Dream Sheep Gun

tdot

WKR
Awesome looking setup. At sub 7#, I see little reason to mess with the vx3 for weight savings!
I might need all the help I can get this year, otherwise I wouldn't have bought the VX3. Though it will be nice for still hunting blacktails in December.

Those paradigm stocks look pretty sweet and nice builds guys!

Their website is terrible! I guess you have to email them to get answers and place an order? Not even a phone number I can find...

Decker9

WKR
Definitely gonna try to have it dialed for this season. Have some Bergers landing tomorrow for break in and load development and then I'll work on a load for some Hammers for hunting season.

My physio gave me the thumbs up to start training for sheep season yesterday. So I have 6 weeks before my hunt is planned to actually train, after being laid up for the last 9 months due to an MVA, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes. 1st Hike was this AM and my back didn't go into spasm, so here's hoping I can pull it off.

Hopefully your build lands when it was promised. Good luck on your hunt!

Fingers are crossed for you! I can relate to back spasms, their crippling! Fuelled by cortisone over here.

madcalfe

WKR
The stock shape/feel is awesome in the Living room tests, should hopefully get out o shoot it next week. Then I'll know for sure.

Not too happy that the rear swivel is stuck in the stock and I can't get it out. Will speak to Paradigm to find out how the laminates are built up in that area before I decide how to remove it.

The Hawkins mag is awesome. Really impressed with it. Had also purchased their Obendorf bottom metal as I figured I'd prefer that for mountain hunts. But the Hawkins mag and DBM is so slick and light that I likely won't swap.
Hmm weird my stock doesn't even have a rear swivel, just a QD mount in the side of the butt stock. And that’s good to know about the Hawkins I’ll probably make a switch!

tdot

WKR
Fingers are crossed for you! I can relate to back spasms, their crippling! Fuelled by cortisone over here.

Living on Cortisone must be brutal. I've never experienced pain like this nerve pain. I feel for you having to live with it. Good on you for not letting it slow you down.

tdot

WKR
Honestly take a look at a HCA summit.
That’s probably the route I’ll end up going.
I considered the Summit, but the projected weight was only an oz or two less then the HCA Light Hunter I have. I ended up with a Paradigm with the lighter 1/2" liner and it was marginally lighter then the HCA Summit. More importantly it was in stock, here in Canada.

tdot

WKR
What barrel and contour are you running? Proof sendero?
Paradigm 95 Contour, with the 1/2" liner, so it's already a light barrel. But there is definitely some weight savings possible. My guess is the contoured shank on the Gunwerks should save a few ounces atleast, less carbon on their barrel is an oz or so, and then a 2" shorter barrel is an easy 2-3oz. Of course if they use a thicker steel liner, then any weight savings is out the window.

madcalfe

WKR
Paradigm 95 Contour, with the 1/2" liner, so it's already a light barrel. But there is definitely some weight savings possible. My guess is the contoured shank on the Gunwerks should save a few ounces atleast, less carbon on their barrel is an oz or so, and then a 2" shorter barrel is an easy 2-3oz. Of course if they use a thicker steel liner, then any weight savings is out the window.
how are you liking that paradigm barrel? is it picky with loads?

tdot

WKR
how are you liking that paradigm barrel? is it picky with loads?
Just started break-in, 3 rounds down the pipe, so no opinion yet. But I will say it cleaned up very easily, very little copper fouling.

My gunsmith wasn't too impressed with the 300wsm barrel, apparently the exterior surface of the shank wasn't concentric with the bore, so he had to turn the shank to put them parallel. But the bore on both barrels were good, so that's the most important part.

madcalfe

WKR
Just started break-in, 3 rounds down the pipe, so no opinion yet. But I will say it cleaned up very easily, very little copper fouling.

My gunsmith wasn't too impressed with the 300wsm barrel, apparently the exterior surface of the shank wasn't concentric with the bore, so he had to turn the shank to put them parallel. But the bore on both barrels were good, so that's the most important part.
well thats good! let me know how it performs cause im looking at a 6.5saum prefit from gobigtactical

tdot

WKR
well thats good! let me know how it performs cause im looking at a 6.5saum prefit from gobigtactical
Still early, but 30 rounds down the tube. After initial break-in and cleaning. I shot 2 ladders, testing 2 different powders for pressure, 1 ladder had a 3 shot group of 0.3moa, across 2 grains of powder. The 2nd ladder had a 4 shot group of 0.5moa across 2 grains of powder. Both groups were within the same 150fps spread, so it seems to be a pretty large velocity node. At this point all signs point to it being a pretty decent barrel.

Last edited:

madcalfe

WKR
Still early, but 30 rounds down the tube. After initial break-in and cleaning. I shot 2 ladders, testing 2 different powders for pressure, 1 ladder had a 3 shot group of 0.3moa, across 3 grains of powder. The 2nd ladder had a 4 shot group of 0.5moa across 4 grains of powder. Both groups were within the same 150fps spread, so it seems to be a pretty large velocity node. At this point all signs point to it being a pretty decent barrel.
sweeeeet well thats good! there barrels are light to! got me really thinking of grabbing that 6.5 saum prefit now lol

jda2631

FNG
Just to answer some questions about paradigm barrels. I have one in 7SS cut to 20". All work to it was done by PVA. It is a very nice barrel, I have a few proofs and this barrel is just as accurate as they are. I just couldn't find a 20" 7mm proof blank, and the paradigm's can be cut to any length just like a steel barrel so I decided to try one. I have no reservations at all about it. As for 7SS performance out of a 20" barrel, I am shooting Berger 175 elite hunters at 2850 fps.