Early season pants knee pad compatible?

OP
68Plexi

68Plexi

WKR
I don't know how tiburons would do at the low end of the temp range you are looking for, but with ling johns it might work, but at the high end 70-80plus they are hard to beat. What about carrying a pair of lightweight gardener knee pads to strap on for a stalk? I did that for a while. I didn't think the ascents breathed very well in high temps and sold mine. They really should add hipzips. I think that's the only major brand with kneepad compartments. Your kinda handcuffing yourself of options if your hung up on that which is why I suggested the gardener kneepads

Yea, I didn’t realize I’d be looking for a unicorn pant since there are so many great companies making great pants. Gardener knee pads are an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisAU

WKR
Well I couldn’t resist, ordered the DecHavilland Lite to try. The Kuiu Kutana is by far my favorite pant, but I wanted knee pads for shooting comps and the ability to take them in and out through the huge side zips sold me. I also have Corrugate Foundry’s but they are a bit heavy for hot weather IMO and the knee pad change put requires taking em off.

OP
68Plexi

68Plexi

WKR
Well I couldn’t resist, ordered the DecHavilland Lite to try. The Kuiu Kutana is by far my favorite pant, but I wanted knee pads for shooting comps and the ability to take them in and out through the huge side zips sold me. I also have Corrugate Foundry’s but they are a bit heavy for hot weather IMO and the knee pad change put requires taking em off.

Probably a good choice. Love to hear what you think after you try them out.

ChrisAU

WKR
Got the SG pants today, I’m gonna keep ‘em. Hesitant to say they’ll unseat the Kutanas as my favorites for hunting, but the knee pad pockets combined with the huge side vents will make them awesome for my intended purpose of shooting comps. But, I think they could wiggle into my hunting lineup too with the weird zipper/built on sort-of-belt contraption…you absolutely dont have to wear a belt with these because you can cinch them down with the closure, and also adjust tightness with the zipper. So, if you struggle with a belt being uncomfortable under a pack belt, these could be your ticket. They are a bit loud, but I’m hoping with wear and some washing they’ll quiet down. I also hope they don’t shrink any when washed lol, the large just is barely enough for my fat butt but I need to lose a few pounds anyway ha

OP
68Plexi

68Plexi

WKR
Appreciate the feedback @ChrisAU. I really liked the original DeHavillands, but I was just in between sizes. Keeping my Kutanas for now too.

Sitka ascent. They dont have hip vents but they are light enough that they would be completely unnecessary IMO.

Looks like the Ascent runs small. I’m a 36 in almost everything. You guys suggest a 37 or 38?

I wear a 34 in everything, including all sitka pants that I own (4 pairs) and the 34 in the ascent was slightly too small. I would size up

Also, OR Ferrosi is very lightweight. No kneepads though. They do have a drawstring in waist which is nice when wearing a pack instead of a belt

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
Got the SG pants today, I’m gonna keep ‘em. Hesitant to say they’ll unseat the Kutanas as my favorites for hunting, but the knee pad pockets combined with the huge side vents will make them awesome for my intended purpose of shooting comps. But, I think they could wiggle into my hunting lineup too with the weird zipper/built on sort-of-belt contraption…you absolutely dont have to wear a belt with these because you can cinch them down with the closure, and also adjust tightness with the zipper. So, if you struggle with a belt being uncomfortable under a pack belt, these could be your ticket. They are a bit loud, but I’m hoping with wear and some washing they’ll quiet down. I also hope they don’t shrink any when washed lol, the large just is barely enough for my fat butt but I need to lose a few pounds anyway ha
How are these holding up? How is the knee pad during competitions? I will prob order these or a pair of the crye hot weather pants.

ChrisAU

WKR
How are these holding up? How is the knee pad during competitions? I will prob order these or a pair of the crye hot weather pants.

I wound up moving on from them and going back to Kutana camp firmly. I just can't find a better overall pant.

Appreciate the feedback @ChrisAU. I really liked the original DeHavillands, but I was just in between sizes. Keeping my Kutanas for now too.

I k ow this is on old thread/post but the DeHaviland pants have 3” of waist adjustment. What part did not fit well?

I wonder if SG would see some kind of mesh on the inside of the hip vents to keep stuff out but still vent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
68Plexi

68Plexi

WKR
I k ow this is on old thread/post but the DeHaviland pants have 3” of waist adjustment. What part did not fit well?

I wonder if SG would see some kind of mesh on the inside of the hip vents to keep stuff out but still vent?

I am a 36 waist in most pants, sometimes 34. With the DeHaviland size Large the 3" waist adjustment was all the way out, which honestly doesn't line up the velcro adjustment super clean. The waistline felt crooked, and not secure since I was all the way out on the velcro. Legs fit fine, although a little long at 34". I sent them back for an XL, and I was absolutely swimming in them both in the waist and the legs.

From what I recall, SG doesn't want mesh on their hip vents because it fits with their layering system. They want you to be able to open the pant vent so you can reach your base layer zipper to vent those as well. I am a mosquito magnet, so mesh vents are a must for me.

I have found most of the gear I have tried from SG just doesn't fit me well. YMMV. Even the large size gloves, the size I wear in every other glove I've ever purchased, the fingers are about half an inch too long. Sitka large, Kuiu large, Mechanix large, Gordini ski glove large all fit me better.

I am a 36 waist in most pants, sometimes 34. With the DeHaviland size Large the 3" waist adjustment was all the way out, which honestly doesn't line up the velcro adjustment super clean. The waistline felt crooked, and not secure since I was all the way out on the velcro. Legs fit fine, although a little long at 34". I sent them back for an XL, and I was absolutely swimming in them both in the waist and the legs.

From what I recall, SG doesn't want mesh on their hip vents because it fits with their layering system. They want you to be able to open the pant vent so you can reach your base layer zipper to vent those as well. I am a mosquito magnet, so mesh vents are a must for me.

I have found most of the gear I have tried from SG just doesn't fit me well. YMMV. Even the large size gloves, the size I wear in every other glove I've ever purchased, the fingers are about half an inch too long. Sitka large, Kuiu large, Mechanix large, Gordini ski glove large all fit me better.

Thanks for the feedback.

WA209

FNG
Have the wife sew in a pocket sized to hour knee pads…. Easy peasy. I Did a u shaped pocket and I cut a thin yoga mat to fit.