E3 Reticle: Subtensions, Turret Rings and Dialing for distance

Boon321

FNG
My setup is a 300 win mag with a Steiner Predator 8 x2-16. Ammo is 200gr Terminal Ascent. The scope has the same E3 reticle that Burris offers with customizable turret rings. This setup is for a central Oregon elk hunt.

I am trying to figure the best strategy for setting up the subtensions and turret rings.

Playing with the reticle ballistic calculator on Burris's site, to make the subtensions work, I would zero at 240 yards. This makes it 2.8" high at most and lines up the subtensions for 300, 400 and 500 yards.

E3 300wM.png

What would make the most sense for the turret rings? 350, 450 and 550 yards? Or zero around 100, have the subtensions around 2,3,and 4 with the the turrets for farther out?

Of course, I have many boxes of ammo in my future to practice and confirming what distances I am comfortable at (the hunt is in 2026) but knowing the strategy for the scope would be great before I send a car payment downrange.

Kyguy

FNG
I'd probably set up with what you're showing, it's almost combining MPBR with the subtensions for longer range. You can use their calculator to figure out how many MOA to dial up from the 240 yd if you're shooting longer than 500 yds. Unless you're specifically setting yourself up to shoot past 500 yds, you're probably never going to shoot past it in a hunting scenario.

OP
B

Boon321

FNG
I'd probably set up with what you're showing, it's almost combining MPBR with the subtensions for longer range. You can use their calculator to figure out how many MOA to dial up from the 240 yd if you're shooting longer than 500 yds. Unless you're specifically setting yourself up to shoot past 500 yds, you're probably never going to shoot past it in a hunting scenario.
Thanks for helping me out. I think this would work for everything I would be encountering.