Dog Pack

lintond

WKR
I'm planning a backpacking trip in a few weeks and want to take my GWP. He ways about 75 lbs and I sure don't want to pack his food!

Looking for some pack recommendations. Would like to keep it under $100 if possible.

COR

FNG
It's not always that easy. Some dogs won't tak eto loads and with only having a short time I'd be working with him as soon as you can. It also creates more strain on them and when it is hot it can be dangerous for dogs not accustomed to the load. This being said I like the Mountainsmth packs and they can be had on Sierra Trading Post for under 50 depending on your dogs size. I'd go somewhere that you can try them on because the sizing is sometimes difficult to assess with some dogs builds...or you could buy two and return I guess

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mo...m&utm_campaign=PCBJELLY4&codes-processed=true

parshal

WKR
x2 on the Mountainsmith. I've got one I used with my Vizsla and she was a scrawny little dog. She didn't have any issues with it. I've had a wirehair and shorthair both both loved to pull/carry stuff on a harness. The others that didn't like to pull have no issue with a vest when hunting so I think you'll be find.

I'm planning a backpacking trip in a few weeks and want to take my GWP. He ways about 75 lbs and I sure don't want to pack his food!

Looking for some pack recommendations. Would like to keep it under $100 if possible.

ive used a few. my favorite so far is the ruffwear approach. i find pockets that dont hang low to be my most sought after feature.
cooper river.jpg

Ed T

Lil-Rokslider
My favorite dog pack is the Ruff Wear Palisades. I like that the bags come off the harness quickly. Well made pack. I have also had good luck with the Mountain Smith and Granite Gear packs.

mtmiller

WKR
Mountain Smith
Nice volume, but poor ride.

REI
Nice ride, but too small.

Pack for next weeks trip is the Ruffwear Approach. No experience yet on the trail, but I like the volume and it fits well. I wish there was another clip on the chest for easier removal, but so far I think this is the best of the three I have owned.
http://www.ruffwear.com/Approach-Pack-Dog-Pack

Browtine

WKR
MountainSmith rides well on our Aussies.

EagleRock025.jpg

amp713

WKR
How much stuff are you taking in their packs? My dog eats about 4-5 cups a day of food. But when we pack she gets bits of my food and snacks so 5 cups lasts about 2 days on average. Those packs all look stuffed....

my dogs usually pack around 20lbs for a weekend. by fall id go 25 on my male but he doesnt usually get to come anymore around then.
thats usually a quart ziploc of food, per side and beer/wine for me as weight/space allow.
ive been researching some of the dehydrated dog food and im getting mixed reviews but it would be awesome for longer trips.

amp713

WKR
Hmmm I havent weighed out her food to see how much it comes in at. but she doesnt get to go hunt with me, just scouting so ive never worried about it, its more of a training weight at that point!

mtmiller

WKR
How much stuff are you taking in their packs? My dog eats about 4-5 cups a day of food. But when we pack she gets bits of my food and snacks so 5 cups lasts about 2 days on average. Those packs all look stuffed....

My pup gets two cups a day. On this trip we were probably closer to 3 a day. Pack was holding his food, my water filter, fishing lure box and an empty water bottle...probably some extra junk as well. Pack would have been under 15#.

24458_610307822330603_500789036_n.jpg
i believe its a size Lg, idk the CI rating.
kind of funny, my dogs are all different weights/shapes (ones tall and lean, ones avg and stout, ones shorter and rounder) and they all fit the pack with minimal adjustments. skinny with a deep chest is the same as big and round. lol.