Draw hunts NM

Mojave

WKR
Resident here. In 2019 i drew gila elk. 2021 deer 34. Nothing in 2020. This year 23 coues. We rarely draw more than 1-2tags. Most years wedraw zero

CAM_D

FNG
My 8yr old son drew an Ibex tag!!!
Mentored youth allows Ibex at 8 years old? I thought you had to be 11 for anything more than birds and squirrels. Genuinely curious because I have an 8 yo, 13 and 15 yo that all hunt.
From NMDGF Page https://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/education/hunter-education/mentored-youth-hunter/

MY hunters 8 and 9 years of age are eligible to purchase a Game-hunting or Game-hunting & Fishing License and hunt small game only.

MY hunters 10 to 17 years of age are eligible to purchase a Game-hunting or Game-hunting & Fishing License and may hunt and apply for the following species: deer, javelina, pronghorn, turkey, and small game. Please note that youth must be of the specified age by the March 2021 application deadline to apply for qualified species through the draw

This part isn't clear, and is maybe how you could hunt other species earlier:

Once registered, MY Hunters may hunt with a qualified Mentor for up-to two consecutive license years. Before the registration expires, MY Hunters are required to complete a Hunter Education Course, after which the youth can hunt any legal species independently with no age restriction. Each youth may register for the MY Hunting Program once only.

Last edited:

WVelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
My son passed his hunters education before applying for the hunts. I was told by multiple sources, as long as he has his hunter ed card, his good. That being said, from my research, it looks like he's in for a really challenging hunt.

CAM_D

FNG
My son passed his hunters education before applying for the hunts. I was told by multiple sources, as long as he has his hunter ed card, his good. That being said, from my research, it looks like he's in for a really challenging hunt.
Where did he take hunter's ed? All of the NM classes I've found are for 10 and up.