Dog issue…

Ucsdryder

WKR
GSP
3.5 years old. Always healthy as a horse.
Had surgery last month to fix a barber wire cut that never healed correctly. It was a 3” spot on her leg. I don’t think this is relevant and looks good.

Tuesday she ate ok, but not her normal voracious appetite

Wednesday didn’t eat her food, ate some slow cooker elk, not enough to fill her up, her appetite seemed off.

Thursday and today won’t eat anything. Tried bacon, bacon grease, chicken broth. She smells it and turns her nose up to it

She’s been drinking water normally, not excessive amounts.

She ate grass yesterday and threw up once today, nothing but a little bile.

Not sure about her pooping, she poops in the rocks normally. I did catch her poop today and it was normal, just smaller than I’d expect.

Energy and disposition has been normal, she seems a little sluggish this afternoon, which Id expect after a couple of days of refusing food.

I’m trying to make it until Monday to see the normal vet that wasn’t available today or this weekend. Emergency vet is an option that I’ll do if necessary but those guys bend me over and don’t bother bringing out the lube.

At first I thought blockage, she’s known to eat random crap she steals from the kids, but drinking water normally and not vomitting makes me think maybe that’s not it?

I have some leftover antibiotics I could force feed her but she doesn’t even want to open her mouth for me to look for sores, wouldn’t be easy. She did chew on a bone last night that she found (we were at a friend’s cabin the last couple of days).

Oh and side note, the mosquitoes are worse than I’ve ever seen them in the Colorado mountain.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
My guess would be an infection, probably worth treating with a broad spectrum.
I’m leaning toward antibiotics and see if she gets better or worse in 24 hours.

Anybody have a trick to getting pills down a dogs throat? I’ve had mediocre luck shoving a pill as far I can down her throat then lifting her head up and massaging her neck.

Wellsdw

WKR
I’d hold off til vet Monday. Not a fan of antibiotics on empty stomach. As long as she is drinking, peeing, and not bloated I’d just maintain coarse. A dog not exerting themselves need less water than you think. Does she look like she is moving around comfortably?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I’m leaning toward antibiotics and see if she gets better or worse in 24 hours.

Anybody have a trick to getting pills down a dogs throat? I’ve had mediocre luck shoving a pill as far I can down her throat then lifting her head up and massaging her neck.
That's the way I always do it. Index finger right down the throat.

chemist

FNG
I would check her temperature. If she has an excessive temperature I would bite the bullet and go to the emergency vet. If her temperature is normal I would monitor her condition for bloat and dehydration while I wait until Monday.

Feel her stomach and make sure it feels normal and not hard.

Pinch her gum and count the time for color to return.

Thursday and today won’t eat anything.
Pain, stress, infections are usually result in appetite changes like what you’re describing. Have you tried a short training session with whatever rewards the pup likes? A real quick and basic obedience session with a handful of treats will sometimes get a good response.
Anybody have a trick to getting pills down a dogs throat?
I’ve yet to meet a dog that didn’t like peanut butter.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I would check her temperature. If she has an excessive temperature I would bite the bullet and go to the emergency vet. If her temperature is normal I would monitor her condition for bloat and dehydration while I wait until Monday.

No tenderness

I’ll check the gums and temp.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Pain, stress, infections are usually result in appetite changes like what you’re describing. Have you tried a short training session with whatever rewards the pup likes? A real quick and basic obedience session with a handful of treats will sometimes get a good response.

I’ve yet to meet a dog that didn’t like peanut butter.
Won’t touch peanut butter. It’s her favorite food.

She will absolutely not touch food. Regardless of what it is. I’ve never seen a dog do anything like it.

Good call on the bloat

3forks

WKR
Typically a vet will tell you to not give your dog food for 24 to 48 hours if the dog has a GI issue like the runs, but hamburger p or chicken and rice is the go to food when your dog has GI issues or doesn’t want to eat. Bacon, and for sure bacon grease can/will give your dog pancreatitis.

Baby aspirin (coated) is recommended if your dog seems to be in pain, but as others have said, antibiotics on an empty stomach can make things worse.

A pill covered in peanut butter or put inside of a piece of hotdog (turkey dog) is what I do.

If your dog is panting or restless, walking around with a hunched back, it can be a sign of blockage, but sounds like she took a normal dump.

I’d watch and wait, but that’s easy advice to give when it’s not your dog.

She will absolutely not touch food. Regardless of what it is. I’ve never seen a dog do anything like it.
I’m damn sorry to hear it, something is obviously off. My pet med knowledge is limited to physical injury and some real basic internals, so not much help. I hope the pup pulls through and is just fighting a bug or ate a sock or two.

chemist

FNG

I had my GSP start refusing to eat and being lethargic when he was 1.5 years old. He had a moderate day hunting and then threw up in the middle of the night. Would not touch any food for a couple days. No symptoms except lethargy and lack of appetite. Chest X-rays revealed inhalation pneumonia. Vet said he probably inhaled dust with bacteria on it. He bounced back shortly after going on antibiotics. I hope all turns out well and suspect it will as long as you monitor the condition.

I would probably call an emergency vet. Not even touching peanut butter is concerning. I don't know what kind of dog owner you are but if something goes south I would beat myself up if I didn't do everything I could and lost her/him.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I would probably call an emergency vet. Not even touching peanut butter is concerning. I don't know what kind of dog owner you are but if something goes south I would beat myself up if I didn't do everything I could and lost her/him.
Yep. If she deteriorates tonight we’re going tomorrow AM.

Shoved 3 antibiotic pills down her throat. Label said give with food, may cause vomiting. Guess what, she vomited.

I have found dogs are like us. If they don’t feel good, they won’t eat. My GSP turns 10 this year. Every couple years he does something similar…as long as he is drinking and peeing I let him work through it. When his appetite returns we usually give him rice and chicken for a couple days. If they stop drinking, i take them to the vet.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
It’s been hot. Did your dog get overheated and stressed?
That would require her to get off her lazy ass and run around.

I don’t think so. It’s been miserable out but she spends most of her days laying on the couch or stealing the kids candy, which could be the issue.