Duck gun

CorbLand

WKR
I always saw the 870 as the duck gun. Of course my old man went and got a 1100s and 1187s so on any given day I might have a double, an 870, or one of the semis.

If yer gonna buy, get the ability to shoot 3.5 inch shells - just in case.
The few new 870s I have seen havent been that good. We have gotten a couple in that have had issues right out of the box. We didnt even sell them, just sent them back to the factory.

Rich M

WKR
The few new 870s I have seen havent been that good. We have gotten a couple in that have had issues right out of the box. We didnt even sell them, just sent them back to the factory.
I've heard that about the new ones.

Mine is at least 30 years old, the finish is worn off the wood from use and the times I used it for a paddle or ice breaker. It functions as flawlessly as any other well made gun.

KurtR

WKR
The 870 wing master my dad bought in 1979 then gave to me has been through the wringer . Won a couple state trap titles and been used hard when I got it. Never missed a beat. I can say I don’t know anyone who has shot 3.5 for at least 10 years now most are back to 2 3/4 with the shells boss is putting out . At most 3 with either heavy hammer 3 shot or black cloud 2 . My days of pass shooting are behind me and 40 yards is probably the farthest shot I have taking dove along time.

jayhawk

WKR
Yup. The older 870s were bullet proof, but I think as Remington started to slow slide into bankruptcy (again) they had a lot of problems.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
When my son grew out of his 20 gauge last year, we went shopping for a 12 gauge. He liked the fit & feel of the SX4 and purchased it. The gun jams about every 5th shot. I thoroughly cleaned it and it still jams. I am going to get my buddy to tear it all the way apart and clean it and see what happens. If this doesn't fix the problem, I am not sure whether to send it back to Winchester or get rid of it and buy a Franchi or Benelli. We went to the gun store yesterday and he really liked the way the Franchi & M2 felt to him. He picked up the Barettas but they felt awkward and heavier that the other two. Anyone else have problems with their SX4 jamming? I think he got a lemon.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I've had a couple 12 ga. 870's for a WHILE. No problems whatsoever.
Bought my son a newer (10-12 years ago) 20 ga., 870 that will sometimes
get a hiccup cycling 3" shells.

Mikido

WKR
Dude m3000 not cycling? I shoot everything in that gun, in saltwater, and NEVER clean it. Take it apart and give it a good cleaning. Plenty YouTube videos.

ID2NM

Lil-Rokslider
When my son grew out of his 20 gauge last year, we went shopping for a 12 gauge. He liked the fit & feel of the SX4 and purchased it. The gun jams about every 5th shot. I thoroughly cleaned it and it still jams. I am going to get my buddy to tear it all the way apart and clean it and see what happens. If this doesn't fix the problem, I am not sure whether to send it back to Winchester or get rid of it and buy a Franchi or Benelli. We went to the gun store yesterday and he really liked the way the Franchi & M2 felt to him. He picked up the Barettas but they felt awkward and heavier that the other two. Anyone else have problems with their SX4 jamming? I think he got a lemon.
I recently got rid of mine. Completely unreliable, especially in cold weather. I cleaned the hell out of it, tried multiple lubes, and switched ammo and it made no difference. I’d ditch it and try something else if I were you.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I recently got rid of mine. Completely unreliable, especially in cold weather. I cleaned the hell out of it, tried multiple lubes, and switched ammo and it made no difference. I’d ditch it and try something else if I were you.
I have read that many love the SX4 and have excellent luck with them. I guess there are a few lemons mixed in. We decided last night that we are going to move on another gun. It wasn't like he was shooting only low brass dove loads. It jammed with 3" duck loads every time we hunted. Thanks for your input. Misery loves company :)

Oregonboy

WKR
Another vote for the Franchi affinity. I've got one in 20 and 12 gauge, no complaints.

dtrkyman

WKR
The sx4 gas system has been around and proven for years, seems they may have changed something as I have heard of some recent issues.

Did you degrease the gun when you got it? Most guns are shipped with a cosmoline type grease to stop cosrrosion, stuff is like glue and causes issues with any gun!

After 20 years problem free with my Browning gold 20ga(same system) I finally had to tear down the recoil spring and clean it out, that thing was filthy and solved an occasional hang up with dove loads.

The magazine tube can also cause some failure to feed issues. I would completely tear it down and clean it before scrapping it.

Fogalo

Lil-Rokslider
You won’t be disappointed with a browning clitoris.
I’ve got a cynergy. Bought used and it never jams - have used it to find a log to pull myself out of the mud multiple times, dump the water out break it open and clear the barrel, get back to bangin. Love having two chokes for first shot close and second far. I did put a TRUGLO bead on it.

If the triggers gold the bird will fold.