Eating Wild Hog

Our's live in fields on the coast and aren't fed, they're the cleanest hogs ever never seen a single flea on them. They're not commercial pork fat but they are pretty plump for a feral hog.
This is typical for our hogs, they pretty much don't eat any human provided feed but they're not terribly lean. We just drive down the road and shoot them from the truck in the winter time when the coastal grass is low. Because of the way we hunt we almost always kill boars, think we've killed maybe 3 sows to 30ish boars.

Attachments

• hog.jpg
    hog.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Hog2.jpg
    Hog2.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Hog3.jpg
    Hog3.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 8
I make loads of Sausage and grind em up! Best meat that walking I say! Do not leave to waste if you like ribs!
Not sure where you are, but 99.9% of the hogs that I've dressed out here in Southwestern Oklahoma are very lean.
To make sausage, you have to add fat.
The hogs here are like deer. No fat. The meat cooks up very dry unless you really dress it up.
Young pigs, 20 to 30 pounds on the hoof that haven't gotten 100k miles on them and developed long, hard muscle tissue are pretty good. They dress out between 10 and 15 pounds.
I've taken a few, skinned out, fit in my smoker whole.
Those eat very well!
Those big bruisers? Let 'em rot!

Not sure where you are, but 99.9% of the hogs that I've dressed out here in Southwestern Oklahoma are very lean.
To make sausage, you have to add fat.
The hogs here are like deer. No fat. The meat cooks up very dry unless you really dress it up.
Young pigs, 20 to 30 pounds on the hoof that haven't gotten 100k miles on them and developed long, hard muscle tissue are pretty good. They dress out between 10 and 15 pounds.
I've taken a few, skinned out, fit in my smoker whole.
Those eat very well!
Those big bruisers? Let 'em rot!
Interesting, it's kind of backwards down here on the coast in Texas. We've killed some tiny ones and they're always way too lean and dry out no matter what. The bigger older hogs have some fat on them and eat a lot better. Because of the way we hunt we end up usually killing boars that are out on the run but probably not anything over 200 lbs, they don't have access to corn or feed where we're at so they just don't seem to get any larger than that, usually 150 lbs or so is about max.