Does the 223/6mm for everything change when hunt cost $$$

Would you use a smaller caliber (223/6mm) on the below mentioned five-figure hunts?

• Yes, I would use a 223/6mm caliber.

Votes: 156 57.6%
  • No, I would elect a larger cartridge.

Votes: 115 42.4%

• Total voters

Megastink

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 6x45 bolt gun, and the .223 thread got me thinking that the 6x45 might yield better results, albeit spectacular results with the .223. Now if only I can find 95gr TMK’s.

Why’s that? Will line out in logical, objective points- what a 223/77gr TMK is lacking inside its terminal range?
Because they do. Most guys who are willing to shoot the 223/77 tmk are still going to take something cooler on a big hunt. We can lay out logical arguments all day long, but at the end of the day, most guys are going to take something bigger/cooler on that hunt. Do I have data to support this? My data is, c'mon man.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Because they do. Most guys who are willing to shoot the 223/77 tmk are still going to take something cooler on a big hunt. We can lay out logical arguments all day long, but at the end of the day, most guys are going to take something bigger/cooler on that hunt. Do I have data to support this? My data is, c'mon man.

What?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

78074563dd90e80a969bda3e51978a58.jpg

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Can you define "cooler" please? I'm curious as to how this translates to killing.

eric1115

WKR
So like a .223AI?

huntnful

WKR
If I was already doing all my hunting with a 6mm on public land low budget hunts, and had confidence in my setup through proven field results, I would absolutely take it on any hunt like that. There is zero difference IMO.

I don’t personally know a single hunter (and I know a bunch of them) that does $50-$100k hunts that knows their gear and takes their equipment even remotely as serious as I do for my $500 hunts lol.

All that said, I wouldn’t bring a 6mm personally. But I also wouldn’t really feel handicapped if I had to use a 108 ELDM at 3200fps.

mt100gr.

WKR
Like a 22creedmoor? They're F'n cool! I want one.

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
Must just be trying to get your post count up! 🤣

Gotcha. You must have some amazing experience to summarily ridicule imperial information. Very interested in learning more actual specifics
That’s cool man, but I’m here to have fun. I hunt to have fun. I like using gear that I think is cool and effective while having fun. I didn’t knock anybodies cartridge choice, I didn’t dog on the efficacy of the beloved 77 tmk that you are so quick to defend.

But yeah I’d wager I’ve probably killed twice as many hoofed animals as most people here. Killed em with little fast bullets. Big slow bullets. Big fast bullets. Pointy sticks. I’m not here to be anybodies disciple.

wyosam

WKR
That’s cool man, but I’m here to have fun. I hunt to have fun. I like using gear that I think is cool and effective while having fun. I didn’t knock anybodies cartridge choice, I didn’t dog on the efficacy of the beloved 77 tmk that you are so quick to defend.

But yeah I’d wager I’ve probably killed twice as many hoofed animals as most people here. Killed em with little fast bullets. Big slow bullets. Big fast bullets. Pointy sticks. I’m not here to be anybodies disciple.

I get it. There’s no denying the efficacy of the 223. But it’s also not interesting. If I had one in a hunting weight rifle, I probably still wouldn’t use it. I’d rather use something interesting- a wildcat of some flavor, or something uncommon. Not because they are more effective, but because I enjoy them. If I hunt with a rifle chambered in something that’s available on the shelf, it’s probably because I feel like hunting with something old or sentimental. Chances are about zero that I would feel like shooting something uninteresting on any hunt, much less something I spent a bunch of money on if that was a thing I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Have you ever considered, even just once, that what you think “is cool” doesn’t matter to the vast majority of folks? I’m glad you’re having fun though, that’s the only way to do it.
But yeah I’d wager I’ve probably killed twice as many hoofed animals as most people here.
Have you now? What do you think is “twice as many as most people here”? I’m quite curious.