Early M77 mkii push feed to crf conversion?

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all I just recently picked up a clean m77 mkii boat paddle in 243. I guess I assumed all the mkii rifles were crf but this one has a lip at the bottom of the bolt and is push feed. It has a blade style ejector. From what I understand only the very early mkii were push feed? Is that lower lip something a machinist could mill off or is it something I should leave as is for reliability/ safety reasons or collectibility?

Attachments

• F9EF4F26-60D7-4EE4-8A6F-25D7D830F015.jpeg
    F9EF4F26-60D7-4EE4-8A6F-25D7D830F015.jpeg
    375.2 KB · Views: 19

ldmay375

FNG
The early Mark II's were push feed. Many people had their gunsmith machine the lower lip off. Ruger listened to the masses and made them CRF. I have an early Ruger Express Rifle that is a Mark II push feed. And had at least one other Mark II that was push feed. No issues with their feeding. Nor with older 77's.
As suggested prior, check with Ruger or your gunsmith. My cousin had an early Mark II push feed that his gunsmith converted.

I prefer the CFR. But, unless the rifle was going to be in use for, or around something that was going to stomp, claw, or chew on me; I doubt that I would bother converting it.

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
The early Mark II's were push feed. Many people had their gunsmith machine the lower lip off. Ruger listened to the masses and made them CRF. I have an early Ruger Express Rifle that is a Mark II push feed. And had at least one other Mark II that was push feed. No issues with their feeding. Nor with older 77's.
As suggested prior, check with Ruger or your gunsmith. My cousin had an early Mark II push feed that his gunsmith converted.

I prefer the CFR. But, unless the rifle was going to be in use for, or around something that was going to stomp, claw, or chew on me; I doubt that I would bother converting it.
Well I shot Ruger a message and they were quick to reply that the do not offer that service anymore. I suppose you're right since its a 243 its not exactly a dangerous game rifle. I was shocked and assumed all the mkii were crf and didn't even look at the bolt that close when I bought it. Excited to get this rifle out either way and see how it shoots.

Fatcamp

WKR
Should post a picture of the rifle.

Here's the one I bought for my wife. Not sure if it's crf or not. I got to look at it but it's in jail. 😕

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Should post a picture of the rifle.

Here's the one I bought for my wife. Not sure if it's crf or not. I got to look at it but it's in jail. 😕
Sharp looking rig! I’ll try to grab some pictures at lunch. I bought this one partially cause I’ve always wanted a boat paddle and like 243 and partially cause I wanted something a little fancier for my little lady to use deer hunting besides my beat to hell savage axis 243. I need to go shoot it and see if it needs a Limbsaver added. She’s not the most fond of recoil.