Dumb question

Other than a potential safety concern, is it detrimental to leave a powder charge in your gun?
I've had 120 gr by vol bh209 in my Knight since the September season.
Is unburnt bh209 corrosive?

Cheers

madgrad02

WKR
Following as well - though I use that as an excuse with the Mrs... I NEED to go out because it is loaded and needs to be fired! 🤣

Bluefish

WKR
It can absorb moisture, then won’t fire. Not sure how long it takes.

I have gone for a week or two with no issues, but not months.

Wrench

WKR
Temp swings mess with powder, it creates condensation. Its easy to unload with compressed air....put the muzzle on a plastic bowl and keep it there as you GENTLY add air to the nipple. You can lift the muzzle and the bullet will be close enough to not blow through the bowl.

MThuntr

WKR
agreed with above potentials. I don't think it's an issue with BH209 as it would be for black powder or pyrodex. When you get a minute (sooner than later) take the rifle to the range and shoot it. I'd bet $20 it goes off without a hitch. Then clean as you would.

As far as damage to the gun goes, I'd be less concerned if the barrel is stainless, and if kept in a dry atmosphere, it'll fire normally next year.

If there is no good reason to keep it loaded for an extended period, I'd unload it by removing the breech plug.

Jethro

WKR
I’ve had 777 loads in my inline for 6-7 months and black powder loads in flintlock for 3-4 months that fired with no hesitation. Stored in soft case in basement till I got around to shooting and cleaning.

Depends, as has been said, on the ambient humidity, but, there should be very little concern with Bh209. I leave my rifles loaded all season (Sept to Feb) or longer. And I hunt on a fouled bore. No issues.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
It can absorb moisture, then won’t fire. Not sure how long it takes.

I have gone for a week or two with no issues, but not months.
I agree.

Get that thing fired (or pull Breech plug) and cleaned!

(but will yield to @ElDiablito and other users who habe experience going months, I've just never gone more than a week or two.)

EdP

WKR
Flintlock shooter here. A patched roundball allows no air to the powder from the barrel end. A round toothpick in the touchhole keeps air out from that direction. It can sit loaded for a long time with no issues. I don't bring my ML with a load in the breech into the house. It goes into my truck in the garage. The garage is unheated so that also solves the issue of condensation on the exterior from bringing a cold gun into a warm (and more moist) atmosphere.

Sudsy

FNG
It is far too common to have people come in wanting to sell an old muzzleloader fully loaded with patched ball that's been hanging over the mantle for decades. They're always shocked it was loaded.
The loaded area (after stripping out the load) is never any more corroded than the rest of the barrel.

WKR
Posted on a sidelock thread but just saw this one. I just fired off a load of Swiss that was in my Hawken since Sept. Fired immediately, cleaned it up and no rust or issues. Probably could have gone a lot longer but wanted it empty. I'd just shoot your's the next range day you have.

manitou1

WKR
I agree.

Get that thing fired (or pull Breech plug) and cleaned!

(but will yield to @ElDiablito and other users who habe experience going months, I've just never gone more than a week or two.)
When younger I left a ML loaded with 209 from one season to the next. I did put tape over the trigger guard writing " loaded" on it... thinking I would take it out and shoot it soon enough.

That thing rusted terribly!

Sudsy

FNG
It is far too common to have people come in wanting to sell an old muzzleloader fully loaded with patched ball that's been hanging over the mantle for decades. They're always shocked it was loaded.
The loaded area (after stripping out the load) is never any more corroded than the rest of the barrel.
Need to specify - that's with real black powder, like Goex
Pyrodex is far more corrosive and will probably rot out the barrel