Durston X-Mid Pro 1p DCF Tent

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider

Pre-orders opened a couple minutes early and I bought one. I will start using it in March and post a review a couple months later.

taskswap

WKR
Wow that is insanely light for a tent with a full bathtub floor and completely sealed netted area to keep out the bugs (two big requirements for me). It's super expensive but probably worth it if it's well made. I'd be interested in a follow-up from you on how long you think it would last with moderate use.

I think my only wish-list complaint is that the reinforcements for the trekking pole ends don't have any kind of external loop. I wish one was sewn in. I often hike with just one pole rather than two, and use a ridgeline for my current trekking-pole tent. I often don't need a free-standing tent because I try to camp in timber stands to help block the wind, so that would be a cool thing to see them add in the future.

I think my only wish-list complaint is that the reinforcements for the trekking pole ends don't have any kind of external loop.
There are external loops on the peaks. They are pretty small but you can see them at 4:28 in the video:

They are designed for a downward angling pull so I'm might not be a great idea to crank too hard upward on them, but you could definitely pitch the tent by tying one peak up to a tree.

Regarding durability/lifespan, the X-Mid Pro 1 is built with DCF fabrics for the canopy that are super strong and should last at least a couple hundred nights with normal use. We use bonded construction and orient the material so all the major stress lines are along "the grain" of the material to avoid deformation. DCF is susceptible to abrasion, which is why we use a 15D nylon woven floor. It's not a beefy fabric but should also last a really long time with reasonable care. The tent fly is also highly UV resistant so it doesn't deteriorate like woven flys can.

taskswap

WKR
And do you need any "0 followers, nobody cares about that guy's opinions..." reviewers? I'd be happy to help...

We'll have another batch ready in April-May. There's a notification list on the X-Mid Pro 1 website if you want a heads up when they're back.

We're pretty well covered for gear reviewers - not so much because I have a lot of them but because we're a tiny company so it's mostly just me testing the gear.

- Dan

Read1t48

WKR
Dan-
Thanks for replying to this thread. No need this late in the day but I have a question...

How do you store this DCF fabric? I have heard you can’t stuff it in the sack but need to fold it carefully and in such a way that the creases don’t create small tears in the fabric.
Not sure I’ve seen a video of how to store in sack. I’ve seen a lot of videos on your tents. Looks like an excellent tent. Thanks for all your innovative design.

OP
B

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at it closely. I still think the pro 2 would be better, at only 2 oz more.
I choose the 1P because the footprint is smaller and it will be easier to find a level spot, and the vestibules are large enough for a backpack and rifle. Also if I have another person sharing a tent then I would bring my 3P nemo dagger that weighs 4.5 pounds and split the weight.

OP
B

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
Dan, instead of using trekking poles, is it possible to use a cut to length wood stick, maybe with some sort of protective cap/cover on the stick end to protect the tent pocket corner?

sivart

WKR
I choose the 1P because the footprint is smaller and it will be easier to find a level spot, and the vestibules are large enough for a backpack and rifle. Also if I have another person sharing a tent then I would bring my 3P nemo dagger that weighs 4.5 pounds and split the weight.
I thought about this as well. But if you look, the pro2 is the same length, and only 17" wider footprint than the pro1.

Dan, instead of using trekking poles, is it possible to use a cut to length wood stick, maybe with some sort of protective cap/cover on the stick end to protect the tent pocket corner?
I don’t have a lot of nights with my 1p, but those poles Dan sells are pretty slick.

sivart

WKR
Just ordered the pro2. I'm curious if you can cut branches rather than using trek poles or Dan's poles?

You can use sticks as long as the ends aren't sharp. The peaks are reinforced inside but a sharp stick rubbing during high winds might lead to issues, so I'd look at doing something like dulling it or tossing a sock on the end or something.

Regarding storing DCF, it's not great to excessively crease DCF because it can lead to delamination of the material down the road. So stuffing it is not recommended for max lift. You can fold it a few times and roll it up and that works well. That's what basically everyone selling DCF tents recommends.

Read1t48

WKR
@dandurston Can the X-mid shells be used a a quick emergency shelter (like configured into a flat or plow-style shelter with a couple stakes) to ride out a short-lived rain storm on a mid-day hunt? I realize I would have to remove the inner nest). I'm not really wanting to carry a separate tarp if the shell of the x mid (xmid1 in my case) will allow me to get by with a creative configuration.
Thanks for the feedback!
And nice job on the development of a tent that is creating a cult-like following. Simple but genius features. The respect is well deserved and I look forward to buying one.

lintond

WKR

Pre-orders opened a couple minutes early and I bought one. I will start using it in March and post a review a couple months later.

Any thoughts now that you’ve had the tent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^ I'm not Brewski, but I used the Xmid Pro 2 for scouting and alpine hunts last year, and was very pleased with it. At a very slight weight penalty and footprint size penalty, imo the Pro 2 makes way more sense than the Pro 1 for a hunter.

It has every advantage that you'd expect from the stats, plus it's the fastest-to-setup tent I've ever seen. Not freestanding, but the fact that you don't need guy outs is huge, so it doesn't take any more ground space than a freestanding tent.

The downside is that if you're in a really wet environment like I am, and especially if you have two people in the tent (my 14-year-old son was with me most of the time), you absolutely have to manage condensation before packing up in the morning if it's going to be a multi-day hike/hunt.
But to that end, @dandurston had recommended bringing a lightweight compressible towel on another site. I followed that advice and got these, and they worked well (it's a small towel that weighs 0.5oz; it's highly absorbent and squeezes out like a sponge):

OP
B

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
Any thoughts now that you’ve had the tent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After around 20 nights in the 1
person my brief thoughts are:

The durston poles are great.
The 1p is big enough for me and gear but I would take a hard look at the 2p for the extra space, to escape condensation, and more space to find a level spot for sleeping pad.
Great in warm and mild weather, alot of airflow, my go to tent for these conditions.
In cold windy rainy weather, even pitched low, it's super cold with alot of condensation even with peak vents open. I use my overstuffed WM Badger to add the warmth and the combo works well. If more than 3" snow is forecasted then I bring a double wall 3 season tent.
If its windy I use 10 stakes and also guy out the top. Really helps minimize the flapping noise and sturdy in high winds. In really windy weather the flapping is tolerable but annoying.
I'm nervous every time a pine cone falls of the taught dcf fabric but so far no holes or tears.
I've seen some great deals in the classifieds.