Eddie Bauer primaloft next/evolve Dork Hoodie

P Carter

WKR
After wearing, and loving, a Sitka kelvin active hoodie this year (purchased at 50% off…), I took a look around for other Polartec alpha gear. Several cottage brands make dorky looking hoodies that seem popular, but they’re all sold out.

I found an Eddie Bauer dork hoodie that appears to be naked Primaloft Evolve (or Primaloft Next or whatever the current name), which is the same fabric Sitka uses in its Ambient hoodie. This is naked though—no face fabric. I’ve been looking for a better solution for my runs in 20 degrees and below. For 74 bucks, I figured what the heck, I’ll give it a shot.

Just got it tonight. It is dorky. But insanely light and quite warm. Slightly less warm than my Patagonia r1 air but half the weight. Wind cuts right through it—you can feel it just walking quickly.

I’m going to use it running and hiking over the winter with various windshells and see how it performs. Will report back. What else is the winter for, right?

sr80

WKR
yeah that definitely looks like the inner of the ambient. Too bad they didnt offer it with a outer layer, i would imagine that would be like velcro with all kinds of stuff getting stuck to it in the bush.

OP
P Carter

P Carter

WKR
yeah that definitely looks like the inner of the ambient. Too bad they didnt offer it with a outer layer, i would imagine that would be like velcro with all kinds of stuff getting stuck to it in the bush.
Yes, definitely a concern. I think they do make one with an outer, but it's super expensive and in obnoxious colors. Plus, the face fabric would make it not breathable enough for running. (I've tried w/the active hoodie and it's close but not quite.) Hopefully someone makes an ambient-type piece that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Last edited:

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, definitely a concern. I think they do make one with an outer, but it's super expensive and in obnoxious colors. Plus, the face fabric would make it not breathable enough for running. (I've tried w/the active hoodie and it's close but not quite.) Hopefully someone makes an ambient-type piece that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
OMG I would buy so much more for EB, LL Bean and Columbia if it was not for the horrible colors!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
What I want from this is a non dwr face fabric across the front and sleeves. Leave the back and under arms as it is, that should breathe well with a pack and take some of the wind out.

OP
P Carter

P Carter

WKR
What I want from this is a non dwr face fabric across the front and sleeves. Leave the back and under arms as it is, that should breathe well with a pack and take some of the wind out.
Funny you say that...I've used this with a cycling vest that has a thin, windblocking fabric on the front and mesh in the back. It's a good combination, leaves out the arms though.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Funny you say that...I've used this with a cycling vest that has a thin, windblocking fabric on the front and mesh in the back. It's a good combination, leaves out the arms though.
Ya I figured for hunting it would be nice to have some arm protection too

this looks really interesting might try it as I am whitetail hunter and would use ambient as mid layer anyway so this might be a good alternative.