Eastern MT??? Thoughts?

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
j_volt said:
It really is wild that one tag lets you hunt ALL of this land with a rifle for 6 weeks. I am sure that made sense at one point, but it is a head scratcher nowadays.

I'm of the opposite opinion.

Wouldn't it be reasonable to think that with all the millions of $$ and tens if not hundreds of thousands of man hours we've spent on studies, science, biology, habitat enhancement, radio collaring, etc and all the knowledge we've gained in these areas that we'd actually have more and better quality herds ?

My opinion is that it's bordering on criminal that we don't.

No accountability. None.

Legitimate question but I think not.

If I recall correctly, one year MT shut down the sheep hunt ( or was it general rifle season? Maybe someone here will clarify) in the Gallatin the day before the season opened. 24 hours or less notice.

From what I've heard from people "inside", biologists are a big part of the problem.

Would help a lot if the governor appointed leadership actually wanted to make biology and data based management decisions rather than politics based ones.

Spend all the $ you want. If hunters are too selfish to sacrifice their own opportunity and agency directors and commissioners are political appointees, they aren't going to use any of the data if it conflicts with their desires.

A year or two ago it was wildly evident, appointed commissioners (who set the actual hunting seasons) didn't want to hear from biologists if what they had to say conflicted with their desires.

Edit to add: Commissioners who didn't tow the line and involved the biologists/hunters more got replaced. https://billingsgazette.com/outdoor...cle_d56f1aa8-a95f-11ed-a177-bb160225b52b.html

Last edited:

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
That's true WG.

However our Governor is also part of the problem.
And "public comment periods and meetings" are merely a matter of formality.

And you're also correct about many hunters.
I grew up with some who'd brag "I killed a buck every year......I won't shoot does" and had a garage full of his little runty 2 points.

bigsky2

Lil-Rokslider
You all can say it's terrible, not like it used to be etc. But it is still by far the best place to hunt mule deer that I have been to. Obviously not trophy bucks behing every bush but plenty of deer. Been going most years since 2017, our group tagged 12 bucks this year. Everyone of the kids and first time hunters in our group were tickled to death with thier smaller than instagram trophy bucks and can't wait to go back. Those in the group who put in the effort shot mature bucks. Flame away
This is the sad thing. As bad as it is, it's still better than where some people live, and there will always be people willing to come to MT and shoot the last of our deer.

bigsky2

Lil-Rokslider
There's a State specific issues forum on hunttalk where there is frequent info on season setting and associated issues. My understanding is there is not much for meaningful proposed changes in region 7.
A new amendment came out yesterday that would limit doe harvest to private land in Region 7.

You have until December 7th to email the commission and comment. [email protected]

This is the sad thing. As bad as it is, it's still better than where some people live, and there will always be people willing to come to MT and shoot the last of our deer.
I understand where you are coming from. I live right next to 2 world class walleye fisheries. We get people from all over the country enjoying these resources on a regular basis. Many come here on vacation and fully expect to keep their limit everyday. And if they get on a school of 28-30"+, then many of those fish get knifed too.

Most who I've talked to are really good folks who are just happy to be catching a pile of fish that they can actually keep. I don't blame them for wanting in on some of the sweet action; instead, when the fish populations taper off and even the locals strugle, I blame the regulatory agencies for not tightening the screws down on over harvest. Plenty of waters regularly have different harvest limits to account for changes in spawning, weather, harvest, water levels, etc, etc.

Ultimately, you can't blame a fellow sportsman for wanting in on some good hunting and fishing. At one time or another most of us are guests on some other locals' ground or water.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
A new amendment came out yesterday that would limit doe harvest to private land in Region 7.

You have until December 7th to email the commission and comment. [email protected]

That's definitely a step in the right direction, have to start somewhere.

Would behoove everyone, resident or nonresident and take 2-3 minutes and comment on the above.

FYG

FNG
Would help a lot if the governor appointed leadership actually wanted to make biology and data based management decisions rather than politics based ones.

Spend all the $ you want. If hunters are too selfish to sacrifice their own opportunity and agency directors and commissioners are political appointees, they aren't going to use any of the data if it conflicts with their desires.

A year or two ago it was wildly evident, appointed commissioners (who set the actual hunting seasons) didn't want to hear from biologists if what they had to say conflicted with their desires.

Edit to add: Commissioners who didn't tow the line and involved the biologists/hunters more got replaced. https://billingsgazette.com/outdoor...cle_d56f1aa8-a95f-11ed-a177-bb160225b52b.html
Can't emphasize this enough. The biologists I talk to are 100% hamstrung by the politics involved in FWP, and the lobbying that it is done by UPOM and MOGA at the expense of the majority of hunters and most importantly, our ungulates.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's definitely a step in the right direction, have to start somewhere.

Would behoove everyone, resident or nonresident and take 2-3 minutes and comment on the above.

Gents- time is ticking, you have until December 7 to make comments on the above proposal.

If you are commenting on amendments proposed by Vice Chair Tabor, Commissioner Burrows, and Commissioner Cebull, comments will be accepted through Dec. 7th.

bigsky2

Lil-Rokslider
It's nice to read in this thread that some of you NR were actually willing to go home with an unpunched tag. I wasn't sure if that was even something that happens. Kudos to you guys.

GoBig

FNG
Its not about meat for me, its about the experience. I don't need to bag a 20" 4 point to have a successful trip. The deer are hurting everywhere, if you wan't to talk about how bad it is, just go to Idaho. I didn't fill a tag there either. Deer are in poor shape and now everyone is sitting in the OTC Q and I am seeing peoples numbers waiting in line up to 40K for 17,500 non resident deer and elk tags.

That's a low bar.

We should expect and demand better. Much better.

Yeah it's like a Guatemalan saying "post George Floyd minneapolis may seem bad to you but there's way less crime than everywhere I've lived in central America". It doesn't make minneapolis not suck more than it used to.

Good analo
Yeah it's like a Guatemalan saying "post George Floyd minneapolis may seem bad to you but there's way less crime than everywhere I've lived in central America". It doesn't make minneapolis not suck more than it used to.
Good analogy.

I think this thread really speaks to how difficult it is to find a decent place to hunt public ground these days. I run into the same story over and over: so many hunters are just looking for a place to go.

S.Clancy

WKR
Good analo

Good analogy.

I think this thread really speaks to how difficult it is to find a decent place to hunt public ground these days. I run into the same story over and over: so many hunters are just looking for a place to go.
I don't understand this. I have had great hunts in other states on public ground. Tons of animals, some big bucks. Tho, I work. I wouldn't expect much if you are not getting far from a truck.

Deano0686

Lil-Rokslider
It's nice to read in this thread that some of you NR were actually willing to go home with an unpunched tag. I wasn't sure if that was even something that happens. Kudos to you guys.
I know multiple nonresidents that have ate a tag there, including myself. We don’t all shoot your forkys and 2 points

Put me and my buddies in this category also . We've been back to Montana 6 times , i only filled my tag 4 times . Another buddy 3 times and a 3rd once in 6 trips . From a non resident that's a huge chunk of change to drop and not fill a tag . But we go back to have a good time, and look at way more deer in 10 days then we would see in an entire season here . Makes all of us kinda sick to see what other hunters will put a tag on sometimes . Also kinda pisses us off when the " residents " bash us out of staters at the hotel at night . Evidently we come shoot all the deer . While they have a truck load of does .