Drop Proof low power scope for bears question. Trijicon? SWFA?

eamyrick

WKR
I just switched scopes on one of my 375s that I’m planning to use for bears. I wanted a lower power, durable optic with some sort of illumination in it.

I needed up mounting a trijicon credo HX 1-4 with warne mountain tech low rings on warne bases all torques to spec. It’s a good fit for what I want to do with this rifle. It was also nice that euro optic is blowing these scopes out so 400 dollars for a thousand dollar scope is great.

In that pic, you can see the scope I replaced, it’s a Nikon African monarch that I crimped like a dumbass using crappy split rings. The new set up is much more solid and reliable even if s bit heavier. The weight isn’t a huge issue on this gun, it’s not like I’m going backpacking for a week with it.

Beautiful rifle. I just had a lightweight 338 built and was thinking of a Trij 1-4.

Wapiti1

WKR
What does the illumination dial get in the way of? Initially thought the same going from a 1-4 Nikon to a 1-4 trijicon but after mounting it I realize it’s not going to get in the way at all, a total non factor.
Speedy reloads are the concern, if you mount the scope as low as possible. This might not be a consideration for everyone.

For the rifles that I put these on, the stocks are setup for open sights as the primary and the scope is a secondary sighting system. So, the scope is mounted as low as possible (sometimes in custom mounts/rings).

On some of these low power scopes, the illumination dial is kind of large, and gets in the way of a reload in a hurry. My personal opinion is that you just eliminate the possible problem and go with a non-battery operated scope. Keep in mind that I built these are last ditch stopping rifles per the owners specs.

Jeremy

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Speedy reloads are the concern, if you mount the scope as low as possible. This might not be a consideration for everyone.

For the rifles that I put these on, the stocks are setup for open sights as the primary and the scope is a secondary sighting system. So, the scope is mounted as low as possible (sometimes in custom mounts/rings).

On some of these low power scopes, the illumination dial is kind of large, and gets in the way of a reload in a hurry. My personal opinion is that you just eliminate the possible problem and go with a non-battery operated scope. Keep in mind that I built these are last ditch stopping rifles per the owners specs.

Jeremy

Well the illumination dial is on the opposite side of the gun as it gets loaded from so I guess I’m confused. My rifle has open sights but I’m not using quick release rings.

Now of you had a left handed rifle, I could see how the illumination dial could be in the way but….well, no not really because it is identical to the windage dial which is there anyways.

So. I’m still confused. I can’t imagine a scenario where the illumination dial on that scope interferes with loading the rifle.

Wapiti1

WKR
Well the illumination dial is on the opposite side of the gun as it gets loaded from so I guess I’m confused. My rifle has open sights but I’m not using quick release rings.

Now of you had a left handed rifle, I could see how the illumination dial could be in the way but….well, no not really because it is identical to the windage dial which is there anyways.

So. I’m still confused. I can’t imagine a scenario where the illumination dial on that scope interferes with loading the rifle.
Sorry, two of the rifles were lefty. I thought I typed that, but missed it. Is it a problem? We thought it was. It may not be for anyone else.

Jeremy

One of the LPVOs that the military uses should pass the test. Trijicon VCOG, Vortex Razor 1-6, Nightforce, Sig Tango 6T, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a credo 1-4 And really did not like it. Eye relief was horrible, especially at 4x and the reticle was very faint. I can't see how it would be good for a bear defense situation, my use case was short range Whitetail and it was unusable.

The Bushnell 1-8.5 (smrs I think) is out of production, but should be a cheaper option than the nightforce lpvos when you can find one. The Bushnell elite stuff generally has a good durability reputation

Bushnell has a 1-4 elite has really good eye relief and a heavy duplex reticle, on the lower price end that might be a good choice. I like mine, just needed dialing capability for the spot i ended up hunting the most with my inline. Buy me 2 boxes of 6.5 creed ammo and I'll remount and drop test it for you, it's currently for sale.

I just switched scopes on one of my 375s that I’m planning to use for bears. I wanted a lower power, durable optic with some sort of illumination in it.

I needed up mounting a trijicon credo HX 1-4 with warne mountain tech low rings on warne bases all torques to spec. It’s a good fit for what I want to do with this rifle. It was also nice that euro optic is blowing these scopes out so 400 dollars for a thousand dollar scope is great.

In that pic, you can see the scope I replaced, it’s a Nikon African monarch that I crimped like a dumbass using crappy split rings. The new set up is much more solid and reliable even if s bit heavier. The weight isn’t a huge issue on this gun, it’s not like I’m going backpacking for a week with it.

With your other thread I don’t think you can go wrong with this setup. Looks bomber, lightweight and simple.

You have me considering trying to find this optic

OP
Luke S

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
Well I found a good deal on a used Trijicon 1-4 Accupoint so I'm a bit poorer now. I wish it wasn't so bulky but if it's tougher it will be worth it for the peace of mind.

The 1-4x SWFA Classic available now will not stand up to the 375. The 1-6x HD will from what I’ve seen. The Trijicon 1-4x and 1-6x will also generally.
How about low power/lightweight Handgun scopes with long eye relief (10-20 inch eye relief)... something like you would mount on a Ruger Redhawk or Thompson contender pistol for handgun hunters? Any you have done any drop testing on or know of any to be particularly durable? I've heard they put them through additional impact testing to make sure they can hold up to the punishment of heavy recoil from magnum revolvers. Something like the:

Burris Handgun Scope 2x20 or 2-7x32

Or

Leupold VX-3 Handgun 2.5-8x33

Shraggs

WKR
The 1-4x SWFA Classic available now will not stand up to the 375. The 1-6x HD will from what I’ve seen. The Trijicon 1-4x and 1-6x will also generally.

I have most of these currently. I can’t verify the swfa 1-4 less robustness yet. But it is on a 12 g slug gun with only a dozen down the tube.

I love both trijcon and swfa 1-6 both on mid bores. The tri 1-4 is also a nice scope. One thing not mentioned - although the glass and brightness is a smidge better on tri the reticle boldness is much better on swfa. Much.

When I hear bears, I imagine close or closer could be possible? And, if dialing for distance isn’t a primary concern then I agree with Jeremy on the accupoints with the fiber optic reticle if your choice in the 30mm tube versus the credo line.

Great you don’t believe your leupold lost zero on three spills. But trust your caution you opened with. Guys telling you they’re equal reliability wise to are flat out wrong. 7, 7 different leupolds have failed for me over the years. Folks that characterize this as swfa or trijcon fan boys are dismissing relevant failures documented here beyond forms test. Kinda insulting to me.

Very simple if I’ve ever had to re zero it failed. Could care less if it adjusts fine to new zero, it failed. Often did so sitting in gun safe… Every single friend or family I’ve know had to with their leupolds.

Of course that stumbles right into I used to shoot three shot zero…

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
How about low power/lightweight Handgun scopes with long eye relief (10-20 inch eye relief)... something like you would mount on a Ruger Redhawk or Thompson contender pistol for handgun hunters? Any you have done any drop testing on or know of any to be particularly durable? I've heard they put them through additional impact testing to make sure they can hold up to the punishment of heavy recoil from magnum revolvers. Something like the:

Burris Handgun Scope 2x20 or 2-7x32

Or

Leupold VX-3 Handgun 2.5-8x33

Totally out of my experience base.

4th_point

WKR
I can't get the idea of a low mounted Aimpoint micro being a good choice for a timber and brush rifle out of my head.
I wanted to try a RDS on my .338 WM but had sold my Aimpoints, so I took a PA RDS off a rimfire and gave it a whirl. Hunted with it one year.

IIRC, the first photo below was laying in the dirt shooting off of my elbows and no front rest. Second was seated.

I did pretty well out to ~300 yards with that setup. I think that my astigmatism was a bigger handicap than the RDS. Had to turn the brightness down to minimize the comet shape. Obviously not an issue at close range.

210 TTSX at 2900+

180y_group3a.jpg

180y_group1.jpg

sndmn11

WKR
I wanted to try a RDS on my .338 WM but had sold my Aimpoints, so I took a PA RDS off a rimfire and gave it a whirl. Hunted with it one year.

IIRC, the first photo below was laying in the dirt shooting off of my elbows and no front rest. Second was seated.

I did pretty well out to ~300 yards with that setup. I think that my astigmatism was a bigger handicap than the RDS. Had to turn the brightness down to minimize the comet shape. Obviously not an issue at close range.

210 TTSX at 2900+

View attachment 549337

View attachment 549338

Is that PA dot an expectation buster? I want to get one for the kid's 10/22, and I can't get myself to bargain shop a red dot sight yet.

4th_point

WKR
I used that one PA RDS on a few firearms over several years. It saw a lot of rounds, but mostly 223 and 22 lr, besides the 338 WM. What finally failed was the clamp with threaded hole. I probably could have gotten a replacement part but chucked it.

I've been using the Crossfire as a low cost RDS lately but haven't done nearly as much shooting with it.

Boltgun

FNG
How about an older Burris MTAC? They were pretty high speed back in the day, and can often be found pretty cheap.

I have a 1-4 hasn’t been on anything high recoil, but I’ve beat the snot out of it hog hunting and it has always held zero.

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt bears in Alaska with a light 375 Ruger (customized) and occasionally a 358 Ruger American (redneck customized).

Since 2018 I've had a Leopold 1-4 on my Ruger in Alaska Arms QD mounts. It's fallen 3 times that I know of. Once it fell from leaning against a jeep, once from partway up a stand, and once it fell onto a dying black bear after I leaned through bushes to put a finish shot in at point blank range. As far as I can tell it's held zero. It might have shifted a tiny bit but that might have been me (not a super precise scope to).

BUT the drop test forums have got me thinking. My scope hasn't been tested to that level. Also heard a few stories of big African rifles breaking Leopolds (my 375 is "small" there but lightweight means more recoil). An upgrade might be smart since a broken scope and inbound grizzly are bad.

What do you guys think would be a more rugged scope that goes down to 1x or max 1.5? The Nightforce looks good but outside my budget. Options that might work would be a Trijicon or a SWFA 1-4 or 1-6. Seems like I heard the 1-4 would brake but the 1-6 was better. Any thought? Those $450 Trijicon Ascents look interesting. I like the less cluttered reticle for close in.
My custom lightweight 375 Ruger (Modified M77 Alaskan with Alaska Arms QD rings) wears a Trijicon Accupoint 1-6 Mil-Dot and I have had good luck with it so far in terms of durability and zero retention.

Beaver flights, getting tossed around by Alaska Airlines, dropped a few times in the rocks, smacked by heavy whippy alder branches, rifle getting used like a walking stick/alder shield, and the recoil of a 7.5 lb. 375.

To be simple about it, the view and ability to put it work quickly is as good as any scope I've ever used for a 0-400 yard big game gun and I trust it. If it ever let's me down I'd likely switch to NX8.

They go on sale sometimes on Midway and EuroOptic and disappear quick, worth looking for.

wyosam

WKR
Seems like the big concern is a “failed” scope on a charging bear. What does failure of the scope look like? No longer tracks? Who cares, doesn’t sound like a scope you’re dialing. Zero shifts? How much? 4 moa would seem like a significant failure to maintain zero to me. I sure gotten rid of scopes for far less. What happens if you’re suddenly 4 minutes off and that bear thinks you look like lunch? At 25 yards your scope is off by an inch. Seems like you’ve got a scope that has proven to handle the job you need it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk