Eastern Whitetail, Occasional Elk, and All Around Pack

Hey all,

I am trying to decide what pack I want to invest my money in. This topic gets frequently discussed here, but I wanted to put my own twist on it. I bought an Eberlestock J34 - Just One Pack and the quality/build was fantastic. The only thing I did not like was how I had to attach my climbing sticks and novix helo to the pack, so I sold it.

Background on me: I am 6'5 250lbs, primarily an eastern whitetail mobile bowhunter. When it comes to my hunting gear, I am a big fan of my stuff being Made in the USA. My goal with the pack is to be able to comfortably be able to attach my climbing sticks and stand to the pack with ease along with my other gear (sometimes camera gear). The plan in the near future is for me to head out west and do some elk hunting so it would be nice if the pack could work for that as well. I am for sure a buy once cry once kind of person. The modular systems really catch my interest because they are not limited on customization. The only thing that I am concerned about size-wise is whether will I be able to have it in the stand with me comfortably.

All of the above has led to this question. Here are the packs that I, with an educated process of elimination, have narrowed my thoughts down to. Please let me know your thoughts and if you have any better ideas that I have not considered yet. I would also love to know your experiences with these packs.

In Order of Consideration:
- Kifaru Duplex Lite w/Stryker XL or Original Stryker (Seems like it would work great, but due to the price I want to make sure it is perfect)
- Kifaru Duplex Lite w/ 22Mag (Seems Large)
- Eberlestock F1 Mainframe w/Batwings (Worried about the meat shelf on the bottom)
- Mystery Ranch Pop Up (Not USA Made (n))

Thank you so much for your help!

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
Not on your list, but just using as an sizing example. I bought a SG 5900, which is way bigger than I need for 90% of my hunting. It compresses down to small enough that I used it for all my day pack needs so far. I bring it up my tree and hang it next to me without issue.

I have the Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28, and I would say steer clear if you aren't a minimalist. So far I like it for day hunts in fall weather when I can get away with less layers but (for me) it only has room for what I consider the essentials. And yes, made elsewhere, Vietnam I think. If you do get one, consider the larger pop up 38.

Pop Up 28 is a great little work horse of a daypack. I'm very pleased with mine. Its easily capable of 80 lb pack outs, though I try to stay around 60 lbs as I've gotten older.

When colder temps hit in the Northeast and I'm switching layers in and out, or I'm out west and more capacity is required, I upsize to a Sawtooth 45. The Guide Light MT frame is a tank, and as comfortable (relative term) under a heavy load as any pack I've owned.

Of course, any pack decision will depend on how a particular frame fits your particular body.

Last edited:

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
EXO Mountain Gear K3. Pick your bag size. If you choose to go to a larger back it compresses nicely for use as a day pack even with a larger bag. I am also an Eastern mobile bowhunter. The EXO has been a great pack for me and allows me to use it as a day pack or when going on a backpack hunt with ease.

OP
whitedoutdoors
Ill have to check out EXO as well! How big is too big to compress down? Like is a 5000 to much to compress down or should I be looking more in the 2500 range?

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
Ill have to check out EXO as well! How big is too big to compress down? Like is a 5000 to much to compress down or should I be looking more in the 2500 range?
I have the 4800 and compress it down to whatever size I need for the hunt I'm doing and material I'm carrying. The bag is capable of compressing down to the frame dimensions width and height while only be 2" deep if that makes any sense. I really enjoy the horseshoe pocket on the front as I can use it for access while in the tree vs having to go through the roll top.

Don’t get stuck on a brand, try a few and see what fits best. I tried a few before I settled on stone glacier as that was most comfortable for me. Started with a 3300 pack and when I was going to do my first multi night hunt I got a 5900 bag. After seeing how small it is when compressed, I never switch back to the 3300 even for day hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
I had a stone glacier x curve and a 5900. Also with the lid access bag and 3300 bag. It does all you described but it is horribly way to much pack to have in the tree. Just way to much bag for in a tree. Now. I went with a badlands superday. Not sure if country but I also looked at the badlands MRK 2. That was my next choice but I decided to stash a cart rather than pack them out so went with the superday.

Northpark

WKR
I have a kuiu pack. While they aren’t the most popular pack around here I enjoy mine. I like modularity of being able to switch between the 2200 cubic inch bag to the 5600 cubic inch bag on the same frame with ease. Takes about 2 minutes to switch between bags. I also like the way I can sling load meat right against my back between the bag and frame. It’s does not handle loads over 100lbs super well because the frame flexes. This is a deal breaker for some. I’m ok with that.

My point though is that it sounds like having a pack that is a bit more Modular would be right for you.

ncavi8tor

WKR
Eastern Whitetail hunter here. I LOVE the Stryker XL and Duplex Lite frame!! It will handle anything you throw at it plus is a great elk pack for up to 5 days in the backcountry with a camp bag on the load shelf. I'm all in with the Kifaru gear and the only negative is it's a little on the heavy side compared to others. That has NEVER been an issue for me because it fits me and carrys extremely well on my body. I would suggest you try on as many as you can. Good luck!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
Duplex frame and Hellbender

However, don’t let a high cubic inch bag scare you. I have an AMR bag(7800) and it compresses down very nicely.

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 6’5” , 235lb. I have the Kifaru duplex lite frame with Stryker XL and Sherman pocket for my whitetail setup. Absolutely love it. Can pack stand, sticks, gear. Then pack out meat with meat shelf. I also have the 44mag that I run with the Sherman pocket for elk hunting.

I feel that the Stryker XL/ Sherman pocket combo is money. Works great and I particularly like the Sherman pocket because not only can I store gear in it, but I use the pocket to help compress other gear. Just my $0.02

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I bought an EXO K3 4800 to be my everything pack: elk eventually, mobile whitetail, and other backpacking.

I bought the 1800 size to go for day hunts even though the 4800 compresses way down.

I put mine to work this past weekend in the SC mountains. It did everything I could have wanted.

Attachments

• 9D53F45B-1D6C-4484-8A1B-913D9B5E1347.jpeg
    9D53F45B-1D6C-4484-8A1B-913D9B5E1347.jpeg
    737.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 1FFD10F7-36BC-4B86-BB6B-2348990F8901.jpeg
    1FFD10F7-36BC-4B86-BB6B-2348990F8901.jpeg
    751.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 7DC981CB-DA83-492F-B007-597D3CEFAF17.jpeg
    7DC981CB-DA83-492F-B007-597D3CEFAF17.jpeg
    754.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 88D67B3A-4D67-431A-A3D2-15D6ACDE181C.jpeg
    88D67B3A-4D67-431A-A3D2-15D6ACDE181C.jpeg
    646.7 KB · Views: 63

RS3579

WKR
I’m 6’5” , 235lb. I have the Kifaru duplex lite frame with Stryker XL and Sherman pocket for my whitetail setup. Absolutely love it. Can pack stand, sticks, gear. Then pack out meat with meat shelf. I also have the 44mag that I run with the Sherman pocket for elk hunting.

I feel that the Stryker XL/ Sherman pocket combo is money. Works great and I particularly like the Sherman pocket because not only can I store gear in it, but I use the pocket to help compress other gear. Just my $0.02

I use this exact same setup Like yoop said. Very versatile.

tony

WKR
Eberlestock is not made in the U.S and is generally heavy in weight.

I am 6’3” 250#.

i tried kifaru and it just didn’t fit me well, but your results may vary. USA made. Modular and super high quality stuff.

I like mystery ranch. I use a pop up as my primary whitetail pack for stands and layers and the occasional pack out. The 28 filled up too fast with late season layers. I run a 38 now. It shines in daypack mode and can handle a 60# load but wouldn’t be my first choice for a western, multi day hunt. It just doesn’t carry as well as a full size pack and TBH it ain’t cheap.

within the MR line up, I would look at a 40-50 liter pack - sawtooth, terra frame 50 or pintler. I have the pintler. It is a hell of a frame and a good day pack that can flex up for a night or two. You can use the meat shelf for more gear or get a bigger bag like the metcalf or beartooth for longer hunts.

Tradchef

WKR

Here’s a cool idea if you are thinking kifaru. If you are needing it for elk too I’d go with a taller frame but this is a nice idea having that E&E to bring up the tree and leaving the big pack below