Durable, long lasting hunting pants

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to pick up a couple pairs of durable hunting pants. I had a pair of obsidian merino pants from firstlite and i liked them, but they didn't hold up at all. Had holes in them within a few month, and then the crotched ripped out about year 1. That was the 4th pair of firstlite items i had that ripped and tore, so I'm pretty much done with merino wool. I bought a sitka shirt last year, and it's holding up perfectly fine compared to the same thing in merino. It sucks because the merino stuff is great out of the box, but it just does not hold up in my experience.

(Side note, I just got off the phone with Firstlite and man do they have mediocre customer service. And this is not the first time i've dealt with them. Coming from a guy that runs a carpentry business, rule #1 of satisfied customers is kind, thorough communication with the customer. If the customer thinks you'd rather be dead than talk to them, or if you treat their questions with smugness and low energy , they are gonna just go to your competitor. If anyone from firstlite reads this, tell the guys that answer the phone to show some damn interest in the customer. God is that bad living in paradise working for an outdoor brand?)

Sorry for the side rant, let me know your thoughts.

Mark

I'm probably in the minority here, and it's definitely climate dependent... but I just wear a pair of the firehose pants from Duluth Trading Co.

They hold up to thorns/briars really well and block a good amount of wind. If they are not warm enough, I have a layer on under them. My go-to pair of pants lasted 4 years of constant use before they started getting some small holes. I'll happily replace them with another pair.

Works well for Oct/Nov hunts in AZ.

Mountain_Life

Lil-Rokslider
1. Durable (doesn't allow every thorn through)
2. Cheap
3. Hip Vents
4. Comfortable

If you can combine all 4 you'll sell thousands. The best I can do is combine 3. I've worn a few different types of the famous $20 wranglers, a few models of Kuiu, Duluth Trading Co pants, and quite a few others. Different conditions warrant different pants too.

Marble

WKR
1. Durable (doesn't allow every thorn through)
2. Cheap
3. Hip Vents
4. Comfortable

If you can combine all 4 you'll sell thousands. The best I can do is combine 3. I've worn a few different types of the famous $20 wranglers, a few models of Kuiu, Duluth Trading Co pants, and quite a few others. Different conditions warrant different pants too.
This is true.

I have a pair of Sitka Moutain Pants. They are:

1. The most comfortable pants own.
2. The most expensive pants I own.
3. Have great venting.
4. Very durable. They have survived barbed wire, thorns, a gorse running me into a few broken of trees that ripped my skin underneath my pants, but my pants survived.

My one complaint is there is only one pocket on the seat. And they are expensive.

I hunt 150 plus days a year and I'm on my 3rd season with them. Well worth it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

ToolMann

WKR
This is true.

I have a pair of Sitka Moutain Pants. They are:

1. The most comfortable pants own.
2. The most expensive pants I own.
3. Have great venting.
4. Very durable. They have survived barbed wire, thorns, a gorse running me into a few broken of trees that ripped my skin underneath my pants, but my pants survived.

My one complaint is there is only one pocket on the seat. And they are expensive.

I hunt 150 plus days a year and I'm on my 3rd season with them. Well worth it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I also really like my Sitka Mountain pants, but not sure I'd agree they have good venting.

IdahoElk

WKR
I'm in First lite ground zero and my friends that have them seem to have a durability issues(seams coming undone), I've been happy with the durability and features of Kuiu Attacks, no issues.

Rich M

WKR
I wear Wranglers most of the time.

Duluth makes some nice pants and Walmart used to have these nylon cargo pants that were tough.

OP
M

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
That and I've seen pants having issues, this was a few years a go, maybe those things are currently fixed?
The obsidion merino pants i had ripped in the crotch, and that was really common, but they've solved that problem

manitou1

WKR
I like the fit and feel of Kuiu Attacks, but man those things are fragile. I have a pair I hunted (hard) last season in and they look like a shag carpet that went through the civil war! If even walk close to a barbed wire fence they seem to get holes and pulls! My other two pairs have been relegated to casual attire.

OP
M

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
I like the fit and feel of Kuiu Attacks, but man those things are fragile. I have a pair I hunted (hard) last season in and they look like a shag carpet that went through the civil war! If even walk close to a barbed wire fence they seem to get holes and pulls! My other two pairs have been relegated to casual attire.
lol yea shag carpet aint good! I really dont like the stretchy material a lot of these companies use, stuff stags like the dickens

Mt Al

WKR
I have two pair of Sitka older pants, I think mountain and whatever the lightest pair was. Bought them after the patterns and vendors were switched from the early arteryx designers to 'better' designers, certainly over 7 years ago. I wear the mountain pants when it's cold, light pants when it's warmer, all year round - not restricted to hunting season.

Have had to have the seat in the light pants resewn last year. That. Is. All.

Sapcut

WKR
I wear KUIU Sierra or Attack pants every day. Comfort is off the charts good. I would not say they are tough as Levi’s but I did hit some barbed wire in my Sierras one day. The wire cut my leg and bled but didn’t put a scratch on the pants.

ODB

WKR
I have a pair of older black diamond Piero, and while I hate stretchy pants in general, I must say they are tough as hell. They are about 5 years old and no issues at all.

jd1006

WKR
I’d get the Fjallraven Lappland Pants for all season. For warmer weather, I’d go with the kuiu kutana.