Early season elk hunt dates vs full moon

BRDNG154

FNG
What are your thoughts on Elk hunting Sept 2-12 this year in relation to full moon on 9/18?

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't found full moons to be very helpful during the elk rut personally. As stated already the weather will be the biggest factor. Also remember that a lot of people plan their trips around the full moons, so if you want even more competition go during a full moon.

This. Weather/daytime temps will dictate the amount of daytime rut activity much more than the moon will.

This makes sense, but I have witnessed full on meatballs first few days of September with temps into the 80's. I think the random variation is too wide to really try to use the trends predictively. I also agree the moon doesn't matter.

This makes sense, but I have witnessed full on meatballs first few days of September with temps into the 80's. I think the random variation is too wide to really try to use the trends predictively. I also agree the moon doesn't matter.
Agreed on all of it. I’ve found your window of rut activity tends to be narrower in the morning and evening when it’s persistently hot and dry.

I don't put much credence on moon phases affecting elk activity. I've seen elk rutting from first week to end of Sept.. Warm weather seems to affect elk activity more than anything else. It's in their DNA.

wweaver

FNG
The archery bull hunt drew in Nevada this year starts on Sept 17th. Almost a full moon, but who cares get out there when you can as long as you can. As others have said a light rain shower I have found gets them going more than anything if it has been dry for a few days.

flatelk

FNG
I love hunting in the full moon . I can find elk early and move in on them. And be on top of them at leagle shooting hours. Elk rut the same time every year. A full moon means nothing.

jonlarkin

FNG
I have had bad luck with full moons when we miss the ruff, last year they rutted 2 weeks before we were there and then had a few full moons and it was dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk