Don’t be stupid like me. Knives are sharp.

waspocrew

WKR
A no-cut glove on the hand opposite of the one holding the knife will save your bacon - please don't ask how I know this. I nearly saw a fatality in a gutting/quartering operation on a kid's first mule deer buck. Dad was standing at the buck's head leaned over and holding the front legs open and (for some unknown reason) the kid decided he was going to split the ribcage with a knife. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to predict what was about to happen - that first rib broke under extreme force from the kid and he nearly drove that knife in his follow-through upswing into Dad's throat. It was CLOSE, so close I believed he made contact. Scared the hell out of everyone. And with good cause, we were three miles from a boat to get back across the Snake River to a point that was four hours from McCall. Knives are really dangerous in field situations because we're tired and in a hurry to get an animal in a pack.
Holy shit, that sounds terrifying. Glad it was a miss.

dhatter9

FNG
Thanks for the reminder! I got super lucky last year in that I only cut the very top of my thumb off last year and not the whole thumb. I was opening up a bear and the knife stuck, and then stupidly I applied more force instead of repositioning. The knife “released” and flew into my off hand neatly slicing the very top of my thumb. I cut off the 1/8” between the end and the nail. Bled a lot and was able to clean and be ok, but an inch or two lower and I may not have a left thumb. I definitely always wear the cut less gloves now.

Havalon knives are a no for me unless I need to do detailed work. After all, you don’t see butchers using scalpels and doctors using butchers knives…food for thought.
This is where I’m at with my type of hunting. No real reason for me to use a scalpel style knife. I bought and played with a few but went back to a drop point folder in my pack for walk in hunts and fixed boning knives if I’m cutting up deer at a camp. Not the most lightweight option but I more comfortable with it.

I keep these in my kill kit. ANSI level 5 is about where I think is the best combination of dexterity and protection. ANSI recommends level 6 for meat processing, for what it's worth. At level 8, dexterity is fairly compromised, in my opinion.

Pro's: better grip than nitrile, breathable, protection from incidental knicks, cuts, pokes, keep your hands warm when it's cold, reusable.

I throw them away if they get really fatty or otherwise gross. If they're just bloody, I wash with my game bags.

These gloves probably are not going to fully stop a forceful puncture or slash but they would lessen it.

Glad you made it out alright. I have duct tape and electrical tape wrapped around my water bottle, partly for this reason.

I made a similar mistake in grad school. Buddy killed a bull and I got in too much of a hurry breaking it down. Knife slipped and I got a pretty good gash across my pinky and ring finger, mostly pinky. Wrapped it up in duct tape and had to keep going.

Somewhere there's a picture of me riding a motorcycle out of there with an elk rack on my back holding one hand in the air.

Seven stitches at the university health clinic that evening, still in hunting clothes and covered with elk blood.

like others here, I bought a havalon thinking it would be my sole backpacking-animal-breakdown knife. After using it around home I won't take it into remote areas with me. I have yet to get through an elk without "knicking" myself and doing so with a havalon could make something much worse.

My worst butchering cuts though have came from butchering at home. It's easier to get complacent when you're in a controlled setting with help and phone service at the fingertips. That's when I try to rush and end up having close calls.

TaperPin

WKR
“Cut towards your chum, not your thumb.”

I see people with cut resistant gloves develop a number of bad habits, that will get them injured when not wearing the glove.

Jimmy

WKR
I've never had this problem, my knives are dull.

seriously though, I think all the time how cutting myself is the most likely bad thing to happen out hunting. I added some blood stopping stuff to my pack this year. Never thought about a special glove

I keep these in my kill kit. ANSI level 5 is about where I think is the best combination of dexterity and protection. ANSI recommends level 6 for meat processing, for what it's worth. At level 8, dexterity is fairly compromised, in my opinion.

Pro's: better grip than nitrile, breathable, protection from incidental knicks, cuts, pokes, keep your hands warm when it's cold, reusable.

I throw them away if they get really fatty or otherwise gross. If they're just bloody, I wash with my game bags.

These gloves probably are not going to fully stop a forceful puncture or slash but they would lessen it.
I picked up some amazon cut resistant gloves for my kit this year. Always seem to nick myself at least once. Hopefully they get some blood on em in a couple weeks.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdamMon