Drew an interesting tag - could use some advice (CO unit 140)

sndmn11

WKR
From the state park website:

• Elk, deer and bear hunting opportunities will be offered for both the September seasons (1 elk, 1 deer, and 1 bear) and regular rifle seasons (3 elk, 1 deer). Additionally, if the lucky winners for the regular rifle season elk and deer opportunities also hold a valid BE083O5R bear license, they will be allowed to hunt bear on the property during their elk or deer season. See what licenses are available.
  • One mountain lion hunter will be allowed access during the mountain lion season
  • September 2022 hunting opportunity: The application period has ended. Winners will be notified by email.
  • Applications closed March 9 for 2022 spring turkey hunting and was offered for up to 5 hunters.

I don't know if I read that as 3 elk 2 deer for each rifle season (if license available) or 3 elk 1 deer for all rifle seasons combined.

OP
Newtosavage
I don't know if I read that as 3 elk 2 deer for each rifle season (if license available) or 3 elk 1 deer for all rifle seasons combined.
Just the one (3rd rifle) season. The drawing was for tag holders of unit 140 3rd rifle elk or deer tags. Maybe in the future they will have more staff and offer more opportunities. Don't know and don't care because I never expect to ever get drawn again. LOL

OP
Newtosavage
Trying to decide between two loads for this hunt. Thoughts?

7mm-08 20" barrel:

1) 120 TTSX @ 3140 fps.
2) 139 LRX @ 2900 fps.

The 120's are just slightly more accurate, but not significantly.

Hnthrdr

WKR
What a cool opportunity, I have followed the creation of fisher state park some. Don’t settle for an average buck down there. The south and eastern parts of CO hold true monsters! Had a good friend that guided down in that country around Trinidad some and they killed some big bucks. Good luck to you and looking forward to hearing about the successful hunt.

McCrapper

Lil-Rokslider
Best of luck to you, super cool opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Newtosavage
How did this hunt turn out? Seems like a really cool opportunity would like to hear a little about it if you ended up goin through with it!
I ended up only hunting 3 days. Took a buck on day 3 that most here would find pedestrian, but it was obvious the rut had not kicked in and all I was seeing was yearling and 2.5 year old bucks. The place is pretty cool, but having to walk in from the highway every day really limited the amount of country I could cover. I put in about 7 miles and 3k vertical each of the three days. Snowed almost the entire third day. I was on the fence about taking the buck I did, but he was as close to the truck as I was going to find one and was the best of the 14 I had seen up to that point.

I will admit that all the work building up at home was in the back of my mind. This was the first hunt in CO I've had where I really didn't feel like I could spend the whole time hunting.

The area is very interesting alright, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed that I didn't see better deer. One day, I saw 21 deer and the best buck was a narrow 4x4 out of all of them. Maybe the good 'uns were still up high, but I went up on top of the mesa one day and still didn't bump out anything decent.

Freezer came home full and I'm happy with the one I got. I admit, I'm a pretty crappy trophy hunter. LOL Maybe I'll learn to be more patient as I get more experience.

It was cool knowing I was the only MD hunter in 19k acres though. But it was really more country than I could cover from the truck every day, on foot.

Attachments

• IMG_4108.jpg
    IMG_4108.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

fishslap

WKR
I ended up only hunting 3 days. Took a buck on day 3 that most here would find pedestrian, but it was obvious the rut had not kicked in and all I was seeing was yearling and 2.5 year old bucks. The place is pretty cool, but having to walk in from the highway every day really limited the amount of country I could cover. I put in about 7 miles and 3k vertical each of the three days. Snowed almost the entire third day. I was on the fence about taking the buck I did, but he was as close to the truck as I was going to find one and was the best of the 14 I had seen up to that point.

I will admit that all the work building up at home was in the back of my mind. This was the first hunt in CO I've had where I really didn't feel like I could spend the whole time hunting.

The area is very interesting alright, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed that I didn't see better deer. One day, I saw 21 deer and the best buck was a narrow 4x4 out of all of them. Maybe the good 'uns were still up high, but I went up on top of the mesa one day and still didn't bump out anything decent.

Freezer came home full and I'm happy with the one I got. I admit, I'm a pretty crappy trophy hunter. LOL

It was cool knowing I was the only MD hunter in 19k acres though. But it was really more country than I could cover from the truck every day, on foot.
Post up a pic. I like looking at any deer. I shot a small 2.5 year old 8pt whitetail so far this year and it made me happy.

OP
Newtosavage
Nice! Cool brow tines for a muley.
I thought so too. Like I said, not a giant but good enough for me, especially considering what I had been seeing over 20+ miles for three straight days. I glassed from ridgetops for probably 5-6 hours/day too.

I'm sure there were better deer in there but they had too many places to hide. I felt like a needle in a haystack in that place! Weird feeling to be honest.

Attachments

• IMG_4044[1].JPG
    IMG_4044[1].JPG
    376.6 KB · Views: 96

Fatcamp

WKR
I thought so too. Like I said, not a giant but good enough for me, especially considering what I had been seeing over 20+ miles for three straight days. I'm sure there were better deer in there but they had too many places to hide. I felt like a needle in a haystack in that place! Weird feeling to be honest.

We're you required to walk in every day? No camping?

OP
Newtosavage
We're you required to walk in every day? No camping?
Correct. Had to walk in from the highway every morning and be out at dark. I would have loved to be able to camp there. I camped at the Trinidad Lake SP which was like glamping for me, but the showers were nice even if I did have to pay for them. $36 a night for a site + $5 day pass +.50 for a 3-min. shower. LOL I've never stayed in a park that was so expensive before.

OP
Newtosavage
Guess I could have stayed on the Lake Dorothy WMA for free since I had a tag for that unit, but that would have meant driving over the pass every day, and with weather moving in I didn't really want to do that either.

OP
Newtosavage
That's tricky. Nice buck.
Pic doesn't do the size of his body justice. One reason I shot him is I realized he was an older deer. He had a big gut when he turned broadside and when I walked up to him, I realized I had just shot the largest (body) deer of my life. I got 75 lbs of boneless meat off this guy according to my garage scale! Now that's a trophy for a meat hunter like me! :D

Just one hind quarter, shoulder and backstrap gave more meat than a whole mature whitetail around where I live. So it was like shooting 2 deer at once for me. ha, ha.

Fatcamp

WKR
Pic doesn't do the size of his body justice. One reason I shot him is I realized he was an older deer. He had a big gut when he turned broadside and when I walked up to him, I realized I had just shot the largest (body) deer of my life. I got 75 lbs of boneless meat off this guy according to my garage scale! Now that's a trophy for a meat hunter like me! :D

Got a picture of his skull cleaned up?

He isn't a real young deer from what I see.