Easy, affordable lightweight barrel solution for Savage

Last year, I was looking to cut weight on my mountain rifle so I bought two barrels for my Savage short action - a 20" CF Proof in .308 ($879) and a Shaw 7mm-08 "kit" barrel from Midway ($259). I cut and crowned the Shaw barrel to 20" then shipped it to Twisted Barrel and had them cut six straight flutes in it ($110 + shipping).

Once the Shaw barrel was cut and fluted, it weighed within 1 oz. of the 20" CF Proof .308 barrel. I figured if it shot well enough, I'd keep it and send back the CF barrel for a refund. The Shaw barrel shot very well and I saw no reason to keep the CF barrel, so back it went for a refund, no questions asked. I never shot it.

I wouldn't have thought it was possible to get a great shooting barrel for my Savage that weighs under 2 lbs., for less than $400, but if you go this route, it certainly is. For a bit more, you could have that 7mm-08 chamber reamed to a .284 Win, which will probably be my next build.

Anyway, I just wanted to offer this up as an option to some of you looking for a lightweight barrel. I've owned three Shaws now (two were custom ordered, plus this "kit" barrel) and they have all shot extremely well for me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

I've ordered two McGowans and one X-Caliber barrel now, and preferred the X-Caliber. But the Shaw "kit" option is in stock now and the turnaround on the fluting was a matter of 10 days wait. Both McGowan and X-Caliber had me waiting 4+ months.

Good luck whatever route you go!

Attachments

• IMG_3895.JPG
    IMG_3895.JPG
    380.1 KB · Views: 106
  • Banned
OP
Newtosavage
What diameter did it finish at after you cut to 20"?
Good question. These Shaw barrels say they are factory contour, but they are actually a little bit heavier than factory contour. This one started at 24" and at 20" it finished at 0.630"

I was amazed at how deep the flutes are that twisted barrel cut. I had no idea they could remove so much material from a heavy sporter barrel. When I got the barrel back, I was concerned it would still shoot well, but it shoots just the same as before I sent it. Always under an inch.

Unckebob

WKR
Good question. These Shaw barrels say they are factory contour, but they are actually a little bit heavier than factory contour. This one started at 24" and at 20" it finished at 0.630"

I was amazed at how deep the flutes are that twisted barrel cut. I had no idea they could remove so much material from a heavy sporter barrel. When I got the barrel back, I was concerned it would still shoot well, but it shoots just the same as before I sent it. Always under an inch.

I wish I had thought of that, How much did it cost to get it fluted?

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
I wish I had thought of that, How much did it cost to get it fluted?
Their cheapest option (what I got) is six straight flutes. Cost is just $110 plus return shipping. They turned mine around in less than 2 weeks.

aschuler

FNG
Any idea what the before and after weight is on the barrel? (including cutting off a couple inches)
I just got one of these and thinking about doing this as well.

Tod osier

WKR
Last year, I was looking to cut weight on my mountain rifle so I bought two barrels for my Savage short action - a 20" CF Proof in .308 ($879) and a Shaw 7mm-08 "kit" barrel from Midway ($259). I cut and crowned the Shaw barrel to 20" then shipped it to Twisted Barrel and had them cut six straight flutes in it ($110 + shipping).

Once the Shaw barrel was cut and fluted, it weighed within 1 oz. of the 20" CF Proof .308 barrel. I figured if it shot well enough, I'd keep it and send back the CF barrel for a refund. The Shaw barrel shot very well and I saw no reason to keep the CF barrel, so back it went for a refund, no questions asked. I never shot it.

I wouldn't have thought it was possible to get a great shooting barrel for my Savage that weighs under 2 lbs., for less than $400, but if you go this route, it certainly is. For a bit more, you could have that 7mm-08 chamber reamed to a .284 Win, which will probably be my next build.

Anyway, I just wanted to offer this up as an option to some of you looking for a lightweight barrel. I've owned three Shaws now (two were custom ordered, plus this "kit" barrel) and they have all shot extremely well for me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

I've ordered two McGowans and one X-Caliber barrel now, and preferred the X-Caliber. But the Shaw "kit" option is in stock now and the turnaround on the fluting was a matter of 10 days wait. Both McGowan and X-Caliber had me waiting 4+ months.

Good luck whatever route you go!

Just wanted to say thanks for the info. Pretty sweet option.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Any idea what the before and after weight is on the barrel? (including cutting off a couple inches)
I just got one of these and thinking about doing this as well.
If I remember right, I dropped 10 oz. off that barrel. It was a bit shocking really. Went from like 2 lbs. 9 oz. to 1 lb. 15 oz. or something like that.

OP
Newtosavage
Following my 3rd season hunt, in which I took a nice mule deer buck with this rifle, this barrel is now for sale! :D

I'm going to order a CF .284 Win barrel to replace it.

Sure has been a fun project and this is a FAST barrel for a 7mm-08. I have always gotten book velocities even at just 20"