Dream hunts a 20 year old should build points for?

Wyco307

FNG
Without a doubt. Got an OTC tag in AZ for deer I'm taking advantage of. I'll be hunting every year, hopefully at least twice. These draw hunts are more intended to be something I get enjoyment from planning them than actually thinking they're going to be some fantastic, otherworldly hunt.

I would imagine I'll likely get my highest scoring animals from other places easier to hunt given the fact I'll be there more frequently. Something about the thought of having a unit packed with 350" bulls, though, is nice to think about for the future lol
I would just make sure to set realistic expectations even with draw units. Even most limited quota units aren't packed with 350+ bulls. Most dudes on forums saying they are seeing that many 350 bulls are realistically hunting 300" bulls. I agree with you on most of your success will come from those other tags though! They are all great options. Even hunting general OTC units we see a few bulls of that 350+ caliber every season.

I'd go ahead and start with points in CO, WY, UT, NV.

Then I'd start hunting for fur (if you get my meaning) in one of those states after law school. Preferably fur that comes with a ranch.

jmez

WKR
None. When you start out behind on points, when they creep, you never catch up. Your also assuming the points game will go unchanged in the next 20 years. Build them all you want. They have become essentially useless.

Something about the thought of having a unit packed with 350" bulls, though, is nice to think about for the future lol
I'm a decade ahead of you and don't have any illusions of any slam dunks at drawing such a tag other than on a long shot.

None. When you start out behind on points, when they creep, you never catch up. Your also assuming the points game will go unchanged in the next 20 years. Build them all you want. They have become essentially useless.
Useless? I am going on good hunts every year, usually burning a handful of points. I wish I had been in the game when point systems were started and you could hunt the top tier units a few times…but no sense crying over spilt milk. If a guy wants to give the middle finger to point systems, that’s fine but he won’t be hunting very often.

jmez

WKR
Keyword, when points systems started. Does no good to start now. You are starting out 20 years behind in a system where this increases every year.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
In most states the some points is starting to be the new otc. Having some in multiple states that have elk I would never call useless. I have been to Arizona twice with not sufficient points. Technically I only had a tag once. Both my hunting partner and I were 10+ points away from having a chance to draw. If I had your outlook I would never have hunted Arizona. We can all complain about the system and put in for New Mexico and see how much hunting you do.

jmez

WKR
So 10+ points away from a chance, and you drew. What good were the points?

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
You do you, whatever works. My point is if I went with your theory of why bother put in points are worthless I would never hunt. You clearly have a better system roll w it.

Tod osier

WKR

Ideally, he should be waiting for new tags to come out to start building points on. Some that will be available in the next few years: SD pheasant tag, WY yellow-bellied marmot stamp, Montana feral pigeon tag, Colorado cottontail nonresident tag, and Nevada ground squirrel. ;)

Last edited:

LostArra

WKR
If a guy wants to give the middle finger to point systems, that’s fine but he won’t be hunting very often.
Not true. I prefer double middle finger and hunt elk every year as a non resident.

One problem with a long term points plan for a non resident is that you cannot predict changes in the draw system and you have zero influence on those changes. Ask the nonresidents holding a dozen Wyo moose points. And who would invest in a long term plan in Colorado with the political influence on their commission?

And remember when you start buying those first points in multiple states they have an annual pipeline to your wallet because if you miss a year or two you could be back at zero.