E-Scouting Tips

roymunson

WKR
Got my spot earmarked for this fall in CO.
I've hunted elk once, and some of my learning curve led me to having a lot of nature hikes, and probably wasn't tied up in looking for elk where I should have.

If I'm scrolling thru ON-X, what are some tips to look for e-scouting (I'm 1600 miles away) on where to look for them. What terrain features? I'm assuming I'll want to get thermals right and be on ridges where I can see down in, but I'm curious as to what I should be looking for. No guide, and Im the only guy in camp lucky enough to get hands on a first rifle tag. Just want to give it my best shot and learn something.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Roy have you looked into this course?

I bought it to learn how to use new technologies more efficiently. I just started to dig into the course but it is an extensive complication of elk knowledge that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

Fullfan

WKR
One thing E scouting will not show you, is all the other guys that will be there when you show up. Especially in Colorado, good luck.

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
One thing E scouting will not show you, is all the other guys that will be there when you show up. Especially in Colorado, good luck.
I've got a buddy who's hunted this spot. Without giving away any inside knowledge, people most likely won't be the problem. It's public but we have an inside track to get in on the backside by crossing private that isn't open to the public. They've seen 1 other hunter there in the 1/2 dozen or so times they were in there.

I understand it could get messed with by humans, but I'd like to figure out how to properly read the sign and terrain to put myself in better situations.

Unlucky, I'll check into that course.

Jaquomo

WKR
First rifle. Figure out where the other people will be hunting, and from what direction, and look for places the elk will either travel through or move into. If there are resident elk when you get there, look for patches of heavy cover where they'll hole up to bed and feed.

You didn't mention elevation or terrain. I hunt a lot differently at 6K and pinion juniper than I do at just below timberline. But anywhere, country with big terrain breaks usually holds elk.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just did a podcast on E-Scouting where you might learn a few tips and tricks-https://www.rokslide.com/tt35-e-scouting-with-mark-livasay-digiscoping-game-cameras-and-more/