close to the quilt experience.

Call EE and get an idea of the finished dimensions of your piece. Their specs are for th unstuffed shell and you may want more length. My 84” long convert clocks in at 78” finished.

Thanks for the advice fellas. Mummy bags aren't comfortable at all for me, hence the switch to a quilt. I think that the Conundrum is leading my choice right now as I can run it as a straight quilt utilizing the snaps and straps, or if it gets too drafty on a really cold night I can zip up and eliminate that issue. Good suggestion on calling EE, I will try to do that today.

EE Conundrum has always been an interesting choice to me for a hoodless bag. With the new fill weights though it isn't really much lighter than comparably rated WM options.

I tried the open ended EE last year for a trip. It wasnt a good experience so I orderd the Enigma. It's fantastic! I went with a 30 degree down. Montana the first two weeks of Sept from temps around 40-25'ish.

I used a Xtherm pad and a Sea To Summit liner when it got a little colder. I probably won't go back to a sleeping bag unless it gets really bad. And I'd also bought a new Western Mountaineering Alpinelite bag. But it was left in the truck and used one night at the truck.

The weight savings and comfort of that quilt is just great. I even use it at home on the couch or to take naps.

Previously I'd used an old Mountain Hardware 35 degree bag. It's a good bag but it's synthetic heavy and bulky. I was a little nervous about going to down but I had zero issues.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I have an EE Revelation that I bought recently and I have yet to take it on a trip.. I keep chickening out. I was going to take it to NZ next month but Now Im back to taking my Synthetic Big Agnes even though its heavier.. I may end up getting rid of it if I can't find a good situation to use it..

Back