Eating Wild Hog

Thanks for some of those suggestions I will have to look into some of them more closely.

I have three really close friends and we have always talked about trying to go chase hogs. I would love to find a place that didn’t cost an arm and a leg to chase them. I know we would be game for camping to chase them.
Hey bud, y'all got free time for a road trip in February? Probably could accommodate two of y'all at the cabin.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
Alright which one of you guys can help me get on some hogs? You have me convinced to try them.
You're about 15 years too late!
From about 2007 to about 2015 or so, I spent a "LOT" of time in pursuit of the lowly feral hog.
Shot, trapped and sold quite a few.
I no longer have the contacts I once had and I'm no longer physically able to go traipsing around the landscape in pursuit!
Sorry!

For you guys who have killed hundreds of hogs, do you hunt your own ground? I have really wanted to do a hog hunt with some of my buddies, but some of the costs seem outrageous.
All I killed where on hunting leases. I had leases in Florida for 30 years currently I am in one in AL. Florida where hog and turkey leases mostly but AL is deer. The hogs are gaining ground in AL.

When it comes to eating hog, the appropriately titled “Hog Book” is pretty comprehensive.

Hey bud, y'all got free time for a road trip in February? Probably could accommodate two of y'all at the cabin.
Since this thread got bumped I figured I'd give an update. I took a new buddy down and two of my son's work friends along with a good buddy of mine, they knocked down some perfect eating sized hogs. One boar about 80 lbs and two sows the same size. A good friend of mine almost got a shot at a real big boar, crossed the road in front of us right at dusk and ran through a coastal field but we could get the light settled in time and ended up just watching hog butt bounce away with no good shot angles.

Axel1939

FNG
Grew up hunting them in California, they’re a little different over there being Russian boar hybrids but generally the bigger they get the worse they are to eat.

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
To the guys who have a problem with wild pigs because they will occasionally eat dead animals. Do you have the same issue with eating bear since they do the exact same thing?
Heck we have seen squirrels that eat a carcass

If anyone wants to get on some hogs to hunt in Northern GA, let me know. I can point you towards a where a lot of hogs in the National forest live.

Since this thread got bumped I figured I'd give an update. I took a new buddy down and two of my son's work friends along with a good buddy of mine, they knocked down some perfect eating sized hogs. One boar about 80 lbs and two sows the same size. A good friend of mine almost got a shot at a real big boar, crossed the road in front of us right at dusk and ran through a coastal field but we could get the light settled in time and ended up just watching hog butt bounce away with no good shot angles.
This one turned out some insanely good Carne Guisada. I'm gonna have to go back and get another one.

Attachments

• PXL_20240304_010030293.jpg
    PXL_20240304_010030293.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20240304_023255265.jpg
    PXL_20240304_023255265.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20240304_023056610.jpg
    PXL_20240304_023056610.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20240304_023618475.jpg
    PXL_20240304_023618475.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 11

Laramie

WKR
We smoked a hind quarter this weekend for a Hawaiian themed party. Injected with applejuice and melted butter. smoked at 210° until internal was 190. after 8 hours of open smoke, I laid pineapple circles across the top, draped it in thick cut bacon, and wrapped it in foil to finish. We served it on the bone and took slices Brazilian Steak House style. Very good...

I have noticed a difference between boars and sows. Had one very rank one that ran us out of the house from the smell. All of our boars now get made into brats and our sows are left into large pieces for smoking.

Azone

WKR
I’ve ate wild hog my entire life some are just better table fare than others. Some of the absolute best meat I’ve ever had to eat has come off of dry sows that have had good feed all winter and spring on a real wet year.
I’ve also had quite a few that were freaking terrible, chuck a piece of it in front of a dog and it’s second guessing if it wants to chew on it.
Field care is and was always at the top of my list with them. Several times I have passed on them because it was too hot out and by the time I would be able to get them hanging in a walk in cooler it would be over my two hour rule from the time they had hit the ground.
I’ve butchered and made sausages for friends and family out of hogs that have been improperly cared for having had been rubbed down with what ever crud and grime was on the hide ending up all over the meat. It usually ends up tasting like crap. Gut shot and chased for several hours in hot weather always proved to provide shitty results as well.
Dry sows in the 150# range will get my rifle pointed at them a lot faster than some big old grapefruits for nuts hanging boar that probably has several abscesses from fighting with other hogs.
Linguica, Swiss sausage or breakfast sausage is what I usually make when grinding them up. Braising up cuts off of them or cooking them over a oak wood fire has yielded some great results.
Hogs are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.
Good green grass and acorns usually equals awesome.
Eating cow shit and dead ground squirrels that have been poisoned by farmers or ranchers ….. nope I’m good. That’s why spring time is about the only time I like to shoot them anymore.

Magma

Lil-Rokslider
Wild hogs are delicious, I love to roast them.
They are my favorite

slush

FNG
I shot a few free pigs in Seymore Texas. There is a lot of farmlands there. The guide told me any random cut of meat will be good. I don't have a lot of experience butchering. They quartered the pig for me. I put it in a cooler with ice. Every day I would drain the bloody water and add more ice. I did this until the water was fairly clear. I smoked the front shoulders for pulled pork. The hind quatres I cut big pieces off and called them roast, and the smaller hunks I cut up into stew pieces. Then the ribs I cut the two sides into two pieces and smoker them. My wife said everything we ate was delicious. So, she gave me the green light to go again. We think it taste just like store bought pork. No gamey flavor.