drive or fly from the east coast to central utah elk hunt.

vtmooser

FNG
Wondering if time is not a problem would you drive to central utah the first week of October for an elk hunt or fly from New England. If successful ,the best way to get our meat back.

Traveler

WKR
Time isn’t an issue? Drive, no question. No lost bags, damaged bags, cheaper, bring a vehicle with your tires, no risk of reserving a truck to have only sedan rentals, stay later if you want.

Unless of course you are using an outfitter. Then it’s an even split depending on the outfitter

SWFLhntr

Lil-Rokslider
That’s like 5 days worth of driving there and back? Can’t imagine not flying. But I’m certainly no expert.

CJohnson

WKR
Idk? Are you by yourself? Do you have a truck? How long are you planning on staying? Are you planning to hit several different areas or hike it and go all in on one spot?

I lean towards driving because of the airline loses any part of your stuff the trip is really crippled. Not sure how often that happens, but it’s not a chance I’m willing to take.

Dunndm

WKR
What’s more important to you. Time or money. To me, I’d fly.. I go crazy driving more than 6 hours. I’d rather just special package and ship the meat myself, and pay for both shipping and a flight to save me days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
V

vtmooser

FNG
the train is out. There would be two of us sharing the drive. 3 days could be feasible. Wondering the best way to bring back the meat ( 2-Elk )

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
I have driven the last 2 years, I took 2 125 qt coolers. I like the flexibility of driving, having my truck in the mountains, no lost gear and the option of bringing bone in meat home. Podcasts and XM satellite radio help pass the time.

I will drive if I can. Two 120 quart coolers for one elk at minimum. 150 if you can. Good luck.

Trial153

WKR
That drive is a killer. I have done it. No more. Anything over 28 ( I drive an 18 hour day, then a ten hours day) and I don’t even consider driving anymore. Drive like that add four or even five days to a trip….I would rather spend the extra time hunting.

My nephew and I just did a cow elk hunt in AZ in October. We chose to drive from north central Illinois. Out in two days roughly 22 hours total. He hadn't been west of Missouri so good experience. We took my Honda generator and his small cube deep freeze. Plugged the freezer in at the cabin when we got to AZ. Shot my cow opening morning it was frozen solid when we left two days later. We wouldn't have had room for another cow had he shot one. We debated flying but it's nice to have all your gear with you and being able to process on your own once you shoot an animal. Tough call you have to weigh all the pros and cons. By the way it sucks coming back when the time change works against you.

Rich M

WKR
I drove from FL to WY and CO. 30+hrs each way.

The hunts were nice and i was relaxed. Got home and right back to work..,,exhausted. Drove 32 hours from CO w only a 4 hr nap in AL. Glad to have rented a toyota w radar cruise control, life changer there.

Fly if you can make it work. Drive if you got 4 guys to switch off every 4 hours or so.

Fullfan

WKR
We drive from Pa to idaho. But the crew of guys that go some own their own business. And some are retired, and some have to take vacation. Retired guys drive one truck and tow a 26’ enclosed trailer with freezers and all the equipment. Guys that fly all do on same day, then drive a rental to camp. Could not imagine trying to get equipement out and back, then getting the meat home. Most years we kill 2-4 elk. Two years ago we killed 8. Had to buy two more freezers. Flying saves some time, but the headache of getting your stuff out and back. No thanks.

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
For me vacation days are a problem. Being that, I would fly to save on the days. I also dont like to put that many miles on a truck now that is pretty hard to replace. The meat does suck, you can fly home with 50lbs and ship the rest. Expensive but in the long run it will wash.

nam1975

Lil-Rokslider
I flew out to Colorado. One way rental truck back. Bought cheap coolers at Walmart that I sold after I got home.

Also, the airlines ship cargo at decent rates. My cousin just had 150 lbs of bluefin tuna shipped from San Diego to Cleveland. But your processor has to commit to helping on this.