Drawing bow back with drop away (in stand)

I'm sure this has been discussed but when I get into my stand I like to practice my draw and check clearances (from limbs, etc.) and really visualize the shot. The problem is when I let it down my arrow flails around also sometimes comes off my string or nearly does. I never had this problem with a whisker biscuit years ago.

Is this something you guys just put up with or do most people only draw their bow back once a deer comes? I suppose I could practice with no arrow nocked but that just doesn't seem right.

You could eliminate the drop away. There's full containment rests on the market now that don't touch your fletchings.

Jethro

WKR
Don’t practice draw without an arrow nocked. That adds too many other possible problems. Simple answer, man up. You should be able to lower your draw slow/controlled enough to keep your arrow on string and rest.

hiker270

WKR
Don't pull your bow back without an arrow in it, that's a recipe for disaster. I pull my bow back when in the stand just to stretch out my muscles. I let it down slow enough that the arrow don't bounce on the rest. Takes some practice but once you get accustomed to the draw cycle it can be done. Its something I practice when shooting because on many occasions I have come to full draw only to have a deer or elk stop at a bad shooting angle or behind a tree or brush and I had to let down.

Jfujan

Lil-Rokslider
If you practice and can't control it,
may be a sign that you should drop draw weight a bit.

OP
W
Don't pull your bow back without an arrow in it, that's a recipe for disaster. I pull my bow back when in the stand just to stretch out my muscles. I let it down slow enough that the arrow don't bounce on the rest. Takes some practice but once you get accustomed to the draw cycle it can be done. Its something I practice when shooting because on many occasions I have come to full draw only to have a deer or elk stop at a bad shooting angle or behind a tree or brush and I had to let down.
I'll be honest I don't practice it, I'm thinking maybe that is the ticket. My bow does have a ton of let off so I feel like its going to be interesting but if that's what everyone else does I don't see why I cant.

Yes last year I had a real nice buck come in and catch me by surprise. I ended up drawing on him but he busted and I couldn't get a shot. Fast forward to an hour later another really nice deer came in, when I drew I noticed my arrow was OUTSIDE of my rest. I forgot to frickin reclick the rest to the up position after the first deer! So, I was able to at full draw take my finger and push the arrow (pretty sure I pushed the broadhead) back up and into the rest as the top piece that comes over it is flexible enough. Ended up shooting that deer but ultimately didn't get him and he's still alive this year. Just a nightmare. What can go wrong will go wrong.

OP
W
If you practice and can't control it,
may be a sign that you should drop draw weight a bit.
I'm thinking after practicing ill be able to control it slower so its not as sudden. draw weight is not the problem, ironically i dropped from 70 to 60 this year but even 70 was fine. I just figured why not, also figured my shoulders will thank me later in life.

GTS-KY

FNG
I’m running the new QAD and if I have to let down, my rest remains up. Mine only drops away upon release. I’m not familiar with your rest but has it always worked this way? If not could it be a rest tuning issue?

OP
W
I’m running the new QAD and if I have to let down, my rest remains up. Mine only drops away upon release. I’m not familiar with your rest but has it always worked this way? If not could it be a rest tuning issue?
That's interesting. Yes it has and I just assumed they all went down when the draw is let down. Maybe it is a rest issue I guess. What kind of QAD is yours?

Robobiss

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe it’s an older style rest or there’s something wrong with it but I know for certain the last few QAD’s I had had will 100% stay up if you go to full draw and slowly let down. Maybe you are letting down too fast, maybe there’s something mechanically wrong with the rest, maybe it was never designed with this feature or any combination of the three.

I can index mine all the way to up with my finger and slowly let it back and it will still “catch” stay up as well as drawing and letting down it will stay up.

It will only drop when you either shoot, or pull it back all the way with your finger and let your finger slip off to let it “spring” down. This is how I get it to drop so I can put my arrow away when it’s time to climb down.

It might be time to invest in a newer rest with this feature if yours is too old to have it. I could understand it being a PITA if it doesn’t stay up at all if you let off and it’s not operator error letting down too fast.

OP
W
Maybe it’s an older style rest or there’s something wrong with it but I know for certain the last few QAD’s I had had will 100% stay up if you go to full draw and slowly let down. Maybe you are letting down too fast, maybe there’s something mechanically wrong with the rest, maybe it was never designed with this feature or any combination of the three.

I can index mine all the way to up with my finger and slowly let it back and it will still “catch” stay up as well as drawing and letting down it will stay up.

It will only drop when you either shoot, or pull it back all the way with your finger and let your finger slip off to let it “spring” down. This is how I get it to drop so I can put my arrow away when it’s time to climb down.

It might be time to invest in a newer rest with this feature if yours is too old to have it. I could understand it being a PITA if it doesn’t stay up at all if you let off and it’s not operator error letting down too fast.
I agree, I bet mine just doesn't have the feature. Its old and I bought it used years ago. Think its time to pony up.