Double duty red dot? Pistol/Turkey gun

RocketRob16

Lil-Rokslider
I am considering putting a red dot on my Smith and Wesson M&P 22 when I suppress it. I've been looking at a few of the options (Burris FF 3 and Holosun mostly) and have also thought about throwing a red dot on my turkey shotgun after many of my hunting buddies have swapped over with great success. Is anyone using one red dot for both?

Mortar

FNG
I don’t personally have one on a shotgun, however I do have experience with them for shotguns.
The holosun 407 is a fantastic choice for that. Holosun on shotguns in my experience hold up to the recoil. Any dot in theory should do great on the .22.

I’d look at whether you want an open emitter (ran them for years with no issues)or closed emitter (better in weather, but much larger looking).

Also consider a common footprint to make mounts easier to find. I.e. RMR, k series, 509t.

Kurts86

WKR
I have moved a Holosun 507c around that’s been on 2 different turkey guns and 2 different pistols. You can do it but I really prefer my turkey gun to have a dedicated optic so I’m not rezeroing turkey loads annually. Rezeroing with TSS is costly and not particularly fun.

The holosun 407 series are cheap enough that I don’t see the justification to not have two $250 optics. A holosun 403 series (Aimpoint micro footprint) can be had as cheap as $150 and is fully enclosed for a turkey gun.

As mentioned the foot print and available direct mounts for your gun will drive your decision as well as the decision over open versus enclosed optics.

Mortar

FNG
I have moved a Holosun 507c around that’s been on 2 different turkey guns and 2 different pistols. You can do it but I really prefer my turkey gun to have a dedicated optic so I’m not rezeroing turkey loads annually. Rezeroing with TSS is costly and not particularly fun.

The holosun 407 series are cheap enough that I don’t see the justification to not have two $250 optics. A holosun 403 series (Aimpoint micro footprint) can be had as cheap as $150 and is fully enclosed for a turkey gun.

As mentioned the foot print and available direct mounts for your gun will drive your decision as well as the decision over open versus enclosed optics.
Good call. I forgot about the 403. That really fits the bill perfectly for a shotgun

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a Cmore I typically run on a comp pistol but it's currently on my kids shotgun for turkey season

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk