Door Knocking?

Mojave

WKR
I have done it. But I am kind of over it now.

I don't ask for permission and we don't give permission on our own lands.

Had a lot of problems with my family giving permission on leases I was on.

I had a lease with my father, and we were sitting there at the gate and a dad with 4 12-16 year old girls asked my dad if they could hunt and he told them yes. They shot 4 deer out of there before they left.

Another time on the same hunting lease, my father, who invited my uncle and my uncle invited his 5 grandsons. Then they showed up next year without asking. The first year I got away with it. The 2nd time the rancher caught us and I forfitted the lease without getting my money back.

We used to own a timeshare in Orlando at Disney, my %X$*ing sister tried the same shit.

Mish-pop

Lil-Rokslider
I have done it plenty of times and will still continue to do. I have only ever asked for waterfowl in my home state and a good share of the time it is a yes. Often the farmers that say yes have a few rules and I make sure to adhere to them strictly. After I get to know the farmer I do bring up deer somehow in a conversation just to inquire about what they see for deer in the area, if they hunt, etc... Everytime before I would get the chance to ask they say either they do or they have family or friends that hunt. Deer hunting is definitely more locked up where I'm at.

grfox92

WKR
It was the only way to get permission in Suburban New York and Connecticut where I grew up bowhunting. We would sometimes knock on over 100 doors in a weekend and get zero permission. But we kept doing it, and scored some great spots that way.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

I have done it in Oregon. My ratio is about 20 nos to 1 yes. But it got me a cow elk one year, so all worthwhile.

It can be a little hard to keep believing in it, but if you do it enough, it pays off eventually. Kind of like hunting.

I’ve done it with mixed success. It’s weird, I had one property I wanted to get on for deer, but you always hear the “ask for less and build relationship strategy” so I took my kids(8&6 at the time) down to ask for permission to hunt squirrel and rabbit, old man comes to the door and about the minute I opened my mouth he just gave me a flat no. Another time asking for duck hunting permission I was told “we don’t allow the murder of animals on our property” kinda ironic it was a cattle ranch . I have found the easiest hunt to get permission for is archery antelope, people usually just laugh and tell me good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KenLee

WKR
The trouble with trading work with access is getting fair exchange of value. Often a full days work is worth a couple of hours hunting at the end of the day....apparently.
Depends on how good the hunting is. I can think of many farms that I'd make that deal 10x a year

KenLee

WKR
Care to elaborate? More research, more work after asking, more gifts? I'd love to hear a tried and true method.
You have to do whatever it takes to convince them that you are different from the other 5 or more people they let hunt who screwed them over. Cause unless the owner just bought the land, it has happened. People suck.

TSAMP

WKR
Care to elaborate? More research, more work after asking, more gifts? I'd love to hear a tried and true Method
Complex system. I'd venture to guess 60% will say flat NO, regardless how charming you are. Another 20-30% will say no because of you or the way you asked.

Some guys are so pushy and dont even know it. I met a fishing guide on the Canada border a couple weeks ago in our campground. After some passing conversation and talking about gundogs he gave me some crappie spots to try. (I was the only idiot with a camo welded boat up there) afterwards he saw my plates and we chatted about deer, I offered up some public tips, which he declined and asked about private. I said well I have some and I deer hunt, if it worked out that we're both hunting while he's in town I'd be happy to let him join. That wasn't enough he wanted a season long lease and asked repeatedly. After multiple no responses he said I had to know somebody else who had ground that would be and I just said that ships sailed.

KenLee

WKR
Complex system. I'd venture to guess 60% will say flat NO, regardless how charming you are. Another 20-30% will say no because of you or the way you asked.

Some guys are so pushy and dont even know it. I met a fishing guide on the Canada border a couple weeks ago in our campground. After some passing conversation and talking about gundogs he gave me some crappie spots to try. (I was the only idiot with a camo welded boat up there) afterwards he saw my plates and we chatted about deer, I offered up some public tips, which he declined and asked about private. I said well I have some and I deer hunt, if it worked out that we're both hunting while he's in town I'd be happy to let him join. That wasn't enough he wanted a season long lease and asked repeatedly. After multiple no responses he said I had to know somebody else who had ground that would be and I just said that ships sailed.
I now have a standard response for people who are that pushy. "$20k per acre and you must buy the entire parcel, because I'm not hunting anywhere near you."
Shuts em up quickly.

Fowl Play

WKR
I have been successful in the past. Currently have a few owners houses I drive by regularly just trying to catch them in their yard to ask them. House is setback about a 1/4 mile from the road with an open gate leading to the driveway. Just kinda feels weird driving that far in on their property and knocking on their door...