Driving between Phoenix and Denver?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looking at a new job that would require a week of orientation in Phoenix then they’re asking me if I want to drive my company vehicle back to Denver.

Two part question. First one, will I regret a 14+ hour solo drive (can get a hotel and break up the drive)? If I do it what route would minimizes mountain passes, ice, snow and long stretches of nothing.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I've driven between the two several times. No problem driving all in one day, just pull into a rest area and nap when you get tired.

Not too many choices on routes. All will have stretches of boring an mountain driving. Check weather before leaving to make a better decision.

The driving part is really up to how much you mind driving. I dont mind it.

I would think the best way to avoid passes and bad weather is probably the route through Albuquerque then up to Denver. Heading up to Moab would get you on I70 so that should be ok driving if you hit some weather.

wyosteve

WKR
It’s a fairly easy drive. I-17 north to I-40 at Flagstaff to I -25 at Albuquerque and then to Denver. RatonPass at Colorado line is about the only one that could be dicey depending on the weather.

Northpark

WKR
I’ve driven that route several times. Pretty drive no matter which route you choose. And with some good podcasts downloaded A 14 hour solo drive can be pretty pleasant.

AZ8

WKR
Done it many times. However, that stretch from Las Vegas NM to Raton is freaking brutal!! Probably the most boring part of the trip.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
Break it into two days. Why beat yourself up with a 14 hour day of driving just to be really, really cranky the next day? I prefer the Albuquerque routing. Depending on how the roads are, you can diagonal through Winslow, AZ, and will be a disappointment by, hey, bucket list.

I second the podcast idea. If have not listened to the Outdoor trivia podcast show which is released roughly weekly by Rinella and his crew then download all those episodes. Is a fun 20 minutes or so of my podcast week now. If you have any interest in current events in business, technology and the venture capital world then another podcast to consider is All-In with Chamath and crew.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m thinking the route through Albuquerque, NM. Vail pass and Eisenhower tunnel don’t sound fun if a good storm hits.

Albuquerque has a gritty reputation, any recommendations on where to stay for a night?

svivian

WKR
I’m thinking the route through Albuquerque, NM. Vail pass and Eisenhower tunnel don’t sound fun if a good storm hits.

Albuquerque has a gritty reputation, any recommendations on where to stay for a night?
Don’t have a place to recommend to stay but Twin peaks is a good restaurant to eat at 🤣

deadend88

Lil-Rokslider
I do the drive from Chandler to Castle Rock in 12 hours. If I’d stay anywhere for low key in NM, stop in Las Vegas. Next day is 4:30 hours into Denver and an easy day. Raton pass isn’t difficult, even in winter. I’ve done this drive about 12 times in the last 24 months and it just gets boring from Gallup to Raton. My suggestion is take 89 through Paysson to Heber and take an hour or so off the run and Flag traffic.

MattB

WKR
That is actually a pretty picturesque drive however you go. My experience is the SW res's can be dodgy so fill up when you can off-res, nd Santa Fe is much better than Albuquerque. Have never been on the stretch north of Raton, but have driven all the highways between there and Phoenix.

Open up google maps and zoom out / in and see if any spots interest you to visit

Depends on if snow / no snow too.

I always like to find places to make a pit stop on king hauls if time isn’t of the essence.

Mesa Verde National Park (dwellings in rocks) looks like a sweet stop.

Also.

Colorado Springs has Scheels (hour south of Denver). Always worth a stop for that amusement park of a store.

Road trips rock !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A week in PHX in February on an expense account? Sure, poolside please.

ABQ: Come for the Enchanted (tm) sunsets, stay because some tweaker poached your truck.

Don't stay at the ABQ hotels along I-40 (west side or east). Better bet is downtown with secure underground parking or a few miles north on I-25.

NRA Wittington Center up by Raton.

ToolMann

WKR
Like others, it isn't a horrible drive. I'll usually go through Flagstaff on the way down and Payson on the way home to switch things up. I once had to drive to Flagstaff, spend 2 hours, and come back. It was a long 23 hour trip.