e-bike trailer attached to frame backpack

Jn78

WKR
Has anyone attached an e-bike trailer to a backpack? I hunt in an area that is closed to motorized traffic during hunting season, but it is not a wilderness area, so i can take wheels in as long as I pull the trailer. I recently bought a Quietkat two-wheel trailer and I am curious if anyone has attached one of these to a backpack. I plan on attaching the trailer to a frame backpack. The attachment can be permanent - I will use a different backpack for hunting once I am in camp. I haul camp about six miles from the truck and get into elk 8 or 9 miles from the truck - 3rd or 4th season Colorado. Camp for up to a week. Snow is hit or miss in this area, so I take a sled in some years, but there are sections that are very open and snow melts fast. I will be able to use the trailer all the way to camp and possibly beyond, depending on where I shoot an elk. If anyone else has done this, any advice on attaching the trailer to the my backpack? Any other advice on the build/use of a trailer in this manner? Thanks

mrolen

Lil-Rokslider
I’m sure you could do it but your safer pushing a cart. Imagine that thing behind you going down hill with weight in it good way to get ran over or pulled back down a hill.

Wrench

WKR
9 miles. Assuming you can bring an elk and your camp out in 3 trips you're looking at 54 miles of hauling.

Are you at Cameron Hanes/David Goggins level fitness?

The good idea fairy is whispering in your ear.
BUT if you do go this route I would recommend some time of brakes setup. I walked my e-bike out downhill for 3.5 miles. Full camp and bear loaded on the bike and I was on the brakes most of the way down.

dtrkyman

WKR
Set it up like a pulk sled, you can diy the poles with pvc. I have never done this bit don't see why it wouldn't work?

OP
J

Jn78

WKR
Wait a second, you’re wanting to attach it to your backpack and pull it like you are the mule? Am I reading this right?
Yeah. We basically turn ourselves into pack animals after we kill animals, so why not use wheels? I can pull more with my truck than I put in the bed of my truck. I can move more weight in a wheel barrow than I can carry. The physics is the same.
I’m sure you could do it but your safer pushing a cart. Imagine that thing behind you going down hill with weight in it good way to get ran over or pulled back down a hill.

There is a flat two track that follows a creek almost all the way to camp. From camp, you hike up a mountain, but the first six miles are quite flat.
Can you just loop some webbing around the waist belt of your backpack and attach to a caribiner?

I think I want a solid anchor point.

OP
J

Jn78

WKR
9 miles. Assuming you can bring an elk and your camp out in 3 trips you're looking at 54 miles of hauling.

Are you at Cameron Hanes/David Goggins level fitness?
Definitely not - those dudes wouldn't try to make it easier. My hunting partner and I put in some big days though and we are not getting any younger. If we were better hunters, we probably wouldn't have to hike so far. . . Also, this is about the only way to get away from so many people.
The good idea fairy is whispering in your ear.
BUT if you do go this route I would recommend some time of brakes setup. I walked my e-bike out downhill for 3.5 miles. Full camp and bear loaded on the bike and I was on the brakes most of the way down.
Yeah, I have been thinking about adding a brake. I think I will have to load it down and see how much gravity will push me down a slight gradient.
Why not just a game cart?

I used one, it didn't end well. I'd not recommend it being attached to you.
I definitely want to be able to use hiking poles.

OP
J

Jn78

WKR
Set it up like a pulk sled, you can diy the poles with pvc. I have never done this bit don't see why it wouldn't work?

Thanks for the idea - looks like they haul lots of weight and have a few different attachment systems.

I might have to look into something like this.
1718765608288.png

TrackerG

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah. We basically turn ourselves into pack animals after we kill animals, so why not use wheels? I can pull more with my truck than I put in the bed of my truck. I can move more weight in a wheel barrow than I can carry. The physics is the same.

There is a flat two track that follows a creek almost all the way to camp. From camp, you hike up a mountain, but the first six miles are quite flat.

I think I want a solid anchor point.
Love it, I wish you the best of luck, no sprained knees ect. Sounds like an enormous pain in the ass, that in my opinion you could avoid if you bumped up your strength and packed light

Yoder

WKR
Is it really rocky? If there are tons of rocks, that thing is going to tip over. We have a game cart with the wheels canted at about 45 degrees that never tips. My regular cart, we are constanly fighting to keep it from tipping. It especially sucks when it's loaded down. I think it's a great idea.

OP
J

Jn78

WKR
Love it, I wish you the best of luck, no sprained knees ect. Sounds like an enormous pain in the ass, that in my opinion you could avoid if you bumped up your strength and packed light
Camp is pretty dialed in. I could spend a few thousand dollars and save a couple of pounds, but it isn't feasible to carry a light camp in for a week. It is usually zero degrees or below at night. We've backpacked in there with low temps of -15 ambient. Also, the goal is to pack out heavy😊.

I do the best I can with my fitness. I have been training year around for many years, but shooting an elk that far from the truck is a huge undertaking - very worthwhile, but it is a huge physical push. I love it back in this spot and part of my goal with this project is to extend the number of years my body can get an elk off that mountain.

OP
J

Jn78

WKR
Also not that I'm thinking of it you should try and have a quick detach system so if you do fall you don't end up with a cart on top of you.
Yeah, I will have to figure out how to deal with the cart on top of me scenario. With a rigid attachment to the backpack, the cart should stop before getting on top of me - cart is attached to backpack with a rigid pole, backpack is attached to me. But in the end, I would have to get myself out of that situation. The cart's clearance is about a foot, so my body does fit under it. If I get the backpack off, it should roll over me and not trap me unless a tire is in a depression.

In the end, I think I am going to have to accept the risk ending up on the ground with this thing on top of me or behind me. I accept the risk of the steep, snowy deadfall that I have to navigate to get from the top of the mountain back to camp and I accept the risk of sleeping out in the cold. I think this is just going to be another risk I have to accept and maybe I am wrong, but the cart may actually expose me to less risk than putting that many pounds on my back for that many miles.

OP
J

Jn78

WKR
Is it really rocky? If there are tons of rocks, that thing is going to tip over. We have a game cart with the wheels canted at about 45 degrees that never tips. My regular cart, we are constanly fighting to keep it from tipping. It especially sucks when it's loaded down. I think it's a great idea.
Thanks. It is not rocky. This thing would not be worth it in any other area I have hunted. The hiking is uniquely easy until you get to the spot we camp. Tipping would be a very bad thing, but I don't think it will be an issue here.

mjh

Lil-Rokslider
What about one of the several backpacking carts? Or at least some ideas for setting up your own rig.