Durston X-Mid Tents

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Durston also opened up ordering on their adjustable poles. I almost pulled the trigger on the Tarptent poles, but glad I waited for Durstons. Great adjustability and light weight. Suppose to ship in Oct..

6.5x284

WKR
Ran the X-Mid Pro for MT unlimited sheep. Saw one other X-Mid Pro up there to. Liked it but didn’t love it. Met other owner and chatted. Both of us had a couple real bad condensation nights even pitched 4” above ground and vented. I’ll probably go back to a Stratospire Li for the double wall and DCF combined aspect for mountain hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ran the X-Mid Pro for MT unlimited sheep. Saw one other X-Mid Pro up there to. Liked it but didn’t love it. Met other owner and chatted. Both of us had a couple real bad condensation nights even pitched 4” above ground and vented. I’ll probably go back to a Stratospire Li for the double wall and DCF combined aspect for mountain hunting.

Was it just the Pro having condensation issues?

6.5x284

WKR
Was it just the Pro having condensation issues?

Yea their double wall would be the ticket for condensation but I was trying to shed max weight. I wanted DCF for minimal flex in damp and windy conditions. Like I said I’ll probably go back to a Strat Li to keep DCF and a double wall.

This tent would be awesome for tons of applications (single wall DCF version) but I just don’t know high mountain hunting where lots of gear is stored in the tent is the best one. I run a DCF tipi and stove about November on.

Other option would be to pair this with by Borja DCF bivy for the cooler months. It will be fantastic scouting.

Definitely has a place. Just sharing my feedback since I thought it would handle condensation a tad better with a high pitch and dual vents.

I finally got one night in my Xmid 2P solid. Temp was a low of 39* and was surprised at the lack of condensation on the inner layer. A LOT of condensation on the outer layer though so I had to be sure to let everything dry out when I got back home as I had to pack up wet.

Really quick setup and a ton of room when solo.

bober90

FNG
Does the Pro have the top vents? I don't think materials would factor in too much, but I've not had issues with the standard 1P.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I think the fly being cut lower, so that you can pin it to the ground is one reason.

6.5x284 really has a solid example to consider, especially when you consider pitching the shelter off the ground for increased airflow - sometimes, especailly in late Sep/Oct here in MT, we get some really wet days from either extended rain or snow. That level of humidity is something we just do not see a ton of, and it is super easy to overwhelm a shelter. Smaller 1p tents most especially. The comment that a hybrid/single-wall DCF shelter may not work well for higher mountain hunts, especially extended outings, is a huge consideration. If you've got a stove to dry the shelter out that's different - but when you have a high condensation night, having space, and an inner tent really makes life a lot more pleasant. You can always start a fire (in most places) to help dry your clothing system, but shelter and sleep system is another thing. A lesson I seem to encounter every couple years but do not always heed.

docdb

Lil-Rokslider
I'm finding that level ground is essential in this type of tent (I have an XMid2 pro, and have had a Zpacks Duplex) and even floorless tipis. I you are not careful, the toe of your sleeping bag will find it's way out of tarp coverage during the night. My first night out in the Durston was in a 12 hour rain, had never set it up and started in the dark and in the rain and exhausted. All bad on my part, hey at least it wasn't cold. Gotta get the corners set just right and dont slide down to the end. Love the shelter

Shipping notices on the November Durston deliveries going out. says test arrive early November.

TBH it would be refreshing to see one of these companies actually ship on time and as promised. not a ding against durston, but I have gotten a little grumpy with some of these “buy it now, we ship it later” situations. Looking at you, Haven Gym Bags! If I had wanted a freaking gym bag in 18 months, I would have taken up sewing you freaking wankers!

OK…anywho…looking forward to my new tent, just hoping it arrives before my 3rd rifle season trip.

dapesche

WKR
bumping this up for more opinions.

curious to hear some experiences from August and early sept hunts when temps are warmer. Have to believe condensation issues aren't as bad when temp differentials between inside and outside temps are smaller.

I have my eye on the xmid pro 2 and the xmid 2p solid.

thanks

Ram94

WKR
Just actually sold a Hilleberg Nallo 3gt because of how comfortable it was in the 2P solid XMid this year. We had a stormy sheep opener and the thing handled it no problem and stayed bone dry inside. My favourite purchase as of late.

dapesche

WKR
Just actually sold a Hilleberg Nallo 3gt because of how comfortable it was in the 2P solid XMid this year. We had a stormy sheep opener and the thing handled it no problem and stayed bone dry inside. My favourite purchase as of late.
brilliant. I'm looking to sue this specifically for sheep up in NE BC. Thank you for checking in.

BrodieBC

FNG
Ive been running an original drop durston 2P for a few years and Im still impressed with it every time I use it. Its been used on lots of summer camping trips and my elk hunts. Never had any issues with durability and its held up to some good rain and wind without a problem.

sivart

WKR

I didn't realize that the pro is a single wall? Is he going to offer a DCF double wall in a one person?

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrAP