DT2 or DT3

So I have a duplex frame and cargo panel that I bought last year, WOW is that thing versatile!! Cant decide on picking up a DT2 or the 3. Most of my hunting is day hunts with only 1 bivy hunt a year, for now. My bivy hunting usually consists of 4 to 5 nights out. I am kinda leaning towards the 3 and adding pockets if I need.

Whats your thoughts?

What would be better for hauling out an elk quarter? If you always take the cargo panel you could add pockets to it to carry all your day hunt/bivy gear and then put the quarter in a game bag and haul it with the cargo panel.

Curtis C

WKR
If I already had a frame and C Panel I would go with the DT3.

I will likely order the DT2(if I can get one here by early- mid Sept) since that will be a little less $ than ordering a DT3 and C panel

C

JG358

WKR
DT3 with a cargo panel is a pretty slick set up. That being said, DT1 doesnt weigh all that much more and packs down pretty small when just running day gear.

Last edited:

a3dhunter

WKR
I would choose the DT2, the DT3 only has 10 inches depth, the DT2 has 14+" depth. It also expands up quite a bit. Definitely the more versatile of the two IMO.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
You can always compress down, you can't expand. Sure you could get a DT3 and add more pockets and what not, but you'll be sleeker, lighter, and cheaper overall just going with the larger pack. The Timberline and Duplex Timberline compress down so well the extra unused cubic inches is a non-issue when they are being utilized but they sure come in handy when you gotta pack more than you planned or something happens that makes you gotta haul your buddies gear out or something too. Honestly if I were to own one bag it'd be the DT1, the difference between teh DT3 and DT1 is just 14 oz. Then if you ever get a wild hair to go do a 10 day sheep or mountain goat hunt you'll have space galore!!!

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
DT2 all they way....The 3 would be pretty cramped for 4 or 5 days if you kill something and tried to get it out in one trip. Plus I don't like to have a lot of stuff hanging off my pack if I can fit it inside.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Yep, some say you can never fill up 7200 cu in.....I beg to differ. :D

IMGP1275.jpg

millsms

FNG
Why not both :) I ordered the DT3 and C Panel this year. Hopefully get it this week and will probably order the DT1 for longer extended hunts! I've tried larger packs for day hunt stuff and never really liked it. I prefer two setups but thats just my 2 cents...If you can only go with 1 then the DT2 as to the reasons listed above.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The weight difference for a DT1 with frame and XTL lid is less than 5% more than the weight difference between a DT2 and an XTL frame. The if you ask me 5 oz for 2000 cubic inches of space in case ya need it is pretty good bargin.

Granted I have a DT3 and a DT1 enroute, but we'll see how long the DT3 stays, its pretty tough to beat a big pack that compresses so well. I'm thinking T1 and DT1 depending on my uses. The T1 will still be lighter than a DT3 overall and more capacity for packrafting and what not when I am not planing on hauling huge loads and the DT1 for all my hunting/hauling needs.

hunting1

WKR
I went DT3 due to I have a LH bag and wanted a heavy hauler day pack or light weight over nighter. I have a cargo chair, but am on the fence as to buy a cargo panel. It is sitting at home waiting for me, so I will mount it to my frame when I get home tonight from vacation.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I'm supposed to get my DT3 next week. I also ordered a medium pod, small belt pockets for my belt, a grab-it and large pockets to put on the side/back of my pack. I chose this because the modularity means that I can range from 4k cubic inches to nearly 6k, and once I set up a base camp I can leave behind my pod and/or pockets to streamline my pack for daypack use. I can also stick my empty pod in my pack on shorter trips and use it and my grab-it to make room in my main pack for meat if need be.

7mag.

WKR
Wow, Aron, looks like that T2 is carrying more gear, and could still handle even more, while the DT3 is about full.