Does the 223/6mm for everything change when hunt cost $$$

Would you use a smaller caliber (223/6mm) on the below mentioned five-figure hunts?

• Yes, I would use a 223/6mm caliber.

Votes: 103 56.3%
  • No, I would elect a larger cartridge.

Votes: 80 43.7%

• Total voters

Sevens

WKR
It seems fairly popular opinion and accepted here that velocity is what kills and a smaller caliber with correctly paired bullet (223/77 TMK) is just as effective as a larger magnum of some flavor. It also appears most folks using the smaller caliber combos have ready access to public land hunting, so their total hunt cost is “minimal” compared to a guided hunt.

What I’m curious to know is, would the folks that shoot the 223 and 6mm type combos still elect that caliber if they had to shell out five figures for the hunt? For the sake of conversation let’s just assume the following.
- Your chosen cartridge is legal for this hunt.
- You are paying the bill (not a gift and you didn’t win the lottery).
- Target animals are a Marco Polo Sheep in Tajikistan ($40k) and a Mountain Nyala in Ethiopia ($70k).
- If you hit an animal and don’t recover it, you pay the full hunt cost and your tag is considered filled.

Machingeaneer

Lil-Rokslider
The premise of using the smaller, lighter cartridge is that you are able to practice more, be less affected by recoil and therefore put your bullet where you want. There are several threads on here proving the killing efficiency of .223 and 6mm on all manner of north American game animals. So yes, I would.

Maverick1

WKR
Is your question: Does spending more money on a hunt mean a larger caliber is required to kill an animal?

With that logic then a .50 BMG would be required more expensive hunts?

The more expensive the hunt the bigger the caliber?

Go back and read the thread.

The animals that died to the .223 don’t care how much your hunt cost.

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
That depends on state really some states don't allow that small of caliber for hunting. I hunt MD and VA. MD only requires 1250 ft lbs at the muzzle while VA requires .23 cal and above. If you hunt in a state that allows go for the .223

Last edited:
I'd be willing to bet that if someone was traveling halfway around the world with $40k on the hook, regardless of what they say, they are not taking a 223 and I am including everyone
It makes more sense to take a rifle you're not as familiar with (assuming .223 is their main gun)?

I'd have no issue taking a 6 creedmoor on my sheep hunt this year if I had one I wanted to carry. All I have is a RA Predator and dont feel like dealing with any rust issue on the crappy barrel, even though it does shoot lights out. I'll be taking my Tikka 6.4 prc, if my Rokstock and Maven show up in time which I'm sure they will.

yfarm

WKR
There are guided Nilgai hunts in South Texas that mandate use of a 300 Win mag following the same opinion that you need to hit them hard rather than accurate shot placement. Have killed them with a 7 08 and 308 without difficulty.

OP
S

Sevens

WKR
Is your question: Does spending more money on a hunt mean a larger caliber is required to kill an animal?

With that logic then a .50 BMG would be required more expensive hunts?

The more expensive the hunt the bigger the caliber?

Go back and read the thread.

The animals that died to the .223 don’t care how much your hunt cost.
Wasn’t the question, I know a larger cartridge is not required. Its does your confidence in the 223/6mm change if you know you have an exponential amount of money on the line when you pull the trigger.

Unclecroc

FNG
I’d take most game with my 6 creed and not think twice. My goal is to put animals down fast and clean whether it’s a pa woodchuck or a 40k sheep. If I’m not confident in my equipment on the farm at home why take it where it really counts?

180ls1

WKR
Wasn’t the question, I know a larger cartridge is not required. Its does your confidence in the 223/6mm change if you know you have an exponential amount of money on the line when you pull the trigger.

I have a feeling that a lot of people will discuss theory and tangential points. In practice (actually taking a 223 on an expensive once-in-a-lifetime hunt), far less will actually follow through.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, you`re saying that you would use a .223 to hunt grizzly or Alaskan brown bear?
Yep. I don’t see the point in using a cartridge for practice and then going to a different cartridge for a specific hunt. I am not expecting to take shots past 450 yards on anything, I know my limitations and the limits of my set up. Dudes hunt dangerous game with a fooking pointy stick so I’m sure my little 223/556 round will be just fine.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I have a feeling that a lot of people will discuss theory and tangential points. In practice (actually taking a 223 on an expensive once-in-a-lifetime hunt), far less will actually follow through.

Why’s that? Will line out in logical, objective points- what a 223/77gr TMK is lacking inside its terminal range?