Drugs - An honest use and need

I spent the last three days with an abcessed tooth. I controlled most of the pain with Tylenol. This morning my dentist did a root canal. As the novacain worn off the pain got so intense, I couldn't stop crying. Something I'm not prone to.

My wife offered some of oxycodiene but then couldn't find it. (This was from her recent knee replacement) I stumbled into the bathroom and found a remnant bottle of hydramorphone. After 30 minutes and an icepack I got the tears under control. I got four pills left from my cancer surgery in 19. Hopefully the pain will subside before I run out.

As the wife and I sat in our lazy boys with blankets on I said "I guess this is what the golden years are gonna be like dear." She hit me with a pillow.

Yoder

WKR
I hope your tooth is ok. I've had a couple root canals and the pain was pretty much gone once it was done. Once the nerve is out you shouldn't have pain like that. Maybe from the infection? Nothing like tooth pain. Getting older is amazing.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Yup, golden years ain't all the golden. I do hope you get it under control.

Yeah something isn't right...never had a lot pain after a root canal have had at least 4...I would go back to the dentist, maybe they didn't get all the nerve, may have broken off piece of tool left in there...I had had friends and family have both happen.
Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
I had a pinched nerve in my lower back once that had me nearly speechless from the pain. Muscle relaxers, oral painkillers nothing worked. After weeks in bed I went to emergency and got a morphine(I think) shot in my back. I think I teared up a little just from the relief from the constant pain. Days later I was back to almost normal.

Hate to take hard drugs but after spending weeks useless in bed I couldn't help but wish I had got the shot sooner.

Beendare

WKR
A pretty successful guy around here- Stanford guy, retired from Finance got hooked on pain meds after surgery and was drinking while playing a local golf private club golf tourney...on the last hole he pulled his pants down and was walking around pissing on the course cursing up a storm in front of a shocked crowd of locals.

OP
P
Thanks guys. It's been nearly 6 hours and the pain has not returned. The pain wasn't in the tooth but the jaw. Even the beard hairs were painful to touch. There may be hope yet.

CorbLand

WKR
My uncle always says that the three most secure jobs in the world are
1.A doctor, because people always get sick.
2.A mortician, because people always die.
3.A dentist, because you ever tried to do anything with a tooth that hurts?

I would keep an eye on the tooth. I have never had a root canal but my wife had one and went to work for 8 hours right after. It didn’t seem to hurt her that bad.

KsRancher

WKR
Oh man… I had the same exact experience a few weeks ago when I got a root canal on top back molar. The novacain wore off before I even got out of the chair and I was not sure if I was going to make it back on the drive home. thought I was going to have to pull over to vomit from the extreme pain. I absolutely detest narcs but when I got home there was no choice but to take an old Percocet of my wife’s. I don’t think it’s age related at all. Tooth and jaw pain have to be at the top of the list of absolute worst pains, right up next to gun shot wounds and giving birth (lol).

And just to clarify my pain tolerance, I usually do all my cavities without novacain or local anesthetic. Always freaks out new and timid dentists when I tell them not to give me anything.
I like it. When I was 14 I was driving tractor for a local farmer. I had to take off one morning to go to the dentist. He told that his dad never got any kind of numbing when getting cavities filled. So I decided if he could do it, so could I. Haven't been numbed when getting a cavity filled in 22yrs. It's really not that painful. It just gets DANG cold. My original dentist retired. He was great. When I first said "no more numbing" he laughed and said "okay". Went to a new one and he refused to fill it without numbing. So I went to another. He was timid at first. But after that no problem.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
The really ugly side issue was constipation. It will give a new perspective on life.
I had it so bad after my hip replacement surgery that seven months later when I had knee replacement surgery, I asked for a strong laxative as soon I got in my room, I spent one night in hospital after surgery. Laxative did not work so I requested the next step, that is how much I did not want to go through constipation again it was that bad. Prior to hip replacement surgery I never had constipation, ever. I thought you all would like to know that. :)

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did your dentist not send you home with a prescription for pain meds? I’ve never needed more than Tylenol after the in office stuff wore off but always filled the prescription and kept it near by. Might try some oragel with over the counter meds

3.A dentist, because you ever tried to do anything with a tooth that hurts?

This is the truth. Tooth pain can be unbearable.

I had a cracked molar that was capped a while ago. Last fall about a week after I had COVID I started getting this pain across the side of my face that I felt in the top and bottom teeth. It would hit really bad for a few minutes then go away. One day it came so bad it crippled me for what felt like 5 minutes. I couldnt stand, I was sweating and shaking. Worst pain I think I ever felt. As soon as it passed I went to the emergency room.

Ended up going to the dentist and they said I needed a root canal but when I went in for it they decided to do another 3D scan and said they think there is something going on between the roots. Had the tooth removed and all the pain was gone. I couldnt believe how much pain that tooth sent through my whole side of my face. So glad they did that last check and decided just to remove the tooth. Woke up and it was over. Never even took the pain killers they gave me.

2531usmc

WKR
I had it so bad after my hip replacement surgery that seven months later when I had knee replacement surgery, I asked for a strong laxative as soon I got in my room, I spent one night in hospital after surgery. Laxative did not work so I requested the next step, that is how much I did not want to go through constipation again it was that bad. Prior to hip replacement surgery I never had constipation, ever. I thought you all would like to know that. :)
Sounds like a s%&t story to me!

Sorry to hear about your troubles Pony Soldier. Tooth and jaw pain kinda sucks as everyone has agreed. Hopefully you don’t have any lingering issues.
I had it mild for a day and then really bad with roving jaw pain and nausea for a day. Emergency dentist visit for temp relief and next morning for emergency root canal. They looked at it and said that wasn’t enough but they couldn’t pull it?? Next morning I was in a different chair talking to a guy holding sterilized vice grips. He pulled a molar and gave me a script. As soon as I felt the Novocain wearing off I took one pain pill. After that it was Tylenol for a day. Five days later I drove across the country and backpacked after elk for ten days.
I’m not a tough guy by any stretch so I know you can handle it. Get well soon

Last edited:

hunterjmj

WKR
Had a root canal about 2 months ago. The pain dam near crippled me. Called around till I found a place and they got me in the day. The pain literally was gone after the root canal. $2600 later pain is gone and I have a nice whitish crown.