Early season strategies and rain

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
Leave for a 4 day hunt tonight. The forecast changed a bit and now is calling for one day of 10mm of rain. it will be very hot (80-85 degrees as highs and 50 degrees as lows) for the first two days then its calling for 10mm of rain. The temp drops to 50-60 degrees as highs and 35-45 degrees as lows for the last two days.

Hoping you lads might have some insight to hunting elk in the rain. We were attending to be hunting thick dark bush, specially when its hot. not sure if the cooler temps and rain will bring them out of the bush more.

thanks for the help lads

dacd4134

Lil-Rokslider
"mm of rain"
"bush"
"lads"

tenor.gif

;) :D

StillBald

FNG
Alright, if we're using metric (mm), then I have to assume the degrees are in Celsius. Where the heck are you hunting that is 85C/185F?? I guess you don't have to worry about meat spoiling, it'll be dried jerky before it hits the ground.

LostArra

WKR
In the great flood year of 2013 the elk seemed to take it in stride with the only change being the water holes were no longer such prime spots and some were bedded in more open country. I wouldn't change your hunt plans.

Pwells10

WKR
My dad and his brothers love hunting the rain. They pick a game trail and just go. Run into elk almost everytime bedded just off of it.

Sled

WKR
over 1/3" and under a half inch of rain, huh? it wouldn't mean that much if you were hunting in the PNW but in the desert might be a real safety hazard. so, where are you hunting?

edit: i just read your post again. looks like you already found out what the rain did.

OP
R

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from our hunt. Yeah I converted C to F but not mm. Haha. I am in Alberta.
We got hotter then expected on the first two days and more rain and colder then expected the last two, ended up getting snow on Monday. Didn’t get into the elk during the rain despite putting on the miles. In the heat we just hit dark north facing bedding area and got into the elk fairly regularly.