Dog packs?

Hdhunter

FNG
Hello thanks in advance! what dog packs should one look at for extended trips? Thanks

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Depends on how hard your dog is on packs. My Lab mix destroyed a Mountainsmith in two outings and I ended up carrying it 10 miles back ... With a bunch of extra goodies I put in for him because he was supposed to carry it . My next dog pack , I'll probably have sewn at our shop LOL

That's funny Kevin, our Pyrenees did the same thing to a mountainsmith pack. It seemed like a well made pack but she got going through some tight brush after a coyote and came back with a messed up pack. I'd suggest to the OP going to a shop that sells multiple brands with your dog in tow. Different packs fit different dogs differently, a brand that fits my dog like a glove might not fit your similar sized dog at all.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That's funny Kevin, our Pyrenees did the same thing to a mountainsmith pack. It seemed like a well made pack but she got going through some tight brush after a coyote and came back with a messed up pack. I'd suggest to the OP going to a shop that sells multiple brands with your dog in tow. Different packs fit different dogs differently, a brand that fits my dog like a glove might not fit your similar sized dog at all.

Same thing a dog very interested in exploring brush . I wasn't super happy with the situation as t was s spring storm mix of snow / hail / mud / post holing ... And carrying the dogs pack wasn't really on my radar . Good suggestions

topher89

WKR
Interesting. Our lab mix has worn a Moutainsmith pack for years with no problems. This includes off-trail backpacking miles. We have loved it and it has stood up to the test of time

AdamW

WKR
We've got the RuffWear Approach pack. Used to use it a lot and it stayed on well and was well made.

Ed T

Lil-Rokslider
I had Ruffwear, a Granite Gear and Mountain Smith dog packs. The Ruffwear Palisades is by far the best. Have used them with Labs & BC's. Did a trip last weekend and my Lab carried his food, bed, bowl and a fleece coat in his pack.

JDZ

WKR
After trying a few different packs on our collie, we wanted a day pack that would stay put. The Ruffwear was the one we found to stay the best with good adjustment to fit very well. I really don't see how any dog, terrain, or vegetation could destroy it. We have the Single track model, which it sounds like may be too small for what you are looking for